What's new

SIMM memory-decent price from reputable company? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I have a keyboard (musical) module that I use for my synthesizers and it uses SIMMs for memory. I know (at least I'm almost positive) that SIMMs are older technology and it's been kinda tough to find a place that sells them.

The requirements are-
SIMMs:
-72 pin
-60ns or faster
-FPM or EDO
-Voltage: 5V
-64MB/32MB/16MB (can be mixed)
*Both parity and non-parity are supported.

There are 2 slots avialable for SIMMs, and since the above says "can be mixed" I assume I don't need to install them in pairs (i.e. I just want one 64MB module right now).

I found this on CDW's site: Kingston 64MB Module

I don't want to buy used or through private sellers like eBay. I'd like to stick to reputable online places (i.e. Warehouse, CompUSA, CDW, Amazon, etc.).

Also, it seems like the EDO is cheaper than the FPM. What's the difference? Also, what's the difference in parity and non-parity?

Does $80 sound fair? I've seen used ones for $25 so I can't imagine finding new ones for any less than $50.

Thoughts?

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Oddly, on crucial they only have 16 and 32 meg modules. $23 and $38 respectively. I seem to remember that parity would mean error checking, but not correcting. It's really unimportant except if you're using the memory in a server or something like that.

If there's like an old computer store around (not a big chain, like a repair shop that sells parts) they probably have something like that.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
seem to remember that parity would mean error checking, but not correcting
yeah, that sounds familiar too. I'm not using them for any heavy processing, I just need to load in sampled sounds and store them on the SIMM, nothing real intensive.

$38 for a 32MB? So maybe $80 for 64MB really isn't too outrageous.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I would seach e-bay and take a chance on a used batch. You should be able to find an auction that is selling a lot of SIMMS for next to nothing.

I think I only have 8MB and 16MB SIMMS laying around. IF your interested PM me and I can see what I have I would just charge ya shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread