What's new

simple yahoo mail/IE8 question (1 Viewer)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
So, I just took the bait and "updated" to IE8.

Now, I have lost a function that I liked, having to do with my yahoomail accounts.

I have three separate yahoomail accounts, each used for a different thing. I used to be able to open three separate IE windows and in each one see a different yahoomail account. I had three yahoomail accounts open at one time. This was cool because I could work in one and watch (on the taskbar) when another one got a reply or something.

Now, I can not seem to do this. Each new IE window I open, opens with the email account I have already opened. I can't sign in to a new yahoomail account in this new, totally separate IE window. I have lost a massive amount of convenience because of this.

Anyone know a work-around?

Thanks!

MC

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I've been searching and searching since posting this, and just found this info at a yahoomail help screen:

"You can use the same computer for multiple Yahoo! Mail accounts, but it isn't possible to be signed in to more than one account at a time in the same browser.
If you have two different browsers on your computer—for example, Firefox and Internet Explorer—you can open both browsers to sign in to two different accounts."

So... Oh well.

I used to (like, um, yesterday) be able to open three IE windows each with a different email account in it.

But I guess not no more. :frowning:

Any comments?

MC

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Do you have the remember me checkbox checked? That might be why you keep getting the same account on different tabs. I know it sounds stupid, but I figured I would ask.

Oh yeah, upgrade to Firefox 3.0.10, will ya? ;)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I feel that it was a mistake (un-undoable of course) for me to have "upgraded" to IE8. I should have left well enough alone because this one little new glitch has really complicated my life. Things were fine, before...

I might even do the Firefox thing -- free, right? good, right? -- so I have the "two browsers" thing.

What a hassle.

WHY?!

MC

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
NEW QUESTION!

I just did a SYSTEM RESTORE back to the moment BEFORE I downloaded IE8! (GOD I WISH I COULD DO THIS WITH MY LIFE!)

So now I have IE7 back... And YES I can open three browsers each with a different yahoomail account open! IT WORKS AGAIN! But of course all is not well.

I seem to have "lost" my menu bar. You know, "FILE, EDIT, VIEW," etc.

Where is that?

Huh? Have I done something bad?

MC

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Have you considered using a non-browser client like Thunderbird to access your email accounts? I do this using Thunderbird with gmail to manage three accounts using IMAP.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
What is this?

I might have to go out and find out how to reinstall IE7, anyway. I lost a lot of functionality (including my "cut and paste" and "right click" functions in the browser... go figure).

MC

SethH

Senior HTF Member
When I say a non-browser client, I mean something like Outlook or Thunderbird (by Mozilla). Since you want to manage multiple accounts I would recommend using Thunderbird and using the IMAP protocol.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Micah, if you go up near the top of the screen where the menu bar should be (where the browser tabs are in IE7) and right-click, you should get a drop-down box with various "bars" listed. The top one should be Menu Bar, which should be unchecked since you don't see it. If you click Menu Bar in the drop-down, it should reappear.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Didn't work. I think I lost some functions when I downloaded IE8, then restored the system to IE7, then re-restored the system to the pre-original restore time, then downloaded IE8 again to compensate. (WTF, right?)

Anyway, I have the full functions now in IE8, but I am frustrated that I keep having to sign-out/sign-in to check my three yahoomail accounts. I am tempted to download a second (and a third?) browser just to keep one account open all the time. Firefox?

Why is nothing easy? I thought computers were supposed to make things "easy."

MC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks