What's new

'Shrek' or 'Monsters Inc' the better film? (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Well, let me see. Based on my defintion of what a movie is, and what a film is (I really see them as the same thing), then Monsters, Inc..
Based on the HTF definition of what a movie is and what a film is, and since the question is in regards to film,
it's still Monsters, Inc..
In either case, it's not by much, seeing as I enjoyed both movies immensely.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Stranger things have happened..." - Wes Deskins
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Shrek
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Although I enjoyed Shrek, I thought it was a bit overrated.
I can't vote though, since I have not seen Monsters, Inc. yet...maybe this weekend.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I liked Shrek and picked up the DVD as well but as far as which is better......it's MONSTERS INC.

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
I liked Shrek but Monsters was the better film of the two. Pixar is pretty tough to beat & I liked the ending.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I found Shrek to be consistently funnier and better-looking visually. Monsters Inc. seemed aimed at a more family-oriented audience, which is fine, but not exactly tailor-made for me.
Both movies are just slightly overrated, I think.
------------------

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Shrek, easily. I am continually impress that Dreamworks puts out great animated movies like Antz, POE, and Shrek. I have liked all of them over the Disney counterparts. Maybe with the exception of Toystory, which I enjoyed. But I like the fact that they don't tone it down for kids. Being a 23 year old GEN Xer, I still like cartoons but not kiddie toons.
Thanks God for Dreamworks and Fox. They know what they are doing.
Agin...SHREK.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I wasn't crazy about either film, but I liked the pokes at Disney that were in "Shrek."
I say "Shrek" is better, but not by much.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Monsters Inc by a wide margin. Shrek was decent but far, far from a great film.
Why do I prefer Monsters Inc.?
1) Better characters
2) More laughs
3) Stronger story
4) Lots of heart
5) No mile-wide mean streak
6) No Smash Mouth
7) No tired, lame Matrix gags
8) No 'Macarena' gags
9) No screamingly unfunny Donkey characters
Shrek wants it both ways -- it wants to be hip and self-aware, pissing all over the fairy-tale paradigm... but then, by the end of the movie, it wants the audience to embrace said paradigm with a "love-conquers-perceptions" theme.
And then, Shrek completely wimps out with its Spoiler:for the two of them to be together, she obviously must remain an ogre rather than a beautiful princess ending.
As always, YMMV...
------------------
If you have to get your DVDs on the street date, buy them in person at Best Buy or Costco. If you have to get your DVDs at the lowest bargain price available, order them online. Pick one and shut the fuck up.
- DVD Freaks at The Lard Biscuit

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Thanks God for Dreamworks and Fox. They know what they are doing.
That would explain both Titan A.E. and The Road To El Dorado
laugh.gif

- Matt (30 yr. old Gen X'er who despises labels and enjoys ALL good animation, despite its targeted age level)
------------------
If you have to get your DVDs on the street date, buy them in person at Best Buy or Costco. If you have to get your DVDs at the lowest bargain price available, order them online. Pick one and shut the fuck up.
- DVD Freaks at The Lard Biscuit

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks