What's new

Small designer aquariums? (1 Viewer)

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I'm looking for something to accent my desk, and I think a small aquarium would fit the bill nicely. I've maintained tanks up to 55 gallons before, so I do know what I'm getting into.
The problem is the total lack of style in anything under five gallons. The hexagonal acrylic tanks bother me to no end, but I can't seem to find much else in a 2-3 gallon size. If anyone has any suggestions on something that takes up about a square foot of space (height isn't a concern since there's a good six feet between the top of the desk and the ceiling), I'd appreciate it.
The Macquarium, by the way, is out.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Link Removed
He obviously misinterpreted what it means to "be bullish."

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
If I had a digital camera I could take a picture of what we have in our kitchen. It basically looks like a big vase. Perfectly clear glass. We put some glass blue rocks (they look like squished marbles) in the bottom, water, and a beta (fighting fish). Then the top gets covered with a special plant that the fish likes to eat the roots. The plant is held in place with a plastic ring that lets the roots hang down into the water, but keeps the plant upright and centered. Then some more glass blue rocks are laid around on top of the plastic ring under the plant to further stabilize the plant and also make it look better.
I think it was a kit of some kind that my wife bought. It's cool cause the plant doesn't need watering and the fish doesn't need to be fed much. We just make sure it's getting enough and some variety by giving it a few pebbles of food once a week. You still have to change the water and do the normal tank maintenance though. I also like how it looks. Very different. I'll find out more information about it (where she got it, what it's called, etc.) when I get home tonight if you're interested.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I've seen those Beta-plant-vase things at the local pet store. I also thought they were cool...
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Here's a 2.5 gallon tank...it's pretty "unique" to say the least. :)
Link Removed
It's made from a real Apple iMac!
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Check walmart,my kids first tank was a 2 gallon from there.It included a ugf and pump.I think it sold for under $20.
I have a 55,30 and a 10 running now but those are probably all too big.Since you have the heigth though,if you are interested and have the $$ you might look into a custom tank,I have seen some real beauts.
------------------
Chad's DVDs

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Mike -
No iMacquariums, either.
wink.gif
That is one of the nicer case modifications I've seen, though.
Bill -
That sounds intriguing. I wouldn't mind finding out more about the "vase" aquariums, since I haven't seen any such thing in the pet stores around here.
I have thought of going the custom route as well, but I figured I would look into existing (and less expensive) kits first. Thanks for the responses so far...keep them coming!

MikeM

Screenwriter
Ah well, it was worth a shot. I figured you might have seen only those clunky Mac SE based aquariums. :)
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
These look pretty cool.
Link Removed
Link Removed
[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on October 22, 2001 at 05:32 PM]

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I found some information online about making these "Beta Fish Vases" or "Peace Aquariums."
The plant used is a Peace Lilly. And contrary to popular belief, the Beta can't live on the roots alone and does need a supplimental Beta fish diet. Here's a couple websites with some good pictures. (By the way, you don't have to have the bow on the vase. We don't have one and it looks fine.)
http://www.violaorchids.com/unique.htm
mickey31.gif

[Edited last by Bill Catherall on October 22, 2001 at 05:38 PM]

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I'd like to add something here on the Betta-in-a-vase: If you build this, use a large vase. Preferably the largest one you can tolerate on your desk. Just because a fish is capable of surviving in a tiny amount of water does not mean it enjoys it. There is something to be said for quality of life, even for a fish.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Water quality is your main problem with something that small. That, and you have no buffer is something bad happens; your 55 gallon tank will take quite a while to cool off, should the temperature drop, whereas a little bitty amount of water will, obviously, drop faster.
Oh, and if you want bettas, talk to me in a few months. My yellow double tail just spawned. :)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Never, never, never torture a betta by making it live off of roots. Do not believe what anybody tells you if they say that it can.
Any tank less than 5 gallons, be prepared to do water changes a couple of times every week if necessary. Test for pH and ammonia at a mininum. It is so easy for a small tank to become unstable.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Eclipse makes smaller tanks that are all-in-one type of deals. The lighting and filtration (bio-wheel) are housed in side the hood which makes for a pretty quite and efficent tank for the money.
They seem kinda stylish to me.
inP020045.jpg

Good Luck
------------------
BAM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks