What's new

Showtime's "Dexter" (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
After "losing" Kidnapped and Daybreak it was really satisfying just getting through a story arc on one of my favorite shows.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a good wrap-up to the season as well. Now Rita's second-guessing of Dex after finding the shoe could make things a little tense between her and Dex. Rita's come a long way, not putting up with Paul's narc sponsor, and just not self-conscious enough to not tell him to just go away. Rita in the past would have let the sponsor get the best of her in those situations. Wonder how the Dex-Doakes cat-n-mouse games will end up. Also, what kind of person is the new Lt., and does Maria have an ally in place. Dex just wants to be loved for what he does, LOL at that ending sequence of Dex experiencing the adulation he so desperately wants for his actions.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
You know, the records lady that knows Dexter's history is going to know that the ITK was his brother, since his real name came out. Especially since Dexter had been dredging that history up recently. I hope this isn't ignored next season.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I gotta say, 2006 is/was a stellar year for TV. And this is one of the main reasons for saying so (the other show being BSG, but that's another thread).

It's interesting to see just how strongly Harry's "code" has taken root in Dexter; his voice-over about killing the one person who knew and accepted him for who he really was, was so plaintive you had to feel for the guy, yet Harry's code required him to off the ITK. Or perhaps it was adopted familial love, his stated reason after all was to protect Deb.

Gerat stuff, now for the interminable long wait until S2... but at least now I can go look for the book!

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Nooooo, don't read the 2nd book. I read the first and it sort of ruined the series for me. Unless you're referring to the first book then by all means, go ahead and read that one. ;)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I'm planning on reading the first book myself, but I have to ask, is it completely self-contained in this season? By reading it, will there be any spoilers for next season?

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator
I went out and bought the book as soon as the season ended and I was sorely disappointed. By no means is it bad, but I found that everything was better on the TV show. Not the least of which was the prose, especially Dexter's voiceovers.

Also, as was previously mentioned, the show, (by necessity), contains SO much more in the way of character development in every single facet. As an example, the flashback to when Harry was sick in the hospital contains just the hospital conversation with Dexter. The actual killing is not even described. Angel gets mentioned maybe 3 times total. Rita's ex is just background story, etc etc.

I don't feel cheated in buying the book and in some way feel glad in supporting the writer of such a great character, but expect to be disappointed. By the way, there's no spoilers for any future series.

Steve

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It was renewed for TWO more seasons by Showtime. That's a good sign. I think it did well, it sure deserved to do well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks