What's new

Shows That Will Never Be Released (1 Viewer)

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
LeoAmes said:
What's the chances of The Life of Riley? For popular but mostly forgotten 50's shows, that one has to at least get close to top contender for getting an unlikely DVD release.

Any crippling problems other than the march of time that would all but guarantee it not leaving the vaults?
I've seen a few episodes of TLOR on the Star Television Network, whose Minnesota affiliate was KXLI-41 in St.Cloud back in 1990, and it had a pristine quality to it due to transfers being made at the time, and it was distributed by New World Television, so it may be a Fox property today!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
oldtvshowbuff said:
I've seen a few episodes of TLOR on the Star Television Network, whose Minnesota affiliate was KXLI-41 in St.Cloud back in 1990, and it had a pristine quality to it due to transfers being made at the time, and it was distributed by New World Television, so it may be a Fox property today!
It's a show I've heard my dad talk about from time to time that he remembers watching. As a matter of fact we have a friend who's last name is Riley. My dad would pick on him sometimes about having a TV show named for him!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
oldtvshowbuff said:
There's your answer, its owned by Fox. Even when they got the rights, they only syndicated 91 of the 217 episodes.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi neil,

does fox own all 217 episodes ? and as far as you know, the originals still exist ?

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
ok guys, another prediction for you.

ed will come out, at some point. i am willing to stick my foot in my mouth on this one, cuz i saw it.

it is a good show, that will continue to have value for people.

the theme is an old one, but it never runs out of appeal.

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
phillyguy83 said:
Unfortunately, Ed (2000-2004) will most likely never see a DVD release, given the dreaded song rights issues.
As well as ownership issues disputes between NBC-Uni Television Distribution and CBS Television Distribution.

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
jimmyjet said:
ok guys, another prediction for you.ed will come out, at some point. i am willing to stick my foot in my mouth on this one, cuz i saw it.it is a good show, that will continue to have value for people.Yeah, I hope StarVista releasea it in the future, because if they did it for China Beach and Wonder Years, I know they can do this for Ed and WKRP.the theme is an old one, but it never runs out of appeal.

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
jimmyjet said:
ok guys, another prediction for you.ed will come out, at some point. i am willing to stick my foot in my mouth on this one, cuz i saw it.it is a good show, that will continue to have value for people.the theme is an old one, but it never runs out of appeal.
I hope that StarVista releases this and WKRP to DVD in the future, becayse if they can do it for China Beach and Wonder Years, I bet they can clear the rights for the songs used in both shows and get it released.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Since Star Vista/ Time Life releases one big show a year each fall and Wonder Years is for this fall we most likely won't see anything from them until fall of 2015. It probably took them nearly a year to clear all the in Wonder Years

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
cold case will be out.

as i told brad or randy ?, you guys can start a thread on all the shows that i have put my foot in my mouth on.

the only thing that tends to hurt this show is that at least for awhile, tv was inundated with all these who done it shows. gosh, there were 4 csi's ?

most of them i did see, and enjoyed. but they all sorta run together. and do not really have that much of a human equation to them.

but i still think cold case will get released.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
DisneySwan1990 said:
I hope that StarVista releases this and WKRP to DVD in the future, becayse if they can do it for China Beach and Wonder Years, I bet they can clear the rights for the songs used in both shows and get it released.
That would certainly be wonderful. Maybe it's solely because of ownership, but Fox have just cracked down on a bunch of the WKRP episodes on YouTube. Why do I ponder this, well, Warner did the same with Harry O some time before its DVD release. I know, entirely different story and situation perhaps but who knows. Anyway, what would the world be without hope...

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
HenryDuBrow said:
That would certainly be wonderful. Maybe it's solely because of ownership, but Fox have just cracked down on a bunch of the WKRP episodes on YouTube. Why do I ponder this, well, Warner did the same with Harry O some time before its DVD release. I know, entirely different story and situation perhaps but who knows. Anyway, what would the world be without hope...
With the Wonder Years coming out, I think WKRP is a real possibility for StarVista to tackle next. It is very well done and will have plenty of demand for a release. It is the perfect candidate for 2015 IMO.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i already said so, but i am fairly confident you guys will get this show out at some point.

they cant do everything as quickly as we may desire. but there has been a tremendous amount of stuff already out that we can enjoy.

which i am thrilled about.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
BobO'Link said:
Based on its history and treatment by AMC I'm never expecting to see Remember WENN receive a DVD release. It was reportedly slated for a fifth season, but was canceled when new management took over AMC. That was way back when they first started putting commercials between programs and began driving the channel into the ground. At only 56 episodes it should be an easy release and possible seller as it *did* air on CBS for a while so got larger exposure than a cable only channel.
Many would say that AMC is at its best as a channel now with the shows that it has on and that have made its fortune (although that does not excuse what happened to ​Remember WENN.)

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
HenryDuBrow said:
You mean Fox removed all the WKRP eps from YT?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
There's hardly ever anything up for WKRP on YouTube. They clean house pretty regularly unlike for many other shows that frequently have most of their run available on YouTube at any one time.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
What you are very unlikely to ever see released:

Black and white short run sitcoms, such as Our Man Higgins, Ichabod and Me, Fair Exchange, Baileys of Balboa, etc. Only chance for anything in this category might be the few that Warner owns that may make it out through Warner Archives some day.

Failed sitcoms done on videotape. Nobody is going to the trouble and expense of pulling out the 2-inch tapes on shows that ran for a year or less. On The Rocks, Calucci's Department, Big Eddie, Ball Four, Joe and Sons, We'll Get By are some examples.

Spring tryout series. All of those little 4, 5 and 6 episode series that were produced for a limited run to see if they caught on enough to be brought back in the fall. Starting in the mid-70s, lots of these things were produced, some of them quite good, some of them terrible. But if you didn't record them then, there's zero chance of them ever seeing the light of day again. Best Times, Eye To Eye, AES Hudson Street, Double Dare, Me and Mom, Spies. Seen once, never repeated and never will be seen again.

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
The 1993 'Route 66', which lasted for four episodes, would be also an example of that... (short spring run series)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks