What's new

Sideshow/Weta LOTR Collectibles (1 Viewer)

Darko

Stunt Coordinator
Don't feel bad, I held off on Gollum(among others), figuring it will be avvailable later, next thing you know... "Sold Out". Oh well... from now on I'm pre-ordering as soon as they're announced.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Awesome pic of Shelob. Looks like she's not yet available to order, though. Oh well, I expect the flood gates to open in the next couple of weeks...

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yep, it does look like more announcements will come in a week or so. Also from the newsletter:

"Sideshow Collectibles will be debuting our new products for the upcoming 2004 year at Toy Fair, February 15 - 18. Press and reporters are welcome to stop by our booth #2573. Stay tuned to our newsletter as we will start releasing advanced pictures for new items from The Lord of the Rings, James Bond, Hellboy and other product lines. We will also be announcing new properties! "

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor

Nah, I don't feel bad- I was never planning on getting the "Gollum" Gollum. I just couldn't justify the pricing.

EE DVD + statue + Gollum DVD =$50

similar statue alone= $80?!?

Plus they're both too similar. I'm having too much fun 'diversifying' my collection with other statues!

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yes, Shelob looks very cool.

About the open edition items. They eventually decide to "retire" the open items.

Frodo was open, but they retired him. Now he is sold out. Same thing with Samwise and Bill the Pony. Not a limited edition, just retired. Now he's quite expensive if you are stuck going to ebay.

As you look around the Sideshow / Weta website you'll see lots of "retired items". They are not limited editions, but once they are gone, they're gone.

NiklasKarlsson

Stunt Coordinator
Check this out. Master Replicas joins the LOTR bandwagon. This might be some really cool stuff.

Source: www.lordoftheringsguide.com

MASTER REPLICAS PARTNERS WITH NEW LINE CINEMA TO CREATE "THE LORD OF THE RINGS" ELECTRONIC COLLECTIBLES

Quality, Expertise and Strong Success Cited

Los Angeles, CA -- Master Replicas announced today a partnership with New Line Cinema to create and market electronic collectible prop replicas for the award-winning The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Master Replicas will introduce collectibles spanning all three movies beginning spring 2004.

Master Replicas has helped pioneer the category of official, licensed movie and television collectible prop replicas. The company creates a limited number of select prop replicas annually, adding to the uniqueness and value of each piece. To ensure the accuracy of its replicas, Master Replicas goes through a rigorous development process with an obsessive attention to quality and detail. This includes:

-- Detailed examination and measurement of the original prop
-- Extensive high-resolution digital photographs of the original prop
-- State-of-the-art laser scanning of the original prop to produce an extremely accurate digital model
-- Intensive study of studio archival photos and documentation of the original prop's creation
-- Hand-assembly and meticulous finishing of each piece-- Stringent quality control in the manufacturing and finishing process

"The Lord of the Rings is a tremendous property, and we are extremely pleased to have the opportunity to work with New Line Cinema," said Scott Vogel, CEO and President of Master Replicas. "The initial products are already in the works, and we look forward to rolling out a line of merchandise that will exceed all expectations."

"Master Replicas has done an outstanding job developing their extensive line of The Lord of the Rings high-end electronic replicas," commented Randi Goodman, Senior Vice President, Domestic Licensing & Merchandising, New Line Cinema. "We're impressed with their technology and pleased to offer consumers a whole new dimension of The Lord of the Rings collectibles."

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Neat. But what's left to make after United Cuttlery has the sword and weapon arena under control, and Sideshow has the high-end statue market taken careof, with ToyBiz taking care of the low to midrange toy market covered?

Maybe armor. I'd love to get a set of Gondorian leather armor like Faramir was wearing in The Two Towers.

Dave Sutton

Agent
Well, I've been exercising self-control for a while now in not buying any of the statues.

This thread destroyed that in a few short minutes. :D

Just ordered/pre-order:
"Ringwraith and Steed" statue
"The Balrog of Moria" new statue
and
"The Morgul Lord" statue

And I happily blame all of you!
;)

Darko

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Dave, we'll take that as a compliment:D

I just got back from the store with a Nazgul Steed bust:) :emoji_thumbsup:

NiklasKarlsson

Stunt Coordinator
OK, Master Replica has updated their website with a LOTR section. Unfortunately I cant get it to work. You can all get some glimpses of what to expect by their main page here.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
No real details on the MR site yet. But the front page hints they're going to be making swords (Sting), staffs (Gandalf's), and rings. In other words, stuff we've seen before. Did UC lose their license??

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Welcome to the Dark Side Dave. My Saruman and Gollum are shipping. Not having a tracking number is killing me :) Waiting on Boromir and 2x Black Rider to ship. Morgul Lord and Eowyn are preordered. I'm curious to see what my wife is going get me for my birthday; I gave her some statue ideas (Theoden, Easterling, and Urku-Hai Berserker), but she might get me something else entirely.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Oh hell my credit card is going to become a pile of ashes. Curse you New Line and Master Replicas!

The wording of the press release is interesting. It repeatedly says "electronic prop replicas", as if there won't be any that aren't electronic, like that's all they can do with their license to distinguish them from the other licensees. Also, I note that it's a joint press release with New Line Cinema but there's no mention of WETA anywhere.

I'm just wondering what's going to be electronic about them. The only thing I can think of is some light bulbs to make the Phial of Galadriel and the top of Gandalf the Grey's staff glow. Maybe they can make a One Ring, unmovable from its display base of simulated hot coals which sneaks fiber optics into the ring to make the inscription glow.

Since Master Replicas is now under discussion, I have the following from them:
Han Solo's blaster
Darth Vader's lightsaber (Episode IV)
Luke's lightsaber (Episode V)
Obi-Wan's lightsaber (Episode IV, with weathering, not the shiny "as built by" version)
Jedi training remote
Star Trek TOS communicator
Star Trek TOS phaser

They are all great. My favorites are the Han Solo blaster and the Obi-Wan saber. I'd love to see them do a stormtrooper blaster, but since it's based on a real and fairly recent model Sterling machinegun, and they already have issues with having to put bright orange barrel plugs on Jango Fett's pistols to comply with the federal "all toy guns must be made to look like toys" law, that's two strikes against it.

And we're still waiting to see what MR is going to make from the "Alien" and "Predator" licenses they got last year.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Wayne, so all of those Star Wars & Trek gadgets from MR light up, buzz, etc.?

I guess thinking of the "electronic" angle Sting makes sense as well. Built-in orc-sensor... ;)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Although they do have the "FX" series lightsabers with electroluminescent blades and neato sound effects, I don't intend to buy them (among other reasons, they're not limited editions). The only thing my Star Wars prop replicas do is sit inside their acrylic cases and look pretty and beg me to take them out and hold them.

However, all the Star Trek props so far do light up and buzz. The TOS communicator even has the spinning moire dial.

I just thought it was unusual that the press release kept saying "electronic prop replicas" even in the quote from the studio guy. Although, looking at their earlier press releases such as the one for Alien and Predator, it could be a cookie cutter template press release and what I'm seeing is a side effect of some lazy Find & Replace work.

Anyway, maybe MR will be more specific during the toy fair. That would be a good time for Alien and Predator announcements as well. Speaking of toy fair, I'm looking forward to seeing what Sideshow has.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I have been debating about getting Gandalf the White since I am getting Gandalf the Grey and I will be getting Gandalf the White on Shadowfax.

When sideshow's news letter last week said that there were only 60 left, I thought more about it and that carrot made me want to get him.

I went to the website on Sunday, he was no longer listed. I assume those last 60 went pretty quick when that was announced.

So I did a Google search and found a place that had him. I ordered 2, but they emailed me back saying they had only one left, so I'm getting the one.

I figure I can have him and enjoy him for a bit. If the pictures of Gandalf on Shadowfax look as good as I hope, then I can sell the GTW (hopefully at a profit).

Jeez, I started out just wanting to get some cool collectable stuff. Now when I hear about statues that are about to sell out I can't help but think of the potential for profit with some of these. Quark would be proud.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Gandalf the White is great. He was my first statue that wasn't included with something else (Pillars, Smeagol and bookends came first). His robes are really impressive.

Gandalf the White is already selling for about $250 on ebay. If you don't have the Ringwraith on Steed ordered yet, and you want it, it's also retired, and on Sunday they said they had about 200 in stock. I have no doubt it'll be sold out by the end of the month.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I cannot believe the prices these things are fetching on EBay. Two Balrogs just sold - one for $2000 and the other for $2125!! I'm looking at mine right now thinking I ought to lock the damn thing up for safekeeping!! ;)

I was looking at picking up a Fell Beast/Morgul Lord on EBay, but man! He's already going for well over $400. I was hoping a 3000-piece run might not escalate so much so fast. Why oh why didn't I buy him when I had the chance? I had my mouse ready to click the buy button... Arghhhhh!! (Same thing with Orthanc last year).

Got the UC mini Shards of Narsil tonight. Nice little piece at a very reasonable price. Also got my first sword ever, Sting, which is very cool (and just makes me want Anduril more). :D

I'm sick I tell you, sick!

Kami

Screenwriter
Next week at this time we should know all of the new ROTK products, I don't know if my credit card can take it. So far I have these pre-ordered:

Morgul Lord
Sauron
Gandalf w/ Shadowfax
Eowyn as Dernhelm
The Balrog

I think another cool set would be the 4 hobbits sitting around the table in the green dragon at the end of ROTK. One of my favorite moments in the movie, but one of those things that probably didn't even cross their minds when it came to statues.

Kami

Screenwriter
I'll be heading to a store on thursday and I am pretty sure they have both the King Theoden and Elrond statues in stock. I'm seriously considering buying one...don't know what to choose though. Anyone have any comments on either of them?

Right now I am leaning towards Theoden...mainly because I love his character in the movie....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks