What's new

Simulated 5.1? (1 Viewer)

Gary Silverman

Stunt Coordinator
My brother-in-law wants 5.1, but is convinced that, with his room set-up, he can't use rear speakers. Somewhere on the web I saw a system that somehow uses the 2 front speakers to simulate the rears.I don't know how it works or how it sounds, but we'd like to look at it. Has anyone seen this?

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Gary,
most A/V receiver can simulate 5.1 surround system with only the front & center channel speakers. Just go to a dealer and ask. Hope that helps.

Hugo

CraigEG

Agent
there is always the bose 3-2-1 system.. (yeah i know) but this may be what you saw on the web

BrentPollard

Second Unit
If your brother in-law really cannot put up rear speakers I would suggest building the best stereo setup he can buy instead of messing around with fake, mostly crappy sounding simulated 5.1. I have listened to simulated 5.1 and it does put up some ambiance but it is a smeared hollow sound. Top notch stereo would be better.IMHO;)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I totally agree with brent. Better stereo is the way to go, and cheaper to do to. Although, if you got a regular receiver, you could just tell it that you dont have surrounds, and use three front speakers. That would sound very nice also.

That's how they're supposed to be normally.

But yeah, avoid simulated surround like the plague. And avoid the 3-2-1 POS even more.

If he's willing to get a nice system, what about in-walls?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks