What's new

Simple Infrared Repeater (1 Viewer)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Hi everyone.

Request: Suggest options so I can operate one component remotely (wired). The component is my receiver, and all I want to do is volume control from the poker room (maybe change inputs).

Research: I did HTF search, been to Xantech, smarthome, crutchfield, hotlink (mmmm....hotlinks....) and I am overwhelmed by the complex solutions.

So does a simple solution exist where you can avoid these expensive systems for operating multiple devices etc. ?

If not...that's cool. I thought something would exist where you could mount it in the wall/ceiling/whatever and it ran all the way to the receiver's infrared receiver and just transmitted the signal.

Maybe I am way off and you have to go with a hub and all that ...
I was trying to get this done for the least amount of $$$ possible.

:cool:

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
The Logitech Harmony 890 Universal Remote includes an RF receiver, allowing you to blast IR to your components from up to 100 feet. Amazon has this remote on for $260.

Or if you have some money to spend, take a look at the Nevo SL. :)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
The IR to RF convertors will work alright for what you are trying to accomplish and are readily available and fairly cheap. They're not the most reliable compared to a hard wired system but you won't get an easier install then sticking the two devices in that approp. rooms and calling it a day :) If you can though I'd strongly suggest going the hardwired route as its far more reliable and if you go with something like the Hidden link kit from Xantech its not that expensive

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
I have a number of RF capable remotes that I use for remote zones around the house. If you go that route, I urge you to make sure you purchase from some place where you can easily return them. The advertised range of 100ft is a pipe dream. 30ft max in my experience. In addition to the poor range, the base unit blasts my equipment with random IR thus causing all kinds of flakey behavior. It's so bad I have to unplug the base unit when not actually using it. Go hard wired if running the wiring is not too difficult. I wish I had when I initially went through the chore of running the wiring to my zones.

-Dave

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
For a single zone, you can get close with the Buffalo Electronics IR system. For one zone you would need an IR-100, power supply, an IR-250 or IR-350, and as many IR-E1 flashers as needed. Here is a link to the cheapest place on the net I've been able to find the stuff. http://www.automatedoutlet.com/home.php?cat=140

If you search AVS Forum, there are a number of people there that report the Buffalo Electronics IR system works well. Much cheaper than Xantech or some of the other big names in whole house audio. This is the stuff I am planning on using when I get around to putting in a hard wired system.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks