What's new

Simpsons Movie Rumblings...but don't get excited just yet... (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
From Zap2it Movie News:
" A feature film version of "The Simpsons" has been talked about and anticipated ever since the long-running animated TV series became a cultural phenomenon over ten years ago. Cinescape caught up with the show's executive producer Al Jean to get the latest news.
“When the actors re-signed earlier this year the contracts called for them to do three movies," said Jean. "We obviously want it to be a really good script, so it involves us getting enough time to develop something that we really want to do. It's so much in the planning stages [at this point].”
In other words, fans will have to wait quite a while to see Bart and Homer at their local multiplex.
“This is just my opinion,” Jean added. “But, it might be good to wait, like "Star Trek" until after the show is done. I think it's going to happen but I could not tell you when.”"
http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/st...--8107,00.html
Thoughts?
------------------
Scott

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
I personally hope they don't make a Simpsons film. Although other television shows have successfully started film franchises, the Simpsons television shows deal with singular issues usually and they would have trouble stretching that into a movie without it seeming lame or without the characters seeming odd. They could always go the "Simpsons go to Las Vegas" route which would produce a really bad film. But I'd see it if they made it!
wink.gif

Seb
------------------
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I am a huge fan of The Simpsons, and I too do not want to see a movie of this series made. Every episode is one contained plot and issue. What the hell could one movie deal with?
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
quote: Every episode is one contained plot and issue.[/quote]
Not true - several episodes have secondary plots.
------------------
"Fearless Freep?! That's mmma boy!"
[Edited last by Keith Paynter on August 14, 2001 at 12:46 PM]

David Oliver

Second Unit
I am wary, but both Beavis and Butthead and South Park managed to make good movies, so I think they could make a good movie for The Simpsons.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I'd go see it for sure, being a Simpsons loyalist. But my enthusiasm would depend on who all gets involved. Would Matt Groening, James L. Brooks, and Sam Simon produce? Would John Swartzwelder write...or Wallace Wodarsky (spelling?) and Jay Kogen? Some of my favorite episodes were written by these guys and also Conan. It'll be a while before any of these details are known, though.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Damnit Keith, you were right. :)
I didn't say this before, but even though I don't want it to be made, I'd still go see it.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Beavis and Butthead and South Park had dirty language and bad behavior. Since they couldn't do it on TV, they made movies. (both were great though)
Maybe they could do a Twilight Zone thing and have mutliple, longer, better animated episodes as one movie? That would allow them to have several stories using just as much depth as people are used to, plus it wouldn't be too short (considering anime and big budget animated films are the only kind that breach the 2 hour mark). If they make a movie, it will do well no matter what. I don't know one person who wouldn't go see the movie.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I hereby resurrect this ancient thread with some ACTUAL REAL NEWS!! Get this!
DVD Fanatic (my new favorite website as of right now) ran an interview with Simpsons producer Mike Riess, and here's the meaty part:
:) Wow!

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
Beavis and Butthead and South Park had dirty language and bad behavior. Since they couldn't do it on TV, they made movies. (both were great though)

Beavis and Butthead Do America was no worse than the tv show. It could easily have been done for tv. MTV just decided to try and make some money. South Park on the other hand....

I think a Simpsons movie will be great. I'm sure there are plenty of ideas floating around and with the current season being as funny as ever, I'm sure they will do a good job. I'm a little skeptical about the whole Summer 2006 unless they plan on stopping the show next year, which I highly doubt. I mean, they can't even get the dvd's released fast enough so how are they going to do the movie? I think Fox is going to milk this show for as long as everyone wants to work on it and then do a movie or two. Now, I just wish Fox would get on the ball with another X-files movie.

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
Woohoo! Should be an all-star cast.

Maybe they could do something like Mr.Burns trying to take over the world and the simpsons have to save the day.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Homer saving the day would have to come purely by accident though...

Anyway, I also wonder what this means for the show, if they'll continue with it after season 16 or not. Season 16 was the last season of the current contract, and given how much lead time is needed to do an episode, there should be something announced here in the next 4 months to half a year I would have to think.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I'm a huge Simpsons fan... not just because of the name.. ;) but the thought of a movie doesn't get me excited. They always seem like the perfect made for tv family. Still, other animated movies have been made successfully in the past, so who knows?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I can just imagine... Simpsons on a 2.35:1 screen... mmmmmm... They should get Danny Elfman to score the film and do the theme in a whole new way with a full orchestra.

Hmm, let's set the time machine to summer 2006, shall we...

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I think they should do it like "The Brady Bunch" movie, and have the Simpsons stuck in some 2D animation warp zone while the rest of the world has moved on to normalcy. Mr. Burns could be played by Christopher Lee.
Hey it could happen ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks