What's new

Silly Terminator 2 sounds (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I do find it annoying that during a thunder storm, the crack of thunder comes exactly when lightning strikes, disregarding the fact that light is faster than sound.

Speaking of stock sounds, I find it pretty funny that in the mono track of the first Terminator, they use the generic "Dirty Harry" magnum gunshot sound for Ahnold's guns.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I absolutely HATE HATE HATE when I hear the same stock sounds recycled OVER AND OVER AND OVER!!! Listen carefully and you can hear the same creaky metal gate, the same laughing children, the same screeching cat, in EVERY SCENE OF EVERY FILM EVER MADE that would call for such a sound. It really pisses me off more than you can imagine. It's just laziness and cheapness that keeps these things getting cycled through over and over, but honestly, how expensive can it be to just go out there with a microphone and record some new sounds?! ARGH!!!
You mean like whenever someone plays videogames in a movie/tv show, no matter how advanced, we almost always hear the sound effects from the old Pac-Man Atari 2600 version? :D

Damian James

Stunt Coordinator
Ah yes just like in all the Star Wars movies, how there are one or two very distinct death gurgles that are always used at least once in each movie. I think its a trademark of the series or something.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I get irritated when you hear that "howl" of a falcon or a hawk or whatever bird of prey it is EVERYTIME there is a "mystical" desert scene in a movie. You undoubtedly will also hear this everytime there is a Native American in the desert. I swear that has to be the most often used sound effect ever in the history of recycled sounds.

Matt

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
The one that bugs me the most is whenever someone is using a computer in a movie, no matter what they do it has to make beeping sounds and other "hi-tech" sounds. If my computer was as noisy as the ones in the movies, I would shoot myself.

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator

Well her steps sound almost exactly like the T1000 in his regular cop guise only softer, so I guess shoes with heels. Of course, these footstep sounds were probably just the coconuts from Monty Phython tweaked a little by the sound effects editor.

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
Another sound flaw is when awnuld blows up the wall at the Cyberdyne lab. You hear a wierd metal ripping sound or something.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Since people have mentioned other foley/sound editing dislikes I'll mention my peeve. Tire screeching when cars start/stop/slide on dirt or grass. I mean is the editor watching the film? I've heard plenty of films get it right so to me there is no excuse not to have access to the correct effect.

Bobby_K

Grip
Another major sound effect screw up in T2 is John Connors dirt bike. Its a little 4-stroke engine, but they give it the sound of a much much larger 2-stroke motocross bike, its laughable to anyone that is even the slightest bit mechanically inclined.

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
Eric Eickhorst wrote:
I absolutely HATE HATE HATE when I hear the same stock sounds recycled OVER AND OVER AND OVER!!!
Here's a site dedicated to these sound effect cliches used again and again (and again) in movies:
http://www.filmsound.org/cliche/

(NOTE: a few of the sound links are defunct, but most still work, such as these links to the infamous "Wilhelm Scream": http://www.hollywoodlostandfound.net...ilhelm_tk4.wav and the overused red-tailed hawk screech: http://www.hawk-conservancy.org/images/redtail.ra)

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Heh, I'm glad to see that you guys agree with me and I'm not just a lone nut on this.

Don: Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to check them out!

Seth: I hate screeching tires on dirt too - it's especially bad on those police chase videos and RealTV type of shows. I mean, do people really not realize that the sounds are 100% fake?! I prefer the cop shows on TLC where the footage comes mostly from Europe and hasn't had tons of sound added. Oh, and that damn Sheriff John Bunnell isn't constantly going on about "it quickly becomes a matter of life ... and death."

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Another major sound effect screw up in T2 is John Connors dirt bike. Its a little 4-stroke engine, but they give it the sound of a much much larger 2-stroke motocross bike, its laughable to anyone that is even the slightest bit mechanically inclined.
That drove me fricken crazy. That, and the bike has like 9 forward gears! Everytime he shifted (down or up), it sounded like an upshift.

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
The one sound that I couldn't stand being used over and over again, and the one that made me even wonder if they recycled sounds in Hollywood was the mechanical door opening sound from the original Doom computer game. It was used over and over in a ridiculous number of science fiction films/shows. I couldn't beleive they would so blatanty use it again and again. Does anyone know the one I'm talking about?

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Haha! That sound of doors opening and/or closing from Doom. Oh man. I laugh my ass off when I hear it for different things. In galaxy quest you hear the door open/close sound when one of the alien badguys has his assualt rifle jam on him.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
You guys are neglecting the most glaring error in T2...

TERMINATORS AREN'T REAL! ;)

Seriously, I know exactly what you guys are saying in this thread, I hate it when I hear the same old stock sounds in movies, it tends to remove me from the experience.

Some are just silly, like that Wile E. Coyote hitting the ground sound effect in Halloween when Micheal falls from the balcony and hits the ground.

I love it when I see a movie and the sound has been created from scrath, one of my favorite mixes is Jurassic Park, the combinations of sounds from different animals to create the T-Rex's roar and the screams of the Raptor's is sheer brilliance! I wouldn't expect anything less from Gary Rydstrom.

And I too heard the distinct sound of bowling pins during the fight in Reloaded, I don't see how one could miss it.

Colin Sims

Agent
When the movie was first out on video a friend of mine would always complain when we watched the movie together about the sound of John Connor's motorbike.

A motorbike enthusiast, he would complain that the bike's model is a 4 stroke yet the sound used is that of a 2 stroke bike (except when it is being kick started in which a 4 stroke sound is used).

It would annoy him no end but it would never affected my enjoyment of the movie.

(We all have our bug bears when watching films. Mine is that as a Police Officer I can't watch cop shows or movies anymore without picking out all differences between reality and the fiction. My wife bans me from watching certain TV shows with her.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks