What's new

Six Feet Under 4.03 - Parallel Play (1 Viewer)

John_VI

Second Unit
I really liked the first two episodes of this season, but have to agree that "Parrellel Play" was a bit of a let-down. I know that it was probably just "set up" for Act-II, but it really felt like the writers mailed it in.

Claire's entire existence is depressing, and I agree with the comment that if Claire and her "friends" accurately reflect the state of the 20-year-old mind, then we're fucked. I tend to think it's just a reflection of the artsy crowd that Claire believes she should be a part of, but is uncomfortable in.

Naked Neighbor has to go. I'm sick of him. So, he wants to be dominated? Isn't ANYONE normal anymore?? I know that a normal relationship makes for uninteresting TV, but.... How about Brenda getting into a normal relationship, and then - when she realizes what she has - wanting to crawl out of her skin because being normal creeps her out so much? THAT would have been a much more interesting story line (for me).

Getting married so quickly doesn't allow people to really get to know one another. Hence, we have Ruth just now finding out that George is a pompous, self-important know-it-all who doesn't know what he's talking about half the time. It should be interesting to see that relationship disintegrate.

Rico, Rico, Rico. Open your friggin eyes, man!!! Or at the very least, go to the doctor with Sophia to make sure she's telling you the truth before you cough up five grand!! Interesting thought, though, that Rico may be doing his penance by playing the sugar daddy for Sophia and her daughter. Regardless of how hot she may be, Sophia is a tramp and a user. But she's smart enough to know when she's got a live one on the hook. The tragedy of it is, if he went to his wife now and explained what happened he would probably be able to salvage his mariage. But once his wife finds out on her own - AND YOU KNOW SHE WILL - then Rico will be out on his ass, with no wife, no kids, and no mistress!!!

YOU CAN'T LIGHT A FIRE IN YOUR DRIVEWAY!!! ESPECIALLY IN CALIFORNIA!!! I hope they make a reference in the next episode to the summons they received for violating the city's ordinance against open fires.

I'd like to see the show use the business more in the storytelling, like in season 1 and 2. I miss that aspect, especially their conversations with the corpses.

Overall, I remain optimistic.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D

I disbelieve this. His wife doesnt have a job or anything. she needs his income.... for now.

I also think that it was only one BJ. I think Rico was smarter than to have sex with her (the daughters always around anyway. Perhaps Rico figures hes paying the $1500 to keep her in his life for the time being to try and break away from the routine that has become his life. a little added excitement. Still a fool however.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
My GF and I were talking about the turd bomber and the more we talked the more we thing George is sending them to himself. He is way out there and disliked Arthur enough to set him up knowing what would happen. He may also just want to hype himself as much as possible.

I am really enjoying this season and where it appears to be going.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D

Theres something I didnt think of before. but When would he have time to buy a gift basket?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
f'n hell. i wrote this really long-winded post giving my thoughts, but it got deleted. :angry: so i'll summarize.

1. the show still holds my attention
2. i like how we're seeing the separate lives of the characters
3. arthur was my fave - i hope he returns

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Rico's wife works at the hospital, unless she lost that job in season 2, I can't remember. It's been so damn long.

I think the storylines are still interesting, but I don't think this episode was as bad as everyone is thinking.

The "funeral" aspect might have been lessened, but I think we're starting to get a little bit of of how these people work when not surrounding each other, and the acting and writing is still very good I think.

Claire's story may seem uninspired, but she's the only adolescent on the show, and now that's she's nearly 20, they have to explore more roads with her as the youngest. She's going to continue exploring her life, and what's going on around her... trying to see where she fits into the world. It'll be interesting to see where she and Mena go, because she's clearly not hanging with her much so far... only an odd obsession. Perhaps she'll drop Anita for wanting to boink Nate, and start hanging with Edie fulltime...

Arthur was interesting, but it seemed like he had nothing left to add to the story, so his departure isn't too upsetting.

Nate is trying to figure out his place as well... and when he thought he'd made some kind of connection with someone, he was more than shocked to realize it was just "play."

David and Keith are actually boring me this season more than anyone. Their stories were usually interesting, and had something to do... Keith's new job is interesting, but it seems like the only scenes with David are him asking about Keith... and getting annoyed about the funeral home.

Brenda works when she's away from Nate, so at least we know her character isn't dead... but it's clear she's got a lot of badness floating around in her head from the years she spent trashing herself up. Her continued goal of having a normal life is against her nature, and she'll probably start to learn that soon enough. She doesn't have to be a dominatrix, but she'll never be "boring." I think she's just finding that out.

Ruth and George? I think she's starting to see a bit of her own mistake now... She acted irrationally, and now she's realizing how much of a phony he kind of it. Claire's questioning of his credibility in the kitchen reveals even more... that he's willing to cover lies with lies...

Overall, this season doesn't seem to be kicking into gear as quickly as the other ones, but then again, it's the 4th year.

The first season had a lot of room to explore with the concept, and the 2nd season was still pretty fresh. With season 3 they tried something new, and the show got a lot darker, and lost a lot of the humor and quirkiness. This season appears to be suffering from the aftermath, and my guess is that in the next few episodes we'll start to see the show returning to the feel of the first 2 years again. The stories in season 3 have to sort of fizzle out (Russel anyone? He's clearly not as out of the picture as we thought...) before the show can get back where it was.

While it's not up there with the first 2 years, it's still a show I dearly love, and enjoy watching every sunday.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

She worked at a nursing home and, if memory serves me, was fired because they found a hot dog in that old lady's throat who died. Rico found the hot dog when he was prepping the lady and alerted the authorities.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
But wasn't she working at the hospital during the 3rd season? Didn't a fellow nurse give her a bunch of anti-depressants?...or am I just imagining things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks