What's new

Skatetown USA, Patrick Swayze's 1st feature role. Will Sony ever release it? (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I have to admit to being disappointed. When I saw renewed activity in this thread I was hoping poor Brad was finally going to get his wish and an announcement had been made as to its release.

I'm hoping you get it someday Brad!!!!

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I didn’t know Shaun Cassidy was in Skatetown USA (1979)!

Someone at Do You Remember needs to do their homework. (It’s actually former actor Greg Bradford).
6B5E03E0-D068-4C2C-ACA5-3F9AE0CF8DBF.png

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Last edited:

Denham

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I'm happy for ya, buddy!

I know you've been asking for this one for a long time. I've never seen it myself, but being a lifelong fan of Roller Boogie and Xanadu, I'll probably grab it for nostalgia-for-the-era's sake.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I truly am happy for you, Brad. I know this has been on your wish list for many years, and now very soon you'll have it.

Maybe I will be as lucky with some of my most desired films (The Pirate, The Harvey Girls, all the varieties of Show Boat).

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I hope they cleared all the music. There is not one second of this film without a copyrighted song playing in the background--don't know if I've ever seen a film like that. As soon as one song ends, another begins. There's a ton of disco music, plus the Stones' "Let's Spend the Night Together" and other non-disco songs.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I hope they cleared all the music. There is not one second of this film without a copyrighted song playing in the background--don't know if I've ever seen a film like that. As soon as one song ends, another begins. There's a ton of disco music, plus the Stones' "Let's Spend the Night Together" and other non-disco songs.
I don’t recall Let’s Spend The Night Together being there (it might have been in the background at some point) but you might be thinking of the Under My Thumb cover by The Hounds.

You are very much correct about the extent of the music rights and I wouldn’t be surprised to see or hear a replacement song or two.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I don’t recall Let’s Spend The Night Together being there (it might have been in the background at some point) but you might be thinking of the Under My Thumb cover by The Hounds.

You are very much correct about the extent of the music rights and I wouldn’t be surprised to see or hear a replacement song or two.

I did realize "Under My Thumb" was in there, too. "Let's Spend the Night Together" played softly in the background while two people were conversing, IIRC.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
My hope is that as long as it took Sony to get this out, they acquired all the music rights.

I’m still in pain that Love At First Bite lacked the song I Love the Night Life on all the home video releases.

Denham

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
My hope is that as long as it took Sony to get this out, they acquired all the music rights.

I’m still in pain that Love At First Bite lacked the song I Love the Night Life on all the home video releases.

The Bridges song was reinstated by Shout Factory for their Blu ray release. I had an anniversary viewing a few months back. It's a solid A/V release- although it shares disc space with another film.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
The Bridges song was reinstated by Shout Factory for their Blu ray release. I had an anniversary viewing a few months back. It's a solid A/V release- although it shares disc space with another film.
Seems to be a small trend. The recent online release of Little Darlings (1980) had all music fully restored. Prior (and old) releases had some glaring music replacements.

The fact that all music of Skatetown USA (1979) is now 40 years old, and older might have something to do with the music rights finally being released (assuming Sony gets it all). But I could be wrong.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

I have that Blu, I’ll look again but I remember it missing. Not to say I’m not wrong.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It was missing on the MGM DVD (and even on a 35mm print I saw), but it’s back in place on the Shout blu-ray.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
There’s been a lot of consolidation in the music industry in the last few years, which may have made it easier to licence songs, as there are only a handful of labels to deal with now.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
And a lot of that consolidation has been to give Sony the rights to more and more songs and recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks