What's new

Simultaneous DVD-A and SACD hookup (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
hi,

I have an RP82 with DVD-A and am looking for a 2nd player with progressive scan AND A BUILT-IN SCREENSAVER (to protect plasma), and might as well come with SACD - any recommended players?

since receivers only have 1 analog 6 channel input - is there a recommended way to hook up both?

thanks

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I also would like to find out if this is possible. I will be getting a SACD player later this year and I already have my DVD player hooked up to 6 analog inputs.

Is there a switch out there?

Paul

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Philip,

Yes you do. I use one of the switchers in my second system, and ordered all the cables I need from Parts Express for somewhere around $40 / 12 pair, including shipping.

Regards,

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I use the Radio Shack switch boxes, and they are great. As for cables, it doesn't have to be that big a deal. If you are running separate DVD-Audio and SACD players into a receiver with two sets of multi-channel inputs, you need 6 pairs of cables. If you have separate components and use the Radio Shack switch boxes with a receiver with one set of multi-channel inputs, you need 9 pairs of cables. Unless you are using high-end cables, the extra three pairs shouldn't break the bank. I have separate DVD-Audio and SACD players and a receiver with one set of multi-channel inputs. I gladly bought the Radio Shack switch boxes for $30 and three more pairs of cables. That ran me a lot less than buying a new receiver like the Sony STR-DA4ES.

Ron S

Stunt Coordinator
Or you *could* just connect the SACD player via two channel analog to the receiver, and reserve the DVD-A player for the multichannel inputs. Or vice-versa.

You'd give up multichannel SACD with the first option. For my own tastes, I find I rarely listen to the multichannel portion of SACD's. The fidelity of the 2 channel output is so good, plus there are numerous 2 channel only SACD's.

Multichannel makes more sense to me for DVD-A, as you can use the DVD's player's capabilities insofar as DD and DTS tracks.

Just another option, YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks