What's new

simpsons season 3, when? (1 Viewer)

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
I do believe Matt is referring to Paramount's shoddy treatment of one of its home theater crown jewels, Top Gun. The quotation is a paraphrase of Goose (Anthony Edwards) pretending to see his name on the awards plaque, emphasizing that his name is spelled with TWO "O"s, instead of the one he's pretending they wrote.

Indeed, like the joke plaque, Paramount always seems to get special editions wrong. They need a shakeup of Fox-like proportions...remember the days before 5-star editions, or 2-disc SEs like Fight Club? Wait, I guess they're coming back...

Never mind.

Back on my meds,

CS

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I am not going to wait till 2009 to have them all.
Makes no sense to me.
So....you'd much rather own NOTHING, rather than 1 set per year? NOTHING is actually preferred? Amazing!
I don't abide this line of thinking: I really like a show, and want it on DVD. But I can't get it because I can't get EVERY episode in the next 2 years (or so). Illogical (IMO). Just think of the Homer-isms you'll be missing in full digital clarity and 5.1?! Seeing Uncle Moe's Family Feedbag on DVD is definitely worth the wait all by itself! :laugh:

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
So....you'd much rather own NOTHING, rather than 1 set per year? NOTHING is actually preferred? Amazing!
Of course, this assumes that the money that would otherwise have gone towards the purchase of the Simpsons DVDs will instead be thrown away. While I can't claim to speak for Matt, I imagine this isn't the case.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Huh? I think it just means that he'd rather get what is available, even if you're not sure that every season will be released.

If they announced tomorrow that there was no more Simpsons being released, I'd at least have the first two seasons.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Of course, this assumes that the money that would otherwise have gone towards the purchase of the Simpsons DVDs will instead be thrown away.
Quite obviously, this Buy The Simpsons vs. Toss the cash in File 13 is a silly comparison.
I didn't mean to suggest that the funds for a potential Simpsons purchase would be tossed in the garbage.
But it seems to me from the talk of many members on HTF, that they'd prefer to own zero Simpsons DVDs, rather than the one or two per year we've been offered.
To ME, this is silly. I'll take SOME over NONE any day.
(By the way, Carl, I'm having Mr. Burns release the hounds on you immediately! .... Oh, wait, I can't do that. I just remembered, Montgomery likes Carl! :) )

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I think it just means that he'd rather get what is available, even if you're not sure that every season will be released.
Exactly, Graeme.
I've grown quite fond of those first-year Simpsons episodes. Some say it's a sub-par season, but I disagree. Some very funny stuff in season 1.
Like you said, if they stopped after Season 2, we'd still have 2 years' worth of shows.
Speaking of possibly stopping the releases at a certain point .... Has this EVER happened, on ANY TV season set as yet? I can think of none! (Granted, the "Season Sets" are pretty new to the DVD market.) I would think if they're going to release ANY season sets at all, in any given TV series, then we'll probably see EVERY season come to DVD eventually.
WHY would a studio release only SOME seasons? Seems to me that releasing an incomplete series would really tick the fans off royally. Stopping in mid-stream would be a horrible decision, for any series' set (IMO). ... However, at the risk of contradicting myself, I'm wondering if Baretta just might be stopped after the first release, since it's obvious that that one is coming out solely based on the recent renewed interest in Mr. Blake. Is there anyone out there even remotely interested in picking up Baretta #1?

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
You know what's funny? I remember reading Matt Groening's comments in the Season 1 or 2 DVD saying something like, "At the rate these are coming out, you'll be able to complete your Simpsons collection on DVD just before a new format comes out!" ;)

Matt Pasant

Second Unit

Could not have said it better myself. It is a shot across Paramounts Bow that Top Gun deserves better. However, Craigs found more in my signature that I originally consciously intended to, but I can't say that its too far off the mark.

-- Matt

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Paramount's very quick release of TNG on DVD is the exception rather than the rule, and it seems unfair to me to compare the release schedule of The Simpsons to it.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I did not say it was fair or unfair, just fact. I have not bought alot of TV on DVD for this purpose. The Next Generation and The Sopranos is all I own of TV on DVD.
There are probably a hundrerd and one reasons why they are not released quicker, and they might all make sense. But my own personal quick, my Veruka Salt complex as I alluded to eariler is keeping me off the market.
I would say, the exception of how TNG is being released on DVD, is why I decided to purchase them. If we play reverse logic.
-- Matt

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Veruca Salt, character from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, who wanted her own way all the time and to get whatever she wanted whenever. No matter what the circumstances.

-- Matt

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
heaven forbid they do it like Paramount and release all the seasons in one year.

I still am quite happy for them doing that on ST:TNG. My bank account hurts, but I'm happy their all coming out so quickly.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Fox is also releasing many different TV shows to DVD (not to mention they were the first to do season sets). Paramount is releasing how many TV series to DVD?

Exactly.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Brandon,
Like I said, Fox may have many valid reasons for long delays between releases. But when we are talking about a show with 14 seasons is it(?), I do not plan on still wondering in the year 2013 whether season 12 is coming out or not.

-- Matt

Craig_T

Second Unit
Once every 6 months is ok with me. Just as long as they don't continue this ridiculous once per year nonsense. Fox's other shows are released roughly every 6 months and I'm fine with that schedule. Yea, I'd rather have them even faster than that but at least 6 months is reasonable. So a Jan/Feb release would be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks