What's new

simple IR extender/repeater (1 Viewer)

munsterrr

Grip
Real Name
Zach
i finally mounted my TV on the wall and want to put the reciever, cable box, and PS3 on the other side of the wall so the only thing showing is TV and speakers. I use a Harmony 550 remote. I literally need something that goes through one wall and is literally 1.5 feet away. What is my easiest cheapest option?

Thanks in advance

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Look into X10 IR repeaters, they are the cheapest option. Niles makes some really nice stuff but that is likely out of your intended price range.

Brent_S

Second Unit
Terk Leapfrog. I don't think you'll find another solution for close to $30. Works great with both my and my parents' 550s. Also available at your nearest Circuit City.

-Brent

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart

munsterrr

Grip
Real Name
Zach
so since i use more than one component i would need one of these "multiple emitters"? or would the simple first thing work for me?

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
You'd need a multiple. Each component in your system would need an IR emitter in front of it.

Brent_S

Second Unit

The current Leapfrog includes a triple emitter on maybe a 6' cable.

Needing the emitter depends on how you have the equipment housed. I have an older generation Leapfrog and my gear is housed in a converted armoire. The vertical spacing of the equipment spans about 24". The Leapfrog controls all of the gear by bouncing it's signal off of the doors and scattering it around the cabinet. The older unit only included a single emitter, but the base and cable emitters were hot at the same time*.

cable box
shelf
blu-ray
dvd-a/sacd
hd-dvd & IR controlled HDMI switch beside it
shelf
8" of air
receiver & IR base beside receiver

*The newer Leapfrog is an either/or situation. When the triple emitter is plugged in to the IR base unit, the base itself no longer outputs IR. Unplug the emitter and the base itself acts as a flood. One other thing to note, the triple emitter is wired in series instead of a splitting into three at the end of the wire like most do. Not really a problem if your gear is stacked vertically. Ideally, the flashers should be stuck over each component's IR eye, but the flashers are still effective if placed relatively close with a line of sight. If using a flasher this way, you may have to experiment with placement.

Any standard 3.5mm IR flasher with a mono connector will work with the Terk. If the included flashers can't be placed correctly, you might can find a Channel Vision/Xantec/etc. unit similar to the one Kevin linked that would line up better. There may even be enough voltage to use a 3.5mm Y-splitter to add a second emitter cable for up to 6 flashers, if needed.

-Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks