Small minimalist HT system

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by duncanaxisa, Jan 16, 2014.

1. duncanaxisa

duncanaxisa New User

I am very inexperienced when it comes to HT, speakers and sound quality. I have read several similar posts on here but some questions persist in my mind. I would like to have a new HT setup as part of the basement remodel. My objective is to equip a HT with a small neat life-style orientated speaker package with good build quality and sound quality for watching movies. The room is about 10x12 ft. The goal is to obtain the best movie experience on a fixed projector screen. I would like to do the work myself if possible.- The room isn't built yet. Other than wiring, what else should I be thinking about? I read that acoustics are important. Should I consider acoustic diffuser panels to minimize scattering? I am not concerned about sound transmission to other rooms but rather improving sound quality? Floor will be carpeted.- Any recommendations on fixed projector screen 100" for under $1k? Room will be very dark.- Any recommendations on projector for under $1k?- For a room this size, is it worth getting 7.1 or 5.1?- And finally .... what speakers and receiver would you recommend for a 5.1/7.1 system for under $3k? I think that in wall/ceiling speakers would look neat but I understand these are expensive and often have weaknesses. Maybe the ideal setup would be slim LCR, ceiling SL/SR and slim SBL/SBR. Pros/cons for this combo? Is it better to avoid ceiling altogether and just do slims? Are slims just not good enough for a rich movie experience and therefore compact bookshelves present better quality and options for the 5.1/7.1 setup? I would appreciate recommendations with brand/model config.Thanks for your help with this.

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Speakers should always, always, be the biggest you can live with.Have no idea why you would spend $1000 on a screen for a $1000 projector is insane.You can DIY a screen for $300, then spend $1700 on a projector.

3. GregC

GregC Stunt Coordinator