Small A/V Decoder/Sound Processor Available???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ElectronicHoby, Dec 1, 2009.

1. ElectronicHoby

I have a new laptop with HDMI out.

My plan is to play BluRay and Dolby/DTS encoded videos. I built a few class T Tripath amps and would like to use them.

My reasoning is such. First, the power specs for A/V Receivers is so misleading. The rating is for one channel being driven. So a receiver touting 120 watts each channel, may actually, under test be 50 or so with all 7 channels running.

So, I have 3 TriPath true 100 watts per channel amps that are pretty small. I also know HDMI is the only way to get Dolby HD or DTS MA. So is there a small A/V processor that I can connect my HDMI out of my laptop too, then connect the output of the processor to my three amps (this will give me 6.1 at most).

Hope I am explaining my intent clear enough.

Thanks for anyones help in advance

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Look out for the new Emotiva UMC-1:

http://emotiva.com/umc1.shtm

Also discussed in this occasionally revived thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/287688/emotiva-umc-1-av-pre-amp-comming-next-month

AFAIK, no other quality, HD prepro comes close to this budget range.

Your other alternative would be to just buy a lower end AVR and use it as a prepro (like some of us have been doing), especially if you're not looking for audiophile level performance. I currently just use a Yamaha 663 AVR for just that -- driving my old B&K 5-channel amp. IIRC, I paid somewhere in the $300-350 range maybe 1-1/2 years ago for the Yammy. If you only actually need M-PCM over HDMI, not actual decoding of the compressed HD formats, then you might have moderately more options at the low end -- maybe you can even pick up a lightly used Yamaha 661 for that instead.

I may eventually upgrade to the Emotiva (or maybe something else), but for now, I'm quite satisfied w/ the Yammy AVR as a prepro.

_Man_

3. Rebecca135

Rebecca135 Auditioning

Hi buddy, thanks for the information. Check out my site for sales coupon coupon codes cheers

4. BillMike

BillMike Auditioning

I may eventually upgrade to the Emotiva (Cheap tiffany jewelry?), but for now, I'm quite satisfied w/ the Yammy AVR as a prepro.

5. BasketNike

BasketNike Auditioning