What's new

Showtime's "Dexter" (1 Viewer)

Michael Napier

Stunt Coordinator
I'm enjoying the show but I hope it doesn't turn out that Dexter is schizophrenic and that he himself is the prostitute killer. That would be too cliche.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
10/22/06

Yup, enjoyed the cat-n-mouse game of the overall arc, but also the smaller subplots keep things from getting stale. It's going to be hard to see someone dressed up as Tomb Raider and not expect something extra from them. The barking dog subplot featured a growing backbone for Rita. Angel's homelife subplot wasn't what was expected. Doakes getting used a bait was a nice touch, but he did get in a few shots of his own with the cop mad at him for schtuppin' his now deceased sister. Dexten continues to prop up Deb's detective career with an anonymous tip. Dexter's own past continues to push the present overall plot. If Dexter were "normal", he's be freaked out about the serial bloodless butcher having the 411 on him, but Dexter uses it to his advantage.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

This subplot was better then a lot of show's main plot. The way it was played was so true to life it reminded me of our neighborhood. I loved the bitchy neighbor ;)

This show continues to impress. One of the very few shows on TV that is must watch for me.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
In a strange way, Dexter's presence in Rita's life gives her strength in her everyday life. If she only knew of his true dark side...

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I have a feeling that whats going to happen is Deb will eventually catch the killer on her own, and at the same time discover about her brother, forcing her to choose between the biggest case of her career, and her brother. Hopefully I'm wrong, because the show has been pleasantly surprising me so far, but we'll see I guess. Does anyone know how many episodes this is going to run?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Great episode tonight. And future previews look incredible. This show continues to impress. I knew the deviation from plan might come back and bite him in the ass. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That eye in the trunk was spooky as hell!

Deb continues to be a rising star in the hunt for the icetruck killer.

I LOL when Dexter thought the appropriate thing to do after he and Rita watched a light film (Terms of Endearment) was to reciprocate what Rita provided him in the Lara Croft outfit. He's really an emotional void at times.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
CLASSIC episode tonight. Great tension all the way through. I loved it, it was just riveting. My wife and I sat and didn't get up for the entire showing, waiting to see what the hell was going to happen. The camera work on this show is top notch.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The look on Dex's face when the wife's body is revealed at the crime scene was excellent. Also laughed at the "Patrick Bateman" alias he used. Rita's definitely not the pushover we met just 6 episodes ago.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I also really liked the episode. Provided a lot of tension for the anti-hero and conflicted emotions for the audience - feeling sorry for a serial killer and hoping his secret isn't discovered.

I hope they really think through season 2 - I really like the chess match going on between Dex and Ice Truck and hope that whatever direction they go it's as compelling.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
BRILLIANT.

This show has stayed maybe the best show on TV in my book, it and BSG are the only absolutely don't miss programs on my list this year.

But the last 30 seconds of this show are so damn good that I watched it on playback a few times.. just for that facial expression. Jeez!

I know a lot of people aren't watching because they don't have showtime, but this is one of the best cable dramas period.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I told my wife it's the best facial expression move I've seen on film since Bud Cort's turn toward the camera in "Harold & Maude"

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Last nights episode may be one of the strangest watching experiences I've had. I kept feeling all episode long like it was a super cop-out on the part of the writers the way the ice truck killer came to an end. I just felt cheated. And then, in the last five minutes, the show totally redeemed itself.

Hell, it more then did that, I thought the end was one of the best moments on TV in years.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This episode was delicious. The amount of tension and self-recriminations built up throughout the episode was top-notch. Rita's truly becoming a feisty lil' lady. Dexter realizing the game was still "on" produced an excellent reaction shot.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I watched the pilot on on demand last night based on the recommendations of this thread. While watching I thought that this story is very familiar. It mirrors an idea I had with a vigilante serial killer. I thought it would make a great book or movie, not that I'm a writer or anything like that. So I'm watching it with my wife and I said, see this is the idea I had. She said, wait a minute, we read this book and you said you had the idea back then.

The book was Darkly Dreaming Dexter and I read it a couple of years ago. Kind of kills the series for me since I know what's going to happen but I'll watch anyway because it looks fun in a sickly twisted way.

Jeff Lindsay has several Dexter books and I have only read the first, so if they do one book a season it would be cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks