What's new

Simpson lip sync on SNL (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Just as most people have ridden the "Ashlee is cool" bandwagon for the past year for no apparent reason other than someone, somewhere declared it the "in" thing.

Fame cuts both ways. If you can't deal with it, say out of the public eye.

Bren_Chris

Stunt Coordinator
I hope the boos rung in her ears, and I hope it made her think twice about her forced "career." Someone a few posts ago wondered how she got famous when she's just a mediocre singer at very best, and it's because the powers that be have forced her upon us. Yet another manufactured entertainer for our wafer-thin pop culture. The public has every goddam right to express disapproval, and I'm glad they took the opportunity to do so, rather than accepting this plastic icon like sheep.

Real singers and real musicians every day put themselves in the line of fire - public ridicule - in the course of paying their dues. This Simpson girl was catapulted to the national stage in no time at all, making videos, TV appearances, etc. Something is wrong with that, and the boos are just a peripheral symptom of the real problem.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Hardly. It has nothing to do with being "in". Speaking simply for myself, I really don't CARE one way or the other about Ashlee Simpson, or her career. It's a non-issue to me. However, she IS a perfect example of what's wrong with the music industry today.

I do, however, find it fascinating that some people think that booing a "professional" performer when they aren't up to snuff is "rude" and/or "uncivilized". "Uncivilized" would be throwing things and/or rushing the stage.

To me, it's yet another example of society becoming too darned PC.

Fact is, Simpson's performance was pitiful. At BEST, she should have expected silence when her act was over. Humanity being what it is, silence is an unrealistic expectation.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Normally I would agree that booing isn't rude, but I just have a gut feeling that a lot of the boos were coming from people who just don't like her (no matter what went wrong). This is why I think it was rude.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Who cares if they boo just because they don't like her. She was forced down their throats so that is reason enough to boo her as far as I'm concerned. She should have told the Orange Bowl commitee "No thanks, the fans in the stadium won't be my target audience and I have 0 talent anyway." when they asked her to perform at halftime.

She is a studio manufactured, over exposed, no talent hack of the worst kind as far as I'm concerned and the sooner she is banished from the public eye, the better.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Sure, people boo a millionaire performer that can't carry a tune and it's a personal issue, they "just don't like her". Jeez, I've heard a lot of justifications for lack of talent, but this takes the cake. Seems to me the same thing was probably said backstage. "Oh Ashlee, they aren't your real fans, they are just ignorant football fans who wouldn't like you anyway" instead of "Jeez girl, you really stunk up the place. Can you say (not sing, please don't ever sing again) 'Do you want fries with that'?"

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I would think that concert sales should be the judge of wether a performer is "worthy" of continuing live performances, not a football game.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I don't think the people that were at the football game were commenting on what her concert sales are, they were commenting on the quality of her singing. You are not going to tell me you thought her singing was good, are you? Oh, I forgot. Something "went wrong".:rolleyes

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

Because we all know that ticket sales (or sales/ratings of any kind) is a great way to gauge talent and worth in the entertainment industry :rolleyes:.

Nick

Second Unit
Someone had just posted this on the stop ashlee simpson petition site. It's interesting I don't know if you guy see the same thing he has.

I dont know if any of you watch her show, but If you saw the first episode you will remember when she was in the car with her two friends...they were talking about SNL and how she was going to be on it the following day. Now look at the banner behind her, it is Advertising a broncos VS colta game....but the date says 12/21 December 21st....but Saturday Night Live happend in the end of October. This scene makes it obvious that Ashlee went and refilmed the whole incident to make it look her way. Making her voice sound raspy, forcing her voice out in auditions. More lies from Ashlee and MTV. A Marquee in New York isn't going to have something for December on in October. KEEP THIS POST ALIVE!!!!

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Hmmmmm, very interesting indeed. It doesn't surprise me at all if MTV and the Simpsons "doctored" the show to portray her in a more favorable light.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think the saddest fact about today's music is that Ashlee Simpson seems quite talented when you compare her to other bands out there. I guess what I mean is, she sucks but she doesn't suck half as bad as some groups:)

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
At least the one good thing that has come out of this debacle, is that we now have lip-sync awareness...

I am a musician of sorts - and I can tell there is a pre-recorded voice track - I tune out...but did the average joe??? Now, I think more people understand and are now looking for it - which in turn HAS to make the artists nervous about doing it...

Just my thoughts - I am glad this happened and I hope it does again to keep the performers honest...

RichardK

Second Unit
Interesting post you made Nick. I was watching that episode with my wife. We didnt notice the 'time stamp', but we did surmise from the dialogue and their delivery that they were acting out what it would have been like if A.Simpson really was having throat problems! what a sham!
The Broncos/Colts game was scheduled for 1/2/5...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see that video of the Broncos sign...I'm not sure what to think since they could have been advertising the game back in Oct.

Or did the sign say something more specific like "This Sat. December 21st..."

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I was interested by this post so I watched the rerun tonight. Its nothing more than a stock footage scene. As Richard said, this years Indy/Denver game was 1/2/05, but last years was 12/21 just like the marquee said. It was a separate bit of footage with nobody in it, so its fairly obvious that its just stock. That said, I saw the next episode where it shows her at SNL and I wouldn't doubt for a second if that was completely staged, NFL time stamp or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks