Singin' in the Rain

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by graham8z, Mar 29, 2012.

1. graham8z

graham8z Agent

Graham Davies
    Up for pre-order on Amazon UK £11.99 16th July 2012 buy date.

2. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    Many thanks. I have placed my order. (For those interested, this BRD is zone free)

3. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Yeah that one still looks good. I wish for that one and Silk Stockings; maybe if they ever do two-packs of the musicals? I think those two films would go well together.
    Seems like we're now getting one MGM musical every six months--whereas before we got one every two years!

4. Guest

Can't wait for Singin' in the Rain...not a big fan of The Band Wagon.

5. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    One can only hope that the too brown color of the Singin DVD has been fixed - it was nothing like the IB prints I've owned over the years.

6. Richard M S

Richard M S Supporting Actor

Gene Kelly's 100th birthday is in August of this year, so hopefully more of his films will be released on blu-ray.

7. Edward Weinman

Edward Weinman Stunt Coordinator

If WB can purchase the rights to the Samual Goldwyn library for release on disc, why can't they take time to release the treasures that they already control...meaning the MGM musical library. The years go by and...

8. NY2LA

NY2LA Screenwriter

Seeing the foreign release in the old' blu cheapcase lessens my hope that we'd get at least a proper digibook. How did the Blu of MMISL compare to the 2 disc SE DVD? I suppose we can hope for at least whatever that got.
    I saw the premiere of the Ultra-Res digi-restoration (RAH, does that qualify for it word?) let's say remastering - at the AMPAS Goldwyn Theatre a few years back. Every surviving participant who could be there was there. Looked so good you could see details like Kelly's scar and other things we weren't expected to notice. Wonderful evening. Panel afterward. Someone should've taped it. Not sure how they'll better that unless they went back to the seps and did the ultra-res again in 6k or higher.

9. darkrock17

darkrock17 Supporting Actor

Andrew McClure
    I think it's time for WB to lose some it's distribution rights, mostly the MGM libary from the Golden Age of Hollywood. Shout Factory or Fox could do a better job then what WB been doing. Warner Archives MOD was good in the begining, but now it's become the norm and shows there too lazy to put any effort into the releases.

10. Edward Weinman

Edward Weinman Stunt Coordinator

[
    I saw the premiere of the Ultra-Res digi-restoration (RAH, does that qualify for it word?) let's say remastering - at the AMPAS Goldwyn Theatre a few years back. Every surviving participant who could be there was there. Looked so good you could see details like Kelly's scar and other things we weren't expected to notice. Wonderful evening. Panel afterward. Someone should've taped it. Not sure how they'll better that unless they went back to the seps and did the ultra-res again in 6k or higher. [/quote]
    ...you know...I believe I was also at that AMPAS Goldwyn Theatre showing and, for some reason, the digital "Singin' In The Rain" showing did not look like Technicolor...it did not look like film to me...but, yes, it was a wonderful evening...the panel consisting of Debbie Reynolds, Donald O'Connor, Cyd Charisse, Camden and Greene, Rita Moreno...(parden spelling errors)...sitting two rows in front of me was Ann Miller...(I believe we are speaking of the same evening)...

11. NY2LA

NY2LA Screenwriter

Yes they ranged from ambulatory to ambulance story... I recall O'Connor got a hand for making it up onto the stage unattended, Comden and Greene were in matching wheelchairs. I heard Ann Miller fell down and broke her hair. (rimshot!) Bless 'em all... great to have them there, you got the feeling this wasn't gonna happen again. On the way home we passed "Sunset and Camden-nn."

12. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce

...you know...I believe I was also at that AMPAS Goldwyn Theatre showing and, for some reason, the digital "Singin' In The Rain" showing did not look like Technicolor...it did not look like film to me...but, yes, it was a wonderful evening...the panel consisting of Debbie Reynolds, Donald O'Connor, Cyd Charisse, Camden and Greene, Rita Moreno...(parden spelling errors)...sitting two rows in front of me was Ann Miller...(I believe we are speaking of the same evening)...[/quote]

The last DVD, sharp as it may have been, looked nothing like the dye transfer prints I've owned - brown is not what Singin' in the Rain is about.

13. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

Its £10.99 at Amazon UK now. About £ 12.24 shipped to the US after removing the VAT and adding shipping. :D
    Amazon.co.uk guarantees pre orders so anyone who ordered at a higher price will get it at the lowest price Amazon sells it for between the time you order it and release day.

14. NY2LA

NY2LA Screenwriter

Amazon is taking orders for the US release, and from the images it's clear that Warners era of using original key art is over. Now they're trying to make the old titles look new - like books rather than movies.
    Singin' In The Rain: 60th Anniversary Collector's Edition (Blu-ray/DVD Combo) $59.49
    [​IMG]
    America’s beloved musical gem, starring Debbie Reynolds, Gene Kelly and Donald O’Connor, celebrates its 60th Anniversary on Blu-ray for the very first time with an all new 3-Disc Blu-ray & DVD Ultimate Collector’s Edition. The sensational limited and numbered 3-Disc Ultimate Collector’s Edition will feature the film both on Blu-ray and DVD, and includes an all new hi-definition documentary, and special collectible memorabilia.

15. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    These Warner Bros box sets are getting a bit ridiculous.

16. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I hope the wait for the cheaper single-disc isn't too long because I'm dying for Singin' in the Rain on Blu-ray, but there's no way I'm springing for the box set at that price.

17. dana martin

dana martin Cinematographer

Dana Martin
    hopefully one of the vendors (Target/BB) will get an exclusive 3 disc digibook and eliminate the extra stuff, sort of like the Citizen Kane from BB, would be all over it in a sec.

18. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I love the movie, but I don't find that big box the least bit appealing, and an umbrella? Really?

19. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Second Unit

Jack Walder
    I'm a big fan of the big box sets, and I have them all. I really enjoy the printed materials
    included with them. The box sized hard cover books are always nice.
    But I have to agree with you on this one. I'll probably wait and see if a digi book becomes available.

20. Guest

Why do they use the most simple font out of all the cool fonts they could use? Do they think that the customer can't read anything more fancy?