What's new

Six Feet Under 5-18-03 (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
There would be a certain realism to not explaining Lisa's disappearance so quickly; in real life, disappearances sometimes go unexplained for years. And there could be interesting dramatic possibilities with leaving Nate in limbo (which, after all, is the state he had so carefully cultivated when we first met him).

M.

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
6FU mildly laid forth a subtle contradiction that I think was soo deep below the surface that it could have been missed. A show predominatly about death took two vastly different viewpoints on the most contraversial death subjects today.

The beginning 'last words' by the condemmed gave the illusion of a condemnation of the death penalty. Yet, half-way through the episode Clair had a relativly guilt free abortion. Really matter-of-fact.
Now when we meet the condemmed's family we see that no one really missed him and they sort of all were indifferent, if not glad, that he was killed.

The lethal injection was shot in a way that it looked as medicinal, if a little colder, than the abortion room.

It keeps us guessing. What was the message? The only objection to the execution was by the executed. Both deaths were outside of the normal circle of life, man made killing of a human in a way sanctioned by society.

For all out there who were worried about a heavy handed treatment of the abortion issue, I think 6FU took an overabused after school special issue and really made it into a moral and emotional exercise.

John_VI

Second Unit
I was personally very depressed while watching the scenes in the abortion clinic. For anyone who has ever heard the expression "abortion mill", this episode depicts it perfectly. It was an assembly line and it was without emotion. It was far from clinical - it was more like.....industrial. A bunch of young women sitting in a waiting room, being called in four-at-a-time to abort their babies. A shot of saline solution here, a D&C there, and voila!! Very sad.

Combined with the mass murderer and his eventual execution - and his family's reaction to it - this was an episode which had at its core a complete indifference to "life". The only thing I found remotely positive in the whole episode was Ruth's new relationship.

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Combined with the mass murderer and his eventual execution - and his family's reaction to it - this was an episode which had at its core a complete indifference to "life"
But for a show that obviously tries to celebrate life in the face of death what is it saying? I worried that they were going to try to show the abortion as a clean, friendly procedure. Instead a VERY socially liberal show portreyed it in parallel to an execution. What a conundrum. How many people watching were quick to rise up in revulsion during the lethal injection in Texas (of all places, hint, hint) just to have a similar looking abortion thrown in thier faces.

It took no real position on the issues but instead challenged the viewer to rethink thier position. Very quietly.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if there's enough motivation or anything, and I'm probably going out on a limb here - but could we possible see this happen in the finale (or maybe even next season):

a murder/suicide involving Russell and Olivier?

Russell may be suicidal over losing Claire, and he may blame Olivier for this (plus he generally hates the guy) - so he "off's" Olivier then himself.

I had that feeling as soon as Claire broke it off with Russell.

You kill 2 birds with 1 stone in this scenario

jim barnes

Auditioning
Marc you may be right...
...but I was thinking more along the lines of a Russell suicide.
In the preview for the finale there is a quick scene of Claire saying "He's dead?". I've seen other 6FU previews that weren't even in the show when it aired so this may be more of HBO f'ing with us

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
Does anyone still think the entire season has been in Nate's head on the operating table? Every week, it gets harder to imagine a complete "reset".
I have felt this way since the opening show this year, it has the feel and look. Also, if you follow the path of Nate's hairstyle all year, its been very "Un-Nate" like. These last two eps, his hairstyle has gotten even stranger. And his behavior has become extremely erratic.

My guess is he wakes up in the last ep and we start anew next year.

Otherwise this season has been very strange indeed.

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
This is my first season watching 6FU (we're going back and watching the DVDs from the start). I think its great. The show really makes me uncomfortable at times - which is the hallmark of good drama for me.

I HOPE this season isn't all a dream. That would make the whole season a waste.

Claire's abortion seemed cold and quick, but these things tend to have long term effects on people, and I'll bet we'll see her dealing with it for some time to come.

I was also glad to see David stand up to Keith, but somehow I think Keith will win him back (he IS a major character).

And concerning the Lisa question, there needs to be some cliffhanger at the end of the last episode right?

Anyone know how many more seasons are likely for 6FU?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
For anyone who has ever heard the expression "abortion mill", this episode depicts it perfectly. It was an assembly line and it was without emotion. It was far from clinical - it was more like.....industrial. A bunch of young women sitting in a waiting room, being called in four-at-a-time to abort their babies. A shot of saline solution here, a D&C there, and voila!!
Based on several small things leading up to Claire actually going to the abortion clinic, I thought the above environment of the clinic was going to be the turning point and we were actually going to see Claire not go through with the abortion. First when they were getting ready to inject her, then when it didn't happen then, I thought as they were showing the girls in the beds, Claire's was going to be empty. I think it's really good how they make you unsure of what's gonna happen and still surprise you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks