What's new

small sub (1 Viewer)

Donald Kelly

Auditioning
Thinking about the Hsu STF-1, but the Dayton 10" DIY or the Hsu STF-2 might fit if I worked at it.

The Hsu STF-2 would be bigger than my current Velodyne CHT-8 which just fits in my SMALL living room. The Hsu STF-1 would fit better (not as wide). The Dayton is about the same size in width as the STF-2.

If the STF-2 is MUCH better - maybe I could rearrange the living room.

Hsu STF-1...19"H...10"W..16"D......32Hz...$300
Velo cht-8...15.5H.12"W..16.5"D....35Hz...$150
Dayton 10"..14"H...14"W..14.25"D..28Hz...$350
Hsu STF-2...19”H...14”w...18”D......25Hz...$400

The Dayton kit reportedly goes down to 28Hz. The Velodyne goes down to 35Hz. Hsu stf-1 to 32Hz, Hsu stf-2 to 25Hz.

Any comments on the importance of subs and the Velodyne are welcome. Use: 90% music, 5% movies and 5% coffee cup stand.

I have Axiom M22s and M2 for a center and may soon get QS4 surrounds.

Thanks

KenWA

Agent
Have you heard of the Acoustic Visions MRS-10? It's a 13.75" inch plus short legs. Our very own Ed Mullen reviewed it and gives measurements and analysis at:

www(.)hometheaterhifi(.)com/volume_11_4/acoustic-visions-mrs-10-subwoofer-11-2004.html

Donald Kelly

Auditioning
almost 14 inches wide and $450

How would it compare with the Hsu STF-2 (same size and $50 less).

Sealed subs sound better in small rooms? You get more and lower bass out of a small sub if it is sealed in a small room?

"The MRS-10 was specifically designed for smaller size rooms, the concept being that the shallow roll-off of the sealed subwoofer will combine with room gain, thereby yielding usable extension into the mid 20 Hz region."

Sealed is better for small rooms?

Joe*H

Stunt Coordinator
I dont know anything about this stuff but I was on m&k sound web site and they have refurb subs for sale, one that I saw might work is the k8, its $299.00. thay have others but they more money.

here's the specs on the k8
Drivers: (1) 8" X series. This model is NOT shielded.
Internal Amp Power: 50 watts RMS
Dimensions: (H x W x D) 10" x 13-7/8" x 10" (254 x 352 x 254 mm)
Weight: 21 lbs (9.5 kg)

Donald Kelly

Auditioning
This is confusing - so many options

I looked up some info on subs last year and was left with the impression that in the small and cheap department - Hsu or SVS were the best way to go.

The Velodyne seemed like a decent sub and was only $150, but now I am wondering about the wisdom of upgrading to a $300 or $400 sub.

I suppose any of the aove options would be a step up and reasonably priced.

KenWA

Agent
Actually, the reverse is true; one of the reasons to go to a *ported* enclosure is to get more low frequency extension. Sealed subs may roll off at higher frequencies. However, in a small room, room gain will start to affect the in-room response of the sub at higher frequencies than would be the case in a larger room. The effect of room gain is to increase the apparent output of the subwoofer down low, with greater effect as you go lower in frequency. Suppose you get room gain at 8 db/octave starting at 50 Hz. If your sub is flat in an anechoic space to 25 Hz, what you will hear in room is going to be a bass hump of +8 dB at 25 Hz, unless you use eq to flatten the response curve.

So, if you are aiming for flat response, the idea is to find a sub that rolls off in such a way as to match the room that the sub will be placed in. Thus the idea of picking a small sealed sub for a small room. Higher, shallower roll-off than a larger, ported sub.

Just how big is your "small" living room, anyway?

Joe*H

Stunt Coordinator
I found this on the m&k site, I hope it helps.

K8 $499.00
8" KX SERIES LONG THROW
50 WATTS
35 Hz - 200 Hz ± 3 dB

Donald Kelly

Auditioning
Thanks KenWA - I think I understand it now.

And thanks for the ideas everyone.

My room is 91 inches wide or about 7.6 feet wide!

It is a living room / kitchen so it is actually 27 feet long and 7.5 feet high.

KenWA

Agent
Donald,

I hope that whatever you decide, you end up happy!

By the way, here's a link to a page containing a cool Excel tool; it models how speaker performance is affected by the dimensions of a room and the reflectivity/absorptivity of its surfaces. It's easy and fun to use; I'd recommend that everyone here give it a whirl!

www(.)pvconsultants(.)com/audio/reflection/rrc.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks