What's new

Simpson lip sync on SNL (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
A few days ago at one of the baseball playoff games, a singer seemed to be lip-syncing the national anthem. They covered it up by cutting away from her.

~T

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Almost too painful to watch...while on one hand I might have a sliver of sympathy for anyone who endures such a dreadful moment, on the other, it was self-inflicted.

Same sentiments here - the expose was bad enough, but the subsequent excuse & doctored performance for the west coast amplified this into much worse. AS & NBC deserve whatever backlash and consequence come their way.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm wondering how they thought the lame excuse would fly, especially with the existence of the internet and PVRs? Did they actually think people on the west coast wouldn't find out?

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
quote:A few days ago at one of the baseball playoff games, a singer seemed to be lip-syncing the national anthem. They covered it up by cutting away from her.

I had a friend who sang at a Royals game...and they way it worked there was that you actually lip synch to the audition tape you send in....which my friend didn't know until she got there that night. That may have been what happened in this case.

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
If by "My Band" she meant the guy queuing up the Vocal Track, then ya... "Her band" screwed up

rolleyes.gif

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
I dunno guys... I'm not going to go so far as to call her a "No Talent Hack". Personally I think that's a little too presumptuous, given that we don't really know what parts the producers of SNL & NBC played leading up to this whole mess. Look... we know what we saw onscreen (well, I watched the captures provided by Gary above - thanks Gary!), but you don't know what was happening in the production tent the week preceeding the show, and during the broadcast.

It's possible that the producers of SNL may have watched her perform live, didn't feel that she was "up to snuff" for live TV, and convinced/coerced her to lip-synch the music. I don't think this would be the first time something like this happened, especially on SNL. We've seen some pretty horrid live performances on SNL in the past (remember the Spice Girls?), and I'm sure NBC wouldn't want viewers to be tuning out of the program during the musical bits because "the artist doesn't sound as good as they do on the radio!".

I've seen MANY programs with OBVIOUS lip-synching going on (Shania Twain at the Superbowl anyone?!?), and they didn't have to deal with such horrid & embarassing production screw-ups. Lucky them.

Personally, I feel TERRIBLE for her. Say what you will about lip-synching, but this is a pretty public (and Nationally Broadcast) humiliation for a girl of her age to have to live through. Put yourself in her shoes for that moment in time, and imagine the tinging sensation of horror as your realize what's going on, and being witnessed by millions of people. What would YOU do?

Would YOU be able to come back on stage at the end of the show and apologize to the audience? Really?

Moe.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

No, I wouldn't be able to stand up in front of an audience and millions of viewers and lie about what happened. I don't think it qualifies as an apology when you lie.

That said, I do feel bad for her too and realize it may not be all her fault for how it got handled. I think she'll survive it because lip syncing is so common and it's not like she Milli Vanilli'ed her skills.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
quote:LM: What are your takes on lip-synching?

AS: I'm totally against it and offended by it. I'm going out to let my real talent show, not to just stand there and dance around. Personally, I'd never lip-synch. It's just not me.

(as Tom Hanks in The Money Pit): BAAAAAAHAAAAHAAAAA!!!!!! WWWWWAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAAAA!!!! HHHAA HHHAAA HHHHHHHHAAAAAAAA!!!! (draws breath) HU..HU...HHAAAAAAAA!!!!
HA
(draws breath) HA (draws breath) HA (draws breath) HUHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
quote:A few days ago at one of the baseball playoff games, a singer seemed to be lip-syncing the national anthem. They covered it up by cutting away from her.

Good gawd, if you can't sing the friggin' national anthem, you shouldn't be in the business at all. I realize that not only professional singers sing it, but if you're not up to it, there are plenty of other people who would love to have a stab at it.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
quote:This Milli Vanilli moment and subsequent passing of the buck can't be good for her career. Anyway, I plan on watching that portion of the west feed on the dish to see if it makes it there, or what they do with it.

I've only heard of Milli Vanilli, so what's up with him/her/it?

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Saturday Night Live

Although, many would say that the live quality disappeared long ago.

And consider the RIAA's heavy-handed campaign to characterize the common-folk as the only crooks...do they have an 'internal affairs' dept. for their wayward stars and the corps. that push these artificial sweeteners marked as pure cane sugar?
wink.gif

Would the RIAA be so diligent in pursuing those who downloaded this 'performance'? Or will iTunes slash prices on Ashlee .m4p's to $0.05?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
quote:I've only heard of Milli Vanilli, so what's up with him/her/it?

Back in the late 80s, a producer had a group of middle-age singers sing pop songs he (or someone else) had written. But he wanted a young, hip image, so he got 2 dancers to lip-synch all the songs during live performances and videos. They even won the Best New Artist Grammy in 1989.

Then 2 years later (I think), they were performing "live" at the MTV Music Awards. The song was "Girl U Know It's True." They were fine until the tape started skipping. It was one of the funniest moments in music history for me, since I always hated them.

They had to give back the Grammy, and I believe one of them committed suicide back in 1998.

As for Ashlee, I wasn't really paying attention to the song but I noticed how it went quickly to commercial. I assumed my local NBC affiliate screwed up.

BTW, to the person that said she may have been told to lip-synch, Lorne Michael HATES lip-synching and won't allow it. The only time it's happened before this was Abba back in 1977.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
quote:Good gawd, if you can't sing the friggin' national anthem, you shouldn't be in the business at all.

That's not the point. Many of the stadiums are requiring lip syncing due to prior disasters.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
quote:I've seen MANY programs with OBVIOUS lip-synching going on (Shania Twain at the Superbowl anyone?!?), and they didn't have to deal with such horrid & embarassing production screw-ups. Lucky them.

Of course if Ashlee could sing, then there is no production to screw up to begin with...Because she'd have just done it live.

I feel no sympathy for her. She willingly and knowingly makes money by allowing studio engineers and technology to make her sound as if she can sing. If she relies on people and technology to further that deception in a live setting, and that fails, too freakin bad.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
In China, they would have given her a public execution.

They do the same to bottom-pinchers.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Oh my god, that was hilarious. I almost had to close it, it was so damn embarrassing.

Nice jig...

Chris

Senior HTF Member
That's the thing.. her excuse made no sense.. if her band played the wrong song, then she could just sing the wrong freaking song.. no problem.. (I assume she knows her own lyrics) her excuse was devoid of any reality.

That having been said, it was one of those "avert your eyes" kind of funny. Painful, but funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks