What's new

Small Room, will Projector work?? (5 Viewers)

John-L

Auditioning
I'm a novice to this forum. I just bought a new house with a small den. The size of the room is 10 ft, by 10 ft. I'd like to put a couch on the back wall and mount a projector above it(on the wall or ceiling). Is this room to small for a projector???

thanks,

Dean_S

Second Unit
No the room is fine just be sure to use a screen size that's appropriate for the seating distance (about 8-9 feet). A general rule of thumb for determining this is that you do not want to be any closer to the the screen then about 2.5 times the image height for HD resolution (farther away for SD, ED) so for 8 feet using a 16:9 picture then you want about 38". A 120" 16:9 screen has a height of about 72", so it sounds like a screen in the 60-70" range will be perfect for you, which makes an FP overkill for you.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
John, the room is not too small, but your 9' seating distance limits the size of your screen. If you buy a 720p projector, you can sit closer to screen than with a 480p projector. With a 720p you can sit 1.5X screen width back from screen(9' back = 72" wide screen). With 480p you need to sit back 2X screen width(54" wide screen). 720p projectors such as the Panasonic 500, Sanyo Z2 are about $1500.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
A projector is a much more feasible option for a big picture in a small room than anything else, takes up almost no room, and no floor space at all. My 12'x13'room is set up like you plan, an InFocus 4805 mounted above my couch on the wall and a beautiful 80" diagonal picure across the room.

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
I feel obliged to point out that 12'x13' is completely different from 10'x10'. It doesn't sound like much of a difference, but grab a measuring tape and walk it out. Those couple extra feet make a huge difference.

I have a 12x10 room that happens to be pretty empty at the moment, so I looked at it when this thread appeared yesterday and I could visualize a small home theater with my 4805 and a couch. 10x10... no, I can't see it. But maybe that's just me.

12x13, on the other hand... yeah, easy.

John-L

Auditioning
thanks for the inputs. Yes the room is small, but I"m going to go ahead and find a projector that will fit my budget(below 1500.00). I'll also look for one that offers 720p.

I thought about just getting a Plasma TV for the room, but from what I've been reading, even though the room is small, a dlp projector will look just as good and I can get a little bigger screen on the wall, and save some money.

I'm also planning on connecting a PS2 and xbox to the projector so the kids have a game room also.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
dlp, 720p and less than $1500 doesn't exist. If you want 720 line resolution in that price range, you are looking at an LCD projector.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Well, maybe it seems to small to be a theater to some, but it's not "too small for a projector" as the poster asked. A 4805 can be mounted on the wall, placing the lens about 8.5' from a wall-mounted screen. A 60" diagonal pic can be had, maintaining the 2xwidth seating rule best for the 4805. One of the ~$2000 LCD units may give an even bigger picture before showing pixels. Again, no floor space taken. Your 12' dimension is even better.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Because of various complications, I'm using about a 6-8' throw from audience seating-line to projection screen, with about an 80" diagonal. It's a PT-LC75u, so it's only 1024x768 (LCD.) It's on the hairy edge of being too large, but it's really not that bad.

Given the other limitations I had, FP was the only way I could get larger than a 20" CRT display.

Leo

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"I'm also planning on connecting a PS2 and xbox to the projector so the kids have a game room also."

If the kids are heavy gamers, be prepared to change the lamp more frequently.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I think your room is too small. Your viewing distance will be what, 7 feet at best? Factor in the heat these projectors put out and you will have yourself a personal sauna in that box. Oh, and be prepared to see alot of screen door at such a close viewing distance.

John-L

Auditioning
good point drew, I think I found an Optoma at costco home center near where I live. I'm planning on purchacing from there and if I don't like, just return it.

Only way I'll know is to give it a try.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Right. Visibility of "screen door" is dependent on screen size, of course, not purely viewing distance...as you may have gathered from my post.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
My room is 10x11 and I am throwing on the 10' side with a 4805. I am using the free screen that came with it from Sams. I don't get any screen door sitting 9' from the screen and was very surpised when I hooked it up. I was expecting the worst, but people and myself are downright impressed with the picture quality.

The biggest thing I notice is movies that have a bad transfer look like total garbage, where on a normal tv they can look ok.

Brandon

rin

Stunt Coordinator
I have to disagree that a 10x10 room is too small for FP. You save at least a couple of feet of floor space over an RPTV and at the same time add to the viewing distance because the screen is flat on the wall. If you have central air the heat isn't an issue either.
At this point I think ambient light control, and throw distance are about the only potential problems with a projector.
Just my $.02

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I wonder if we'll hear back from John. Could be a good thing, maybe he's too busy enjoying his new projector! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks