What's new

Six Feet Under Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I've watched SFU since the First and Best Season. The last Couple of Years I thought it was a pretty Tired show, Hopefully this year will be good but I think it's run it's course. I think when they skipped over Nate's surgery and returned to find him Married to Lisa it really killed they show. They built up this major life effecting point and never allowed us to see the after effects of it.

Joe:C

Second Unit
I've also been a watcher since the beginning. I think last season was a little ho-hum. It seemed like they just threw in "oh, yeah this is what really happened to Lisa" for shock value. Nate just suddenly figures out the whole conspiracy during the final episode. Not that I'm saying the show is bad, I just think season 4 wasn't as good as the previous three.
This season seems to be an improvement though. I really enjoyed the first episode of the final season. I can't wait till next weeks episode.

I think its because Claire looks so young(even though we know she's "legal" age).

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It's been a major issue (though in somewhat different contexts) on both Queer as Folk and The L Word.

M.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I finally got around to watching the season premiere last night, and I was very satisfied with how it's starting off.

It was a depressing start, and I love it that way.
IMO, this show is best when there's a very sad/depressing situation.

Peter Krause has to be the best at crying. When Nate breaks down and cries, it just feels real and makes it more depressing.

I like where they're going with George and Ruth.

Something's gonna happen with Billy, and it won't be pretty I'm sure.

I'm not looking forward to the surrogate thing with Keith and David. This storyline's been done too often in other shows, it feels repetative - even though this situation involves a gay couple. I just don't know what else they can do for these two characters.

Although I hate to see the series end, I'm really looking forward to the last episode. I hope that everything doesn't wrap up on a happy ending - I think it would work best if there was some misery left.

I have a feeling that the final episode will involve(spoilerized just in case) the death of a major character... and it will probably be at the opening scene. I'm guessing it'll be Ruth, just to show the "natural" cycle of life (ie. parents dying before the kids)... although it may feel to "bookendish" since the father of the family (Nate Sr.) died in the opening scene of the series.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Episode 2, "Dancing for Me". I suggest not reading further unless you've seen the episode.

My regard for 6FU dropped steadily throughout season 3 and bottomed out in season 4, but the first two episodes of this season have been very strong. For one thing, the writers are back to actually using the opening death scene in the episode that follows. The device of having Nate handle the funeral of a high school buddy may seem simple and obvious, but they took it in interesting directions. The conversation at the bar between Nate and the third member of the high school "trio" was the kind of thing that 6FU does so well -- insightful, risky, unusual. And I loved the conversation between David and Clair about harvesting her eggs and David's dream about the subject.

The relationship between Ruth and George is very painful. I thought it was important to show a scene like the one with the ice cream, so that you could see the source for Ruth's attitude. Frances Conroy did such a good job in the scene where Ruth appears to crack over dinner that I was genuinely fooled; by now I can usually spot a fantasy sequence instantly, but not this one.

Billy flushing his meds was obvious, and I'm glad they got it out of the way early instead of dangling it for half the season. I just hope it leads to something more interesting than a replay of the crack-up we already saw in the first season.

M.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
So far, so good. A excellent start to the season.

Interesting how the first death was 5 minutes or so and then this one was about 30 seconds. What a way to go out.

Nate talking to his dead high school buddy took me by surprise, as I can't remember the last time a character talked to the dead person.

David's fantasy sequence was pretty damn weird.

I feel sorry for Ruth for all she has to put up with.

I have a feeling that the final episode will be:
Ruth dying.
Nate and David selling the funeral home to Rico.
Nate, Brenda, Maya, and the new child moving to Seattle.
Keith and David moving to San Diego with their adopted/surrogate kid.
George being moved into an institution.
Claire and Billy moving to somewhere else in L.A.

Cal S

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone else think the apartment complex that Rico's "girlfriend" lived in was the same one that Bruce Willis' character in Pulp Fiction lived in? When Rico was in the courtyard with the lady, it really looked like it. I'm sure there are plenty of apartments that look like that...but who knows?

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
What if Ruth doesnt die, but is killed by Billy due to the way shes been treating Claire? Two birds; One stone. he flips out, she dies. What a fucking ending that would be. The pain of it all drives Claire to be a sucessful artist.

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
Wow - a total non-episode...they kept jumping back and forth like something MIGHT happen, but it never did...

I think the only thing of relevence that panned out from this episode is that Rico got laid...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
That's nothing new. :)

Quite a lot happened, actually. We learned that George is getting worse, not better, and we found out something about the origins of his mental instability. We also learned something about Maggie's background, and with Brenda already acting discontented in her marriage to Nate, his conversation with Maggie holds a lot of suggestion.

David and Keith found out that they can't adopt and have no choice but to proceed with a surrogate mother. Claire's world is closing in on her, between her mother cutting off her funds and Billy sliding into madness (of which she seems to be stunningly unaware).

Granted, the high point of the episode was probably Illeana Douglas' return, but that's because her character is so funny. She and Arthur would make a lovely couple. :laugh:

M.

Mike Slade

Second Unit
Could someone refresh my memory as to what happened with Illeana Douglas's character when she was on the first time? I remember her being hired when Rico left and then being fired but I can't recall the reason.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
She spoke of it in the last episode. I believe that she broke one of Ruth's cherished heirloom glasses at a time when the home was particularly stressed. (when isn't it) It feels like anyone of them could just snap at any moment.

That's what I remember anyway.

Second Unit
About the final episode....

A lot of people have mentioned Ruth dying during the last episode. I can see that as a good way to end the series. It could show Ruth and Nate Sr. standing together in the funeral home. It would be a good way to bookend the series(with a parent dying in the first and last episodes).

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I was out tonight and haven't had a chance to watch the latest episode, but I did discover some interesting information on HBO's site.

Beginning Sunday, July 10, 2005, HBO is moving 6FU back to Sunday at 9pm.

M.

Second Unit
I thought tonights episode was pretty good. It was kind of funny seeing the series two "crazy" people having a conversation.

I noticed that too. I'm glad. I'm more accustomed to watching new episodes on Sundays.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Two crazy people? Please, every one of them is nuts. That was some birthday party.

Now, what is everyones take on the bird? What was that supposed to represent? I have some theories. And what kind of bird was it? Is that a common California bird?

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I thought this episode was a great example of what makes this show so great. What a character study. So many great moments:

- The conversation between George and Billy outside.
- The conversation between George and Ruth in the bedroom after the party.
- The conversation between Nate and his dead father.
- I like how all the characters (or at least the Fishers) are just completely losing it more and more every episode.
- So what's up with that surrogate? She seems like a freak.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks