What's new

SIGN THE PETITION: More full frame films being released by Columbia!!! (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
No. 195
I don't give a monkey's about the titles they're releasing in Pan & Scan, but this sort of thing has to be nipped in the bud NOW! It has to be about choice, which means every DVD released must contain a Widescreen version.
I had to return a DVD recently of a TV programme, because the version they released was only in 4:3 even though the actual programme was made in 16:9!:angry: (For those interested, it was the Season 1 disc of the remake of Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased), Region 2).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I just can't figure out why the television producers and movie producers seem to be moving in opposite directions.

It seems like every week when I browse the TV Guide, there are more and more episodic shows and movies that are broadcast in "letterboxed format." Meanwhile, it seems that the movie studios are working the other way, trying to flood the marketplace with more and more P&S video software.

It just makes no sense and it can't be just about money because as many have said already, many of these latest titles are not going to be rented/purchased by the average J6P anyway, no matter what AR they're in. And we HT enthusiasts and film lovers aren't going to buy non-OAR titles. So what's the market they're targeting?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Mr. West Coast comes in at #199.
Now repeat after me, folks--it's our mantra: If it ain't OAR, then it don't get my dollar.
Woe to the studios that ignore those who gave the format its success--you do so at your own peril.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
And to further one point Ron made:
Can't the studios see that by catering to this
sect, they are sending out a bad message. In
addition, the consumer who buys these full-frame
offerings will only expect more.
What happens a few years down the road when HDTV is in full force and everyone has to buy a widescreen TV (I know, the has to may not occur for a while but for argument sake).
All the folks clamoring for a P&S or FF DVD to fill their screen will now either be clamoring for the WS versions to fill the screen or will be zooming in and doing their own manual P&S cr*p.
I certainly have refused to buy certain titles since they were only available in FF or P&S.....Vacation and Babe come to mind.
Oh well. That's my $.02 and who knows where this will all lead. At least we can look at things blockbuster has done lately as a possible sign that change can be made (i.e., stocking WS when they have dual releases and wanting to eliminate some of the rental pricing structure).....

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
It might be worthwhile listing those titles that we would personally buy if they were available in OAR and not only re-formatted versions. Mine include:

Babe

Moonstruck

Fearless

84 Charing Cross Road

The Sting

A Christmas Story

Chariots of Fire

Arthur

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes! I've wanted Fearless for sooo long. This is just such a crummy thing.

If it ain't OAR, it don't get my dollar.

Tyler T

Stunt Coordinator
Signed #217...
I fear for the life of DVD. Pretty soon, we may need HD-DVD because it's for home theater systems and WS TV's. DVD may become the next VHS. :frowning:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
#219 here. It's really sad that five years after the debut of DVD we are still having to do petitions like this.

C'mon Studios, OAR only, let's educate the masses with little pre-movie ditties like Fox's "Why Widescreen" rather than cave in to the masses who don't like "the black bars."

Guy Martin

Second Unit
#276 Nice petition Rain. I actually know some people who worked on FX for Stuart Little. I don't think they'll be happy to know that their work's getting cropped.

- Guy

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just can't bring myself to get upset over this. If some studio can make a few bucks by rereleasing a title that I've owned for at least a couple of years then more power to them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You've owned 84 Charing Cross Road on dvd in it's OAR for a couple of years??? This is NOT about putting out p&s versions of previously released OAR discs. It's about putting out p&s only versions of movies that have never been on dvd. If you don't get upset over this now, then the studios will release your favorite film in p&s only, and then you'll be upset but it'll be too late to do anything about it.

You have addressed it already, George...and I agree with you. But, Carl, did you even read the thread or just complain thinking it was about Fox P & S re-releases. P & S rereleases are one thing, but releasing new DVDs in non-OAR only is MUCH different and worse.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Honestly, I really don't care about the particular titles mentioned, but I signed (#227) just for the principle nonetheless.

I think it's hard to see why the studios don't start to include a "why black bars" intro on their DVDs. It has been suggested time and again for quite a while now. Is there any reason to believe that they really wouldn't want most people to buy the whole picture - to "force" them to rebuy it later when they get 16:9 TVs? Or are the people in charge simply not listening?

I find it hard to believe that the black bars will actually stop a lot of people from buying the DVD of a movie they want. Because they are the people who don't care that much anyway. We, on the other hand, are the people who do care. We (YOU guys) are the people who believe in and fight for something. The others (sometimes referred to as J6P) may be somewhat resistant, but they're slow and don't have a direction, a motivation. I think that should make the difference in the long run...

No reason to stop fighting some studios' stupidity, though.

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
I was #53 (I think).
Of course you are all right it's not about the titles. It's about making a point that we as early adopters of DVD and film lovers don't want to be left in the dust. It was us that made DVD such a popular format. If we don't complain about P&S ONLY releases then the studio's will assume that nobody cares about OAR anymore. We care and we need to be heard!
Take a look at our OAR Watchdog list at Widescreen Advocate and you'll see a rapidly growing list of over 130 non-OAR titles on DVD. It will only get worse unless we spread the word!
-Eric Jones

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Proud to be #241.
No title is too small to be represented in its OAR. To accept anything less is to concede to studio greed (yes, you, studio execs - do you really think we're going to consume your bullshit about being altruistic?).
Shit, sigh...The Scent of Green Papaya only in p&s??!!! One of my favorite movies that slipped under my radar - a lush and exotic film. Thanks for enthralling and deflating me in the same moment, Ted. ;) :angry:
To any studio reps/lurkers - I've been buying dvd's at a pace of 2-3 a week lately. Try me - care to lose my business?
No OAR = No SALE!

Nicholas Thuren

Auditioning
#242 Eternally lurking but had to put in my signature.
smiley_rules.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks