What's new

simple hookup question (1 Viewer)

bobnmisnc

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
I am in the process of upgrading to HD and came across some questions. I just purchased the Onkyo 605 receiver along with a Sony SXRD 60inch tv and a PS3. My problem is that Direct Tv will not be here to setup hd until 11-9. My question is whether i can hook my sd receiver up to go through the receiver along with the ps3. If so how would i do that? Can i plug my SD sat reveiver into avr receiver via Svideo and then how do i get it to tv? i plan to use hdmi for the ps3 and pass it through onkyo reveiver and then to tv via hdmi. Do i have to run Svideo to tv from receiver? i hope this question makes sense. My goal is to watch the new tv using my sd sat receiver for now and also use ps3 for games and movies in high def. Thanks.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The receiver upconverts the s-video, to HDMI, so the HDMI is the only cable you'll need to run to the tv.

bobnmisnc

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob

Is anybody familiar with the Onkyo 605? I have it hooked up and am not getting any video. I have the S Video running from Sat box to Receiver and then HDMI running from receiver to TV. I can hear the sound coming through speakers from the Satellite but no video. I am sure there something I am doing wrong. Any ideas?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Did the tv auto detect the HDMI? You've double checked that you're using the right input mode, on tv?
I don't have an Onkyo. But the specs for it, said it upconverts to HDMI. If no one shows up to help quicker, study that part of the manual. I know some manuals don't explain too well though..................

bobnmisnc

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob

I figured out the Sat part of it. Once I found and chose the right input on the TV I was able to receive the Sat signal. Now my problem is that I also purchased a PS3 which I have hooked up through the receiver via HDMI. I can hear the sound played through the receiver but I cannot see the picture through the TV. I assumed that it would use the same input as the Sat being that they are both passed through the same HDMI cable. I have the PS3 assigned to the HDMI input on the Onkyo.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I haven't worked much with HDMI, and not at all, with a ps3. The first thing I'd do is go into the ps3's setup menus, and double check the settings, in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks