What's new

Smallville 4/22/03 (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Is it any reason I LOVE this show? I can't beleive I had serious doubts about it when I first heard the premise. If any producers of the show saw any of my remarks, I recinded them eaerly Season 1 ;)..

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Bah, today's episode was something of Lana Lang meets Enough. I must admit, she got hella strong and karate kid-like in a matter of days. Also, I was really hoping for Lex to shoot the guy, but oh well. What's the deal with Helen Bryce "fighting for her life" one moment and the next day she's in Lex's mansion? I think that her possible accepting Lex's proposal may lead to her untimely demise, as I'm not sure if Lex wed this early in the Superman mythos. All I know is that a sub-par show today means that a really excellent Smallville is imminent next week. Sorry for all the questions, but what do you guys think?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I liked this episode.
I especially liked the song, 'Don't fear the Reaper'(version from Scream) they played at the end, when Lex wasproposing to Bryce

William-R

Agent
i liked the ep a lot but why were the lights out in the hospital wouldent someone notice and call it in .come on

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
All I know is that a sub-par show today means that a really excellent Smallville is imminent next week. Sorry for all the questions, but what do you guys think?
Agreed. I thought that it was kinda dull. In addition, the lawyer in me thought that the sheriff was so out of line in telling Clark that she wouldn't charge him if he did community service. It was "sentence first, verdict later." That's what we have prosecutors and juries for.

Tom Keels

Stunt Coordinator
So many wasted opportunities in this episode. I was really hoping Helen would die sending Lex over the edge, and he would shoot the guy having Clark see it and set up a "you keep my secret, I'll keep yours" scenario.

I also wish they would have played out the whole "Rule them with strength" plot line.

I told my wife after Lana was roughed up that this would turn into a "Lana gets a gun" or "Lana learns Karate" episode. Turns out I was right.

Just a wheel spinning episode in my opinion, although next weeks looks very interesting.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I also think something bad is going to happen to Helen because, well, she knows that Clark is something extraordinary, and we all know that people that know Clark's secret (who aren't cast regulars) usually die or go into comas. So given that scenario, and Lex falling bald head over heels over Helen, and if Clark somehow gets the blame for Helen's demise, well, that's definitely a big enough event to cause a huge riff in their relationship and could easily put Lex on the path of villainy and evil.

I was surprised at Helen's quick recovery after getting thrown around Pathology lab like a rag doll.

Sign Lana up for Black Sash!

Hated the new sheriff in town. I was hoping the resolution with the punk's lawsuit would have resolved more cleverly than to just have Lana kick his neckbrace-wearing butt.

The whole "citizen's arrest" pursuit was just odd, it felt so out of place in the town of Smallville. It was pretty grisly too (the guy i the shower tub was all cut up around the neck). This show can be pretty dark when it wants, give it that edge.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, as a recent devotee, I feel no problems in complaining.

Tonight's episode was alright. I made the Enough comment to my wife early on. It just seemed CHOCK FULL of very basic logic holes. It creeped through most of them, but they made the whole thing seem unreal.

So, the Sheriff doesn't believe Lana or Clark, but the three drunk frat boys, whom NO OTHER customers saw drinking or harassing her?

Clark doesn't countersue? They press charges (and immediately get a restraining order in, what, moments) and are instantly credible, while the longtime son of a local is ignored.

Waiting on a search warrant after the Doc is almost KILLED for a HOTEL (the manager could have let them in)?

The aforementioned touch and go Doc who is fine days later?

The situations seemed hellbent on placing the Sheriff outside the realm of believability. I like the show. A lot. I don't mind the occasional emptyheaded writing, but last night was fairly lazy plotting to get the reactions the writer wanted.

Next week looks good.

Take care,
Chuck

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Very preditable and lackluster episode. We need some serious arc eps right now.

--
Holadem

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I had a problem with the frat boys getting off because the whole thing was "hearsay." It is not hearsay if Lana and Clark can testify directly about the events that transpired.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

It didn't look like too good from the previews unless you want to get a better look at Clark's backside.

I'm still waiting for all of the info from the Swann episode to pay off.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
It was "sentence first, verdict later."
But this way, Clark's record stays clean, not even a misdemeanor. If you figure that he would have been convicted -- the sheriff did see him throw the guy and the windshield was smashed, you might think she did him a favor.

Of course, the entire legal situation seemed a bit screwy. How does getting beat up by Lana cause him to drop the suit against Clark? If anything, he'd sue Lana too.

And since there are lawyers present, isn't there some penalty for filing a false lawsuit? Why should an innocent citizen be forced to spend their money to countersue?

//Ken

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Roberto Carlo wrote (post #5):

I'm no lawyer, but doesn't the judge, and the judge alone, pass sentence?

Actually, I don't watch this show every week, so I'm at a disadvantage: Are the so-called "arc" episodes considered to be better in general than the "stand-alones", and what is the proportion of one set to the other?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Forgot to mention this.
Did anybody pick up on the Dukes of Hazard ref?

The new sheriff told Johnathan Kent
(paraphrasing)
There will be no more of this "good ol boys" routine(talking about how the old sheriff handled business)

and the funny thing too is, that the look on John Schneider's face, made it seem like it was ad lib ed at the last minute.
and that he was a little miffed for hearing that phrase for about the hundredth time

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I agree on something happening to Helen and pushing Lex over the edge. They already set this up with Lex willing to kill the guy who hurt her, but at the last minute, stopped himself from ruining his life with a murder conviction. With Helen gone, nothing would stop him at that point. It's the Anakin Skywalker syndrome where he looses his mother. Also, having Clark there would be the perfect way to set up a rift between them as well, although has anyone else notice this already happening? They don't seem to be as chummy as they where in Season 1.

Also, not only was Lex putting two and two together toward the end, I.E. Something inexplicable like the train shaking for no reason, and Clark showing up miraculously, but also Lana is starting to think up something as well, after having witnessed Clark throw someone like a rag doll...

I have a feeling one of these two will discover his secret as a season Cliffhanger. However, it'll be interesting to see if Lex will remain good in this version of the mythos, because I rather like the Clark/Lex partnership. Something different for a change.

Dan Paolozza

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know too much about the comic history, but Lex doesn't start out knowing Superman is Clark, right?

My only apprehension with this show is this: in the context of this show and with everything that has happened, once Superman arrives on the world scene, wouldn't it take all of 2 minutes for Lex to figure out that Clarke is Superman?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
In the comics, Lex never finds out Clark is Superman. However, they've diverged from the comics in some pretty significant ways.. Pete didn't know in the comics, for instance and Kryptonite just gave people cancer.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Wow, after last night's episode of Smallville, I really want to see that continued onto the big screen as Superman. Lex is incredible. I expected Dr. Brice to have died and Lex to have killed that schmuck before Clark could stop him, moving him further towards the dark side. Instead she lives, Lex can't bring himself to kill the guy and then he agrees with him pleading insanity and getting help, when you would have expected Lex to pull out all the stops to get this guy the stiffest sentence possible. It's gonna be a real doosy how he turns to the dark side. They're making his journey much more interesting than Anakin's.

NEIL V - Well Lana already saw Clark tossing great big bails of hay, one-handed. So hurling a guy, when he's agitated and his adrenaline (kryptenaline) is flowing, wouldn't be that unbelievable.

DAN P - NO, the glasses he will start wearing as Clark Kent will completely throw off any suspicion. :D

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
... and the funny thing too is, that the look on John Schneider's face, made it seem like it was ad lib ed at the last minute.
and that he was a little miffed for hearing that phrase for about the hundredth time
I'm not sure that he cares all that much. Do you remember the season 1 episode where Johnathan Kent starts acting crazy (I don't remeber what caused it)? He was driving around in his truck singing along to the Dukes of Hazard theme song.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks