What's new

Skip the theater, Get the DVD? (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
BTW...regarding the cost issue, yes...that is the main thing that prohibits me from seeing more films at the theater. But what cost has really forced me to do is just to see movies alone before noon, or after 11 pm. I find that if I go with friends, it's more expensive since we see it at the most expensive time. I usually try to see movies late Saturday nights if possible...or Friday after work if it's something that I really want to see.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Guys, I hate to disagree with you, but it's really kind of a silly argument. The common theme that keeps getting repeated here is cost. Sorry, but that is no reason to stop going to theaters.
I agree. I seldom buy popcorn or any other snack item and I usually go to matinees, so going to the movies only costs me $6.50. That's not a lot more than a movie rental and my local AMC theater is pretty good: digital sound, stadium seating, etc.

Like John said, kids and baby sitting costs are a different issue. I seldom went to the movies when my son was very young.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Both were ruined by older people (who should know better) talking incessantly throughout the films.
Jodee, my wife and I had a similar experience when we went to see Star Wars: Episode II. Two older women (they were with their husbands) sitting directly behind us continued to jabber away during the film, despite our "shhh" attempts. I finally stood up, turned around, looked directly at them and said "please be quiet! You're not in your living room!" We had peace and quiet for the remainder of the film.

That being said, we go to the movie theater only once or twice per year now. It's just not worth the hassle, expense and annoyance factors. While I do miss the big screen, our sound system is better than many theaters.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I think that the cost argument is VERY valid though. Given that for my fiancee and I to see a movie will cost $25, and the DVD will likely be less than that, for about 80% of the films that are released I'll wait and get the disc (often times buying it blind). The problem with the waiting until it is in second run logic is that by that point the film prints have gone through so much abuse that the DVD will look better than the film would. Besides, being able to re-watch a movie the next day is useful sometimes (Mullholland drive for example).

So basically, if I can wait to see it, I'll get the disc. I still make it to theaters about once a month on average, but definitely not as much as I used to before DVD.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I rarely go to the theater. I hate our local theater. They only have like one or two auditoriums with Dolby Digital, and no DTS sound. I stay home because my sound system beats their's, and I don't have to deal with people talking, or worse yet, yelling. I was at Rat Race when it was in theaters, and during this one part, these people were yelling. I was about ready to go tell them, "SHUT UP!! IF YOU WANT TO DO THAT, WATCH IT AT HOME!". I also like being able to stop the movie when I want, and watching it over and over. If someone invites me to come with them to the movie theater, I will definitely go. But usually, I will wait for the DVD. I have waited for LOTR, Spider-Man, AI, A Beautiful Mind, and a lot more.

Chris M

Second Unit
I tend to watch the BIG movies on the BIG screen, but for movies that I really want to see, but aren't worth paying full price for, I usually watch at 2nd run theaters. I just saw Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmarron 2nd run and it was fantastic, and I didn't mind the wait. The price was good too at $4 each.

But I usually dislike renting movies, so seeing it in some theater and then buying the DVD is the way I usually like to go.

Chris.

MarkPayton

Stunt Coordinator
John Berger makes a good point - this should not be defined solely by cost. After all, how much have we all invested in our precious HT setups in order to be able to enjoy these films at home? In my case, it's going to take a lot of foregone theater viewings to recoup the cost of my moderate HT!:b
For many of us, it also seems convenience is a big factor due to kids, trip distance, comfort, not having to deal with rude moviegoers, etc. In my personal opinion, convenience is at least as big a factor as cost, and there are other reasons as well.
For me, if I'm going to take the time (and spend the money) to do a theater outing, I want to make sure it's going to be a really good time. Some of these events are virtually assured of success - I'll never forget having seen Jurassic Park on opening night at the Ziegfeld in NYC - even waiting in line was fun!
However, if you don't do your homework on the movie itself to make sure it's something you will enjoy, or have bad luck in terms of your fellow audience members, it can be a real downer. In those cases, I often feel I have wasted my money, time and effort. Because you can return/sell a DVD and don't really have to wait in line or go anywhere to enjoy it, this is less of an issue if you happen to buy a movie that is a dud. And it's fairly unlikely that someone will call the police to remove you from your home viewing - unless you're really p***ing off your neighbors, but I believe that's another thread!:D

Gerry East

Auditioning
I hardly ever see a movie in the theater anymore. For me cost is not the issue. I simply cannot find a movie theater with decent sound. I know there are some good theaters in New York, L.A., etc., but in New Orleans and Oklahoma City (the two cities I spend most of my time in), the theaters are horrible. Some of them have good sound systems, but they aren't calibrated properly, and some are downright unlistenable.

I can honestly say that in the last four years since I've had my home theater, I haven't been in a commercial theater that comes even close to my listening experience at home.

I miss the big screen, but that's about it.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
For me, there are only a handful on movies in any given year that really scream "must see!" and I do usually end up seeing them in theaters. All the marginal stuff is why they invented Netflix.:D

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
from an economic pov, it makes no sense to go to the theater. the costs are so prohibitive now it's ridiculous.
Actually, movies are probably one of the few entertainment options that are still affordable, especially if attending matinees or twilight showings.

Jerry AZ

Stunt Coordinator
I go once every three years; when the new Star Wars movie comes out. I guess that after 2005 I won't be going at all anymore. :)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Most of you seem to be implying that the money saved by not going to the movies will somehow make a financial difference in the future.
No, but it sure makes a good rationalization to my wife for all the money I spend on DVDs. My wife even commented that we would spend about the amount of a DVD for just the two of us to go to the theater.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I don't go to the theater. If I'm going to see it, it will be on DVD. Took me a long time to see Episode I.

Darrel Johansen

Stunt Coordinator
For me it comes down to convenience, quality, and atmosphere. The atmosphere at the theater is a gamble. It sometimes helps to enhance the experience with a group that's really into the movie. I remember a totally creepy Alien viewing where the entire audience was terrified, it seemed --my wife screamed and kicked her legs out at one scene. She kicked the bottom of the seat in front of her, and the kid seated there jumped about 2 feet into the air. People around us laughed, my wife and the kid were embarrassed, but I think everyone still enjoyed the movie. More often than not, though, the group experience is like most other's comments: distracting and rude. I saw SpiderMan and some guy and his wife had the audacity to bring a 6 month old infant to the movie. She'd get up and walk it down to the small foyer inside the doors when it cried so she could still watch the movie --upsetting everybody else in the theater because the baby was still bawling for everyone to hear.

The local theater entreprenuer has been quoted as saying that the profits made in the theater are almost 100% from the sale of concessions. That's why they want you to come to the theater --so they can sell you bad food at outrageous prices. At least that's the profit motive. So I find that the quality, sound level, film quality suffer usually, as these are only secondary interests of the theaters. At home I can sip a nice Reisling with fresh blueberries as a snack, or have a Foster's "oil can" and pistachios while watching the flick.

On that vein, when I go to the theater now, I'm often asking myself if the picture is better than my LCD PJ. Usually the answer is, "No." Unless you can get to one of the first filmings, the film stock is often worn. Focus/sound can vary. The sound is louder than I'm going to get at home simply because the WAF keeps it at moderate levels, but I'm sitting in the "sweet spot" at home and always get consistently good sound.

I've got two free tickets sitting on the counter (one for enduring the screaming kid --I complained and they insisted on a free pass) for about two months now, but considering all the factors, I'd still rather watch movies on DVD. I might have to go see Minority Report because I can't wait, but I suspect that I'll also buy that on DVD when it comes out and enjoy it more than once in my home theater.

John Stockton

Second Unit
Northpark was PERFECTION!!!!!!!! I get chills thinking about that theater. It was the VERY first THX theater in the U.S.
You are very close. Actually the Northpark was the second theatre to install the THX sound system. The first commercial theater to install THX was the Avco Center Cinema in Westwood Los Angeles. These two THX installations were distinct, as they were the only ones to be personally overseen and commissioned by Tom Holman, the inventor of the system. Both installations are now gone. The Northpark was torn down, and the Avco was split into two auditoriums.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
That's why they want you to come to the theater --so they can sell you bad food at outrageous prices. At least that's the profit motive. So I find that the quality, sound level, film quality suffer usually, as these are only secondary interests of the theaters.
Ah, that's why it's so great to live within a reasonable distance of the Senator. I've said it before on this board, but one thing I love (among many) about the Senator is that they have popcorn, soda, candy and that's IT. No chicken wings, or jalapeno poppers or baked beans or nacho pretzels or any of that other crap that doesn't belong at the movies. The only theater I've ever been to that really gives off the impression that they care about the presentation of the film, not just robbing you blind at the concession stand.

Scott Varney

Agent
Also, no one said that you HAVE to buy anything at the concession stand. The purchase of popcorn, candy, or soda is not a requirement for seeing a movie, nor is the impact of the movie affected by your purchase.
AMEN!!! It really upsets me when people add this stuff to the cost of seeing a movie. That's much like saying that everytime you watch a movie at home you have to order a pizza, go to the market and buy soda, and pop popcorn. It has nothing to do with actually seeing the movie.

BenjaminG

Stunt Coordinator
I don't intend on catching Men In Black II or the Scorpion King at the cinemas, but will wait for the DVD.

But Attack Of The Clones is a different story (midnight opening session and 5 subsequent viewings!)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
As others have said, I only go to theaters for films that truly benefit from the big screen. In the past three years, I've only bothered to see Episodes I and II of Star Wars, Spidey, and The Fellowship of the Ring. Later this year I'll be seeing The Two Towers and Star Trek Nemesis. Everything else, I just wait for the DVD (and now hopefully DVHS :D)
It's not a matter of price, since movie tickets in Venezuela are under $5. It's about comfort and convenience. Sure, seeing a big action flick on a 50-ft+ screen is awesome, but not quite as enjoyable as it could be thanks to noisy, rude audiences, moronic projectionists, and film prints that are run ragged in a hurry.
With HT projectors dropping in price while increasing in quality (D-ILA rocks my world, baby!), home theater becomes a far more attractive option for those looking to get the maximum enjoyment out of a film.
Now, can anyone loan me eight grand to get myself a nice JVC G15? ;)

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Let's see, I saw AOTC in the theater and before that I saw TMP. Between which my now 3yr old daughter was born. Going to the movies basically costs me $60 including sitter costs so it rarely happens. My wife even admits it is much better watching movies at home. She always thinks the sound is too loud. I do find it harsh 10/10 times and, of course, enjoy it more at home.
Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation615
Recent bookmarks