Simpsons censorship question

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jack_F, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Jack_F

Jack_F Stunt Coordinator

I realize that this is not at all currently relevant, and at this pace, it won't be relevant until about 2010, but I have a question regarding the Simpsons and censorship...

At this thread over at DVD Talk...

They are talking about the Family Guy set and the banned episode, and one poster mentions the "banned" Simpsons episode. Immediately, I thought of "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson" due to the heavy use of the Twin Towers in that episode.

If anyone is unfamiliar with the episode, check out this link:

http://www.tvtome.com/Simpsons/season9.html#ep179

Now, my question is, when (if ever) the Season 9 DVD set is released, will they delete this episode? I know no one knows for sure since this is sooo far away, but I think we should start working on making sure this episode is included in it's original form. I think this is one of the FUNNIEST Simpsons ever, and in fact, may be one of the last great episodes, since the quality of the show has gone off the edge of the Grand Canyon in recent years. It would be a shame for no one to be able to see this episode again.

Perhaps since we are only getting 1 set/year of the Simpsons, by the time S9 is released, we will be able to cope with fiction-comedy from 1997 having the twin towers in it...

-Jack

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

No, the episode was put back in syndication about 3-4 months later

Not that we'd know here, because they keeps shwoing the same goddamn 40 episodes over and over

3. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

I saw this episode about a month-and-a-half ago. It's still out there, I don't think they'd leave it out, and at this rate, since Season 9 is scheduled to be released sometime near May 2104, post 9/11 sensitivities will be significantly less tenuous.

4. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

I would think that anyone with the intelligence and taste to purchase and watch a box set of Simpsons episodes would not be the overly-sensitive politically correct type to cry out in offense of this episode. And come August, 2010 when this season set is released, nobody's going to go whining about it anyway.

5. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

Absolutely. People who are able to tolerate The Simpsons are not the easily-offended type.

6. Michael Ballack

Michael Ballack Second Unit

And me to another list of people who has a station showing the same 40 episodes. It gets worse; the episodes are from the last two years.
    Come on Fox, get your act together and release 3 Seasons a year at least! I'm willing to drop the commentaries also. The commentaries are only good to listen to one time anyway.

7. FredK

FredK Second Unit

This is one of my top 5 episodes, I travel to NYC all the time and love all the "outsider to NYC" touches in it.

If anyone thinks it should be censored they're missing the coolness of having the WTC be a key player in one of the Simpsons more intelligent/funny episodes. Embrace it, because it'll never be so prominently involved in a comedy again.

8. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

I like the comment on the official Weird Al page:

Al made a celebrity cameo appearance on The Simpsons, singing "Homer & Marge" (a parody of John Mellencamp's "Jack & Diane") while the band accompanied him! The episode (#EABF12) first aired on April 13, so keep an eye out for reruns! And be sure to pick up a copy of the Season 14 DVDs when they come out... in 7 or 8 years!

9. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    I had an asthma attack the first time "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson". When Homer started driving with the "the boot" on his car and then using the jack hammer to get it off. One of the funniest bits I can remember from the series.

Neil

10. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

13. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Speaking of commentaries.... which seasons did Conan O'Brien write episodes for? I wonder if he'll participate in commentaries for those episodes when his time comes, since we've had other episode writers doing commentaries for the first 2 seasons.

14. MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein Supporting Actor

Misha Lauenstein
    What exactly is wrong with showing things happening in the twin towers? 100,000 people worked in those buildings for years. Are we supposed to pretend now that no one ever went there and nothing ever happened there before September 11?

On a related note, the Sports Night DVDs show the towers so much that at one point it finally dawned on me that those characters in the show might actually be working in the towers!

This got me thinking about whether the characters of Sports Night would have been killed! They work late at night, so I would think many of them would start work after noon, but I don't really know much about broadcasting.

15. Jerry R Colvin

Jerry R Colvin Stunt Coordinator

Speaking of banned episodes, what about the one that introduced John Lovitz as The Critic, which was produced against Matt Groening's wishes and without his involvement? Is that being shown in syndication and will it appear on DVD?

16. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

17. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

There are various jokes that were changed in syndication. If Futurama is any indication, it will be the changed versions on DVD. Example: when Smithers is pulling Burns in the rickshaw and Burns says "Faster, faster, you call yourself a CHinaman?" China was changed to "rickshaw driver," which is a shame, as the original was much funnier. Also when Homer shows of his Oscar, it was initially Haing S. Ngor's. This was changed after he was murdered.

18. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

19. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

20. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter