What's new

Six Feet Under Season 5 (1 Viewer)

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

According to Ruth's biography on the SFU website, she got married at 19. I assume she got pregnant shortly thereafter, thereby making her either 59 or 60 right now.

Frances Conroy herself is 51, about 6 1/2 months younger than my mother.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Sorry I clearly see Ruth's actions in a different light. I don't think there is any "I'm going to save you" in her actions but rather more of a "George can't move on before me" motivation.

Considering how poorly she bombed at the social gathering before the meddling I think it's a clear case of a bitter old shrew that was out to hurt someone rather then save someone.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i totally agree with michael on the ruth/george thing.

ruth got screwed when she married george -- she did not have the whole story before she got into the marriage. remember the "fake scene" where she yells at him? i think she says something to that effect ... and don't those fake scenes usually tell us what they're really thinking?

i'm glad she rolled on george to his fiancee. it's a pattern of his to do this kind of stuff (didn't he do that to his former wife as well ... only she didn't have the guts to tell ruth)?

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I believe Ruth got pregnant before she was married, which is why she got married so young. There've been several statements about Nate, Sr. getting married when he really didn't want to. Nate, Jr. also found out he was an unplanned pregnancy. I wouldn't bet the mortgage payment that Ruth got pregnant before marriage, but that's been my general recollection.

Michael Reuben.. good stuf explaining who Ruth is.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

That reminds of Sally Field and Tom Hanks, in that she played his girlfriend in Punchline in 1987 and then 7 years later, played his mother in Forrest Gump.

Rico talking to Ruth about sex was both disturbing and hilarious at the same time! Yes, I know it was fake, but still.....

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
A favorite example, but not the best, because Sally Field played her own age (more or less) when Forrest was a child, and then was aged with makeup to cover the film's multi-decade time span.

Now, the truly egregious example is Jessie Royce Landis in North by Northwest. She played Cary Grant's mother even though she was actually younger than Grant (by about ten months).

(Picky plot point: Sally Fields' character in Punchline isn't Hanks' girlfriend. She remains loyal to her husband throughout. There's no more than a hint of romance, from which both characters turn away.)

M.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Zarhary I agree. I loved the scene with Rico talking to Ruth. I physically laughed out loud during that scene which is something that usually doesn't happen to me when watching this show.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
According to earlier episodes she said something along the lines of "You didn't do sexual things until marriage," which obviously had something to do with the young marriage. There's also the previously mentioned connection to Nate/Lisa and Nate Sr./Ruth in regards to "The Trap" of their marriages.

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
>> didn't he do that to his former wife as well

I believe Ruth is George's... eighth wife? Fourth? One of a bunch, at any rate.

I'm with Michael- Ruth did the right thing, warning George's next victim. Her actions weren't out of spite or jealousy... FRUSTRATION, yes, obviously, but...

Alex F

Stunt Coordinator
wow. so, heart attack? stroke? "numbness in the arm" immeidately brings a heart attack to mind but his eyes going up and his history of brain problems says stroke. either way, it was heartbreaking, seeing Brenda there at that church, alone.

amazing episode, I thought.

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
I was so sure it was going to be Claire to die this season.

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
While it does seem it would be hard to back out of this one, given the way he fell and the way he looked after the fall, I wouldn't say it's in the bag yet. And what was up with no previews for next week?

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
HBO is being smart about the preview description for next week as well - it doesn't reveal much:

David and Keith become comfortable with family life; Ruth finds empowerment; Brenda faces several truths; Nate brings the family together.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I hope we don't find out that the last 2 seasons have been Nate's dream while he was unconcious.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks