What's new

Slow time of the Year. (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Theodore J. Mooney

Looking forward to the following DVD releases this year (2011) ...

MARCH

29TH - Here's Lucy: Season 4, Dennis the Menace: Season 1

APRIL

12TH - Dragnet 60s: Season 4 (final season)

26TH - The Lucy Show: Season 4, Growing Pains: Season 2

MAY

17TH - All in the Family: Season 9 (final season)

Hey Theodore, It is good to see that you are happy with the release schedule. I am looking forward to Emergency! Greatest Rescues, Vegas S2-V2, Deadman Gun S2, Hawaii Five-O S11, etc. I was hoping that Adam-12 S6 would be out by now as there is only S6/S7 left to released. I also have order S6-V1 of Melrose Place as well. The news of releases has been few and far between. I am actually using this year to complete my collection on some different shows. I basically have many shows i want in my completion.

I am also looking forward to more HB releases, especially if Sealab comes out along with herculoids, etc. I love re-living the Saturday morning cartoons, it is too bad they could not include the saturday morning preview shows with the releases. I remember as kid waiting for the preview show to tell me what was coming out on saturday.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I still believe this year appears to be one of slowest ever for dvd releases. I know that its only April 2011, but, Jan-Jun are typically the strongest part of the release schedule. The only announcement coming out after june has been the Simpsons. June 2011 looks very light and i have notice july-august tend to be light if you look at the past results.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by younger1968
I still believe this year appears to be one of slowest ever for dvd releases. I know that its only April 2011, but, Jan-Jun are typically the strongest part of the release schedule. The only announcement coming out after june has been the Simpsons. June 2011 looks very light and i have notice july-august tend to be light if you look at the past results.

Agree, it's slowed down a lot so far this year. I have a few sets in the Amazon cart but the list is short.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

Agree, it's slowed down a lot so far this year. I have a few sets in the Amazon cart but the list is short.

Currently, I have only hawaii five-o S11, Dallas the movies and Melrose Place S6-V1 out for order. I was hoping to see Adam-12, S6 come out this year, but it does not appear to be on shout factory's list for release. I am using this year to buy WB Archive cartoons, like Jabberjaw, Valley of Dinosaurs, New Adventures of Gilligans, etc. I also want to purchase Mission impossible and hope they package the fugitive as well as complete set. Man from uncle is also on my list.

To be honest i have 63 completed shows now and have just about all the shows i want. I would love to complete shows like Night Gallery, SWAT, Adam-12 and Hawaii Five-O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Yeah, the slowdown has definitely hit. But for Shout and Timeless, things would be beyond grim for me in terms of upcoming releases. There were only six releases in the first quarter that interested me, and I've yet to pick up half of those because even they weren't high priority sets. The second quarter schedule, thus far, only boasts of four "must buy" releases for me. Only four! I can't tell you the last time I was only looking at four dvd sets for the 2nd quarter of the year. It's possible another couple of sets might be announced, but even if that's the case this year has seen a huge slowdown when it comes to Classic TV.

Gary "if Shout & Timeless are taken out of the equation my purchases slow down to almost a trickle" O.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Because I've started watching Classic Doctor Who serials, I'm guaranteed at least one new release a month through the end of 2012... and most times two per month.

Other than that, though, the well seems a bit dry. Even Shout has been unable to follow-up on shows like Facts of Life and Rhoda. And what looks like Fox's policy of one season per year of The Simpsons is more than pathetic.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by younger1968
Currently, I have only hawaii five-o S11, Dallas the movies and Melrose Place S6-V1 out for order. I was hoping to see Adam-12, S6 come out this year, but it does not appear to be on shout factory's list for release. I am using this year to buy WB Archive cartoons, like Jabberjaw, Valley of Dinosaurs, New Adventures of Gilligans, etc. I also want to purchase Mission impossible and hope they package the fugitive as well as complete set. Man from uncle is also on my list.

To be honest i have 63 completed shows now and have just about all the shows i want. I would love to complete shows like Night Gallery, SWAT, Adam-12 and Hawaii Five-O.

I want to see Adam-12 completed big-time. With 2 more to go, this one might make it. It would be great to peek at those sales #'s for S5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary OS
Yeah, the slowdown has definitely hit. But for Shout and Timeless, things would be beyond grim for me in terms of upcoming releases. There were only six releases in the first quarter that interested me, and I've yet to pick up half of those because even they weren't high priority sets. The second quarter schedule, thus far, only boasts of four "must buy" releases for me. Only four! I can't tell you the last time I was only looking at four dvd sets for the 2nd quarter of the year. It's possible another couple of sets might be announced, but even if that's the case this year has seen a huge slowdown when it comes to Classic TV.

Gary "if Shout & Timeless are taken out of the equation my purchases slow down to almost a trickle" O.

I looked at my runway list and I have two Q2 releases there. Low. I haven't heard of anything beyond Rawhide S4V1 on 06/07 that I'm interested in buying.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

I looked at my runway list and I have two Q2 releases there. Low. I haven't heard of anything beyond Rawhide S4V1 on 06/07 that I'm interested in buying.

My Q2 looks like this in terms of what I'm interested in:

Rawhide S4, V1

Car 54 Where Are You? S1

Father Knows Best S6

Wagon Train S3

I have a couple more that are very low priority and I'll probably buy when they are reduced drastically in price (50% or more discount):

Bionic Woman S2

Virginian S4

And that's it for me. There's nothing else I'm aware of right now.

Gary "it's been a very slow first half of the year for classic TV on DVD" O.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

Gary:

No interest in the Ernie Kovacs box set that's due out the same week as FKB 6?

Hi all,

I think slow dvd release feed into discussion with WB Home video last year when they were very non-committal on releases. I remember the discussion, especially for the cartoons that if you want more then buy the Saturday Morning sets. I purchased the Saturday Morning sets (V1/V2) and they did have some good cartoons, but, they really just had me wanted more in the Cartoons. My biggest concerns as the years go by each year then the market for classic tv starts to shrink. People age 35 and under are not going to be interested in many shows that are 30+ years and older and lets face it that shows 1981 and earlier are going to cost more to re-mastered along with rights, etc. I love to have more WKRP, but people complain about the music and studio was not going to invest much of their budgets to resolve the problem. I could say that many shows that are like 1 and done:

1. Benson

2. One Day at a time

3. SWAT

4. Fall Guy

5. Silverspoons

There are also many shows that release S1-S3 and nothing more. I have got so frustration, especially with shows like growing pains. Growing Pain S1 came out like 5+ years ago and now in April S2 is coming out. I originally order the set, but decided against it because i wanted to focus on completed shows that are currently available. If i see deals on Growing Pains then i may purchased it down the road, but, not now. I know it is catch 22 that if you don't buy the sets then the studio will not release more. I am ok with that, because it is not like they have done a banner job with managing the releases anyway. I think many studios jumped on the box sets in mid 2000s and then market dry out. I believe now many studios have cut back their departments along with their budgets and are looking at different ways to released the set. I can see more archive online happening with the studio. That is good alternative, but, if they do not atleast do quality control especially on dust and/or image then you will not get crisps images. I notice some issues with the cartoons, like funky phantom. Another poster said there was an issue with funky phantom disk 4 and if you check disk 4 then you will see it appears to be dust or something happen with a few frames. I am not being critical, but the reality is that quality may suffer if studios push too much out via on demand/online.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

Gary: No interest in the Ernie Kovacs box set that's due out the same week as FKB 6?

I don't think so, Shane. It would be a blind buy for me (other than the snippets I've seen).

Gary "hoping we get word of more Perry Mason soon - but not counting on it" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I don't have any interest in the Kovacs set myself because honestly, no matter how much I try, I just don't find the guy that funny. He's too much all about gimmicks than actual jokes or thing that leave me laughing long and loud.

For me, it's been a very active first part of the year with four shows completed (Voyage, Fugitive, Emergency and now Dragnet), the Canada releases of McMillan And Wife S3 and Snoop Sisters, plus the announcements for Car 54 and soon "The FBI". I am expecting to see Warner Archive as the year goes on to pick up the slack with more new titles to make up for the slowdown the other studios are now giving us alas.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"McMillan And Wife" suddenly and dramtically shoots it way to the ranks of titles that will be completed this year!

Very glad to see 2/3rds of the classic NBC Mystery Movie now complete. Now someone here in R1 just needs to pick up "McCloud" (and redo S1 in proper format like R4 has done).

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Kovacs Collection boxset is the treasure of the season. In barely 10 years on the air, he had shows on every network including DuMont. The boxset gives a good sampling of his career.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i am still concern that this will be a weak year for releases. The studios do not look that interested in completing series this year. This means many shows will continued to be stalled. It is sad, because i would have liked to see Adam-12, Vega$, Hawaii Five-O completed this year.

I continue to watched WB archive for releases, but i have only interested in Valley of Dinosaurs. I would have love to seen the Herculoids, Roman Hollidays, New Adventures of Gilligan's released by now.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I'm upset that Gunsmoke was abandoned. I was ready to buy all the black and white seasons at least. So far it looks like Bonanza was one and done. Wow. Arguably the 2 best westerns in tv history and not even close to completion. Were the sales THAT bad?

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
For Bonanza, it took about a year between seasons 1 & 2 to come out. So I'm guessing sales were ok, but not the greatest. Same thing for Scarecrow and Mrs. King.

I have no guesses on Gunsmoke.

James

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by JamesSmith

For Bonanza, it took about a year between seasons 1 & 2 to come out. So I'm guessing sales were ok, but not the greatest. Same thing for Scarecrow and Mrs. King.

I have no guesses on Gunsmoke.

James

I have adjusted by dvd buying based on the lack of releases. I have only three dvds in my cart: Melrose Place S6-V1, Hawaii Five-O S11 and Dallas the movies. I will be looking at other series that are now completed, like Mission Impossible, the fugitive, etc and that will mean deals. I have given up hope on the stalled series and will not lose much sleep if they are not releases. Something is better then nothing. I think the studios will need to go back to the drawing board on their budget on how they want move the old shows. As the years go by then i can see less market for the old show. I am thinking that the studios may just take a page from Warner Bros archive and released shows on demand.

It is sad, but the reality that re-mastering of the old shows unless there is market for the shows may not happen anymore.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I just picked up Man From UNCLE as it was on sale. My cart fo amazon is only showing Ray Brady Theatre, Mannix S4 and Melrose Place S6-V2. I have an order pending for Valley of the Dinosaurs along with City beneath the sea. I can not see spending any more money until the fall or if something comes up that i want, like Hawaii Five-O S11 (delayed), Adam-12 (S6), Vega$, etc. I would say this year is one of the worst for releases even the HB stuffs have been in dribs and droves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks