Sid Caesar on DVD

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by jdee28, Feb 13, 2014.

1. jdee28

jdee28 Screenwriter

John
    The passing of Sid Caesar had me wanting to revisit his work, but it's sad how little of it is available on DVD. Just a couple out of print sketch compilations, now going for a few hundred dollars on Amazon. It's a shame no one tried releasing full-length shows. It's sad to think the work of one of the greatest television comedians of all time will practically be lost to the ages, as so little of it is out there for people to enjoy or discover for the first time.

2. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    I watched Airport 1975 yesterday in tribute to Sid Caesar, since a made an appearance in it. So long Sid, RIP.

3. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
  4. Brian McP

Brian McP Second Unit

Brian
    I got the first box set of his work around 2000 and there was two others, but was unsure whether it had new shows or was merely the first box set repackaged. He had his own website that sold these sets -- a reprint of all of these would be certainly welcome, and above all, at a reasonable price (as these early sets were very expensive, compared to the content they had)

I took my set to a drinkers club of people who would have known Sid's work of the era and played it on the main tv -- none of Sid's shows played here in Australia, so it was all new, and everyone was amazed that it was all done live. Before long, everyone was laughing and was a huge hit on the night -- the fact that everyone was quietly getting loaded at the same time certainly made Sid and co's stay at the club that evening a very memorable one.

5. jdee28

jdee28 Screenwriter

John
  6. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W