What's new

"Skyline" - New Alien Invasion Film (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Skyline reminded me of too many other movies: Spielberg's War of the Worlds, The Matrix, even The Mist. Shawn - you have your way of smelling a rat and I think I've found a way to do the same: never trust or expect a good movie out of people who aren't veteran helmers. People who come from commercials or music videos, wannabe-Spielbergs, hacks-for-hire and those just looking to get a foot in the door won't get my money that easily from here on in. I should've known better when my local paper lacked a review for this - usually there's a good reason why.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I had no problem with the effects, they were pretty much what I expected, it was just that damn story and the characters, neither of which I could relate to. Too bad, what a waste. Well, those brothers who directed it gave us two crap movies. I expected this to be the apology for AVP, but now they owe us two. Again, with AVP, I had no problem with the effects, it was the story and the characters that were utterly in he crapper.

Oh, well . . .

I'll be off this Firday, or Saturday afternoon to see HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HOLLOWS, hopefully, that should get that bad SKYLINE taste out of my mouth.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad I read this thread. The trailer looked interesting, but I've been saved time and money.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Ron-P

Ok, I give up, I'm waiting for a rental.

I'm going to respond to my own comment here with regret. I should not have given up. I watched this on Blu last night and absolutely loved it. Fantastic film from start to finish. The acting was what I expected, decent. The effects were mainly excellent and the non-stop action was awesome. Such a cool Sci-fi film.

WadeLil

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Ron-P

I'm going to respond to my own comment here with regret. I should not have given up. I watched this on Blu last night and absolutely loved it. Fantastic film from start to finish. The acting was what I expected, decent. The effects were mainly excellent and the non-stop action was awesome. Such a cool Sci-fi film.

Im glad im not the only one.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by SWFF

I had no problem with the effects, they were pretty much what I expected, it was just that damn story and the characters, neither of which I could relate to. Too bad, what a waste. Well, those brothers who directed it gave us two crap movies. I expected this to be the apology for AVP, but now they owe us two. Again, with AVP, I had no problem with the effects, it was the story and the characters that were utterly in he crapper.

Oh, well . . .

I'll be off this Firday, or Saturday afternoon to see HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HOLLOWS, hopefully, that should get that bad SKYLINE taste out of my mouth.

It reminded me more of Cloverfield. It would have been a better film if it had ended about 5 minutes sooner. It was pretty amazing considering it cost only $10 million, but decent effects can't make up for a lack of a really good story. Having said that I can see how some people might like it--if you just want to see a SFX movie and not have to put a lot of thought into it or make an emotional investment you might like it (there's nothing wrong with that).

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'd like to do a little backtracking here myself as well - after watching the movie again on Blu I actually enjoyed it quite a bit more. I think my disappointment with Battle: L.A. has something to do with it. Skyline was more a more suspenseful, what's-going-to-happen-next type of movie whereas B:LA was a war movie.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I actually liked Skyline but thought the ending of their ships conveniently repairing themselves with a no win situation for Humans has kinda been done to death.

Battle LA was just one big battle scene and was very predictable.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Sounds like it would have made an okay tv movie. Was it really released theatrically?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks