What's new

"Simpsons" stars in work stoppage (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Part of me says they deserve it (even though the show is past its prime and the money should be considered for the past work), and part of me says that the way the current season is looking, I probably wouldn't miss them.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
If you consider the amount of work they have to put in for the return they're getting, they appear to be losing sight of reality.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
there's no sense in trying to quantify "what they deserve"... it's all about what they can get away with extracting from the people what give them their paycheques. i hope that doesn't sound bad, but that's business.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's about what the market will bear, not what other people think they deserve. With the amount of money Fox makes on The Simpsons, the market can certainly bear giving them a raise.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, this is not the first time this has happened. A lot of the stars of successful shows hold out at renegotition time.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
I think they deserve more money. Look how much live action actors are making. Yeah, its voice talent, but the voice makes up half the character.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I think its time to put the Simpsons to rest.

Ive only enjoyed a handful of episodes the past 4 or 5 years.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I think these people deserve it. They are a major part of the success of this show. Their pay should be based on their contribution to the success of the show, and not on how much time it takes them. Fox puts very little into the show and gets a great return on it, the voice actors, as well as the writers and other key staff, deserve a fair chunk of that. I also hope they get a fair share of the syndicated profits as well as the DVDs. I don't think I would enjoy the show very much if they changed actors at this point, I just don't think it could work.

Of course, I think this could hurt the chances for the show carrying on much longer. I too feel that it's gone downhill the past few seasons.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
They've talked about chalenging Gun Smoke for the number of seasons and episodes, but IMO its time for the First Family of Springfield to ride off in to the sunset and make a movie or 2 on the way out.

I do however, believe the acters deserve more money.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I think Fox should let them walk and hire replacements.

All the worthwhile writing talent was replaced by third-rate charlatans many seasons ago. I don't see why a completely new cast won't do just fine.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
While they're at it, get some new writers who remember what the show is about... a family who dealt with realistic problems. Remember the Christmas episode? When they were broke? Genius. Now it's just a fantasy. You would think that recording the commentaries for the old episodes would have showed the creators just how far they've strayed, and not in a good way, but that just hasn't happened.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
New voice actors?

Reminds me of the episode where Mr. Burns adopts Bart, and they watch the fake family on closed circuit TV:

"I do not miss Bart at all."

"Duh - oh!"

That's them, all right...

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm the only one here who feels it would be a disaster to replace them and that I'll miss the show immensely if it's cancelled. It's still better than all other sitcoms currently on the air.

That said, I think $125K per episode should make anyone happy, especially when it's voicework only. They get per episode what it takes most people several years to earn, and good for them. To not be satisfied with that is shameful. That might not be the right way to look at it, but that's how I see it...

/Mike

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, my understanding is that their last agreement ran out some time ago, and they are doing this to help jumpstart getting a new agreement.

As others have said, what you get paid is often what you can get, and not always what you deserve.

Jason

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Replacing them is not that simple, especially since Hank Azaria, Nancy Cartwright, Dan Castellenata and Harry Shearer do so many characters, there's no way they can find replacements for all the characters. Plus they know the show has been ingrained for 15 years with the same voices. If they start to change, then they will alienate the audiences. If Rupert Murdoch cuts these guys loose, then they may as well chuck the show. I know its gone downhill of late, but it's still far better than any other 30 min sitcom out there. Even Malcom in the Middle has gone downhill.

Fox can make this choice, but I wouldn't be surprised if viewers abandoned them if the Simpson voices are replaced or the show gets cancelled.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I say let 'em walk. They are asking for over 300,000 per episode, rather than the 125,000 they currently make. Sickens me.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Why? What the hell do you care how much money someone else makes? Besides, if News Corp is making enough money per episode to afford giving the talent said salary, would you rather that the money go to the voice actors or some middle-management guy at the Fox network?

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I'm sure they'll get paid. I don't think personally they deserve it. But they have the right to demand whatever they want.

I think the show is WAY past it's prime - but whatever, people still like it, so it's important to Fox to keep it alive I guess.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I will stop watching this show if the main actors leave. It will be just too distracting to hear different voices.

Maude anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks