What's new

Shows That Will Never Be Released (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi brad,

i will re-update the list with the changes suggested since the last update.

btw, this is not my list. it is the list of shows that everyone on this thread had mentioned.

and then i think i added a few from other threads that we had talked about ?

this recent conversation between us started a long time ago with others !!

i am not familiar with a lot of the shows on this list.

but as i stated, i did state a lot of shows that i thought would be released at some point, on various threads.

and if you want to create a specific thread, so that you can point to, i am more than willing to place them on record in one place.

all you gotta do is ask me about any particular show. if i know it, i will give you my opinion.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
smithbrad said:
So Jimmie can we get a timeframe around this? I mean what good is it to wait for these releases as you suggest if we don't live long enough to enjoy.
i dont know about time frames. i have lots of time left, unless i die accidentally.

so i am more than happy to "wait", cuz there is already tons of stuff out to watch.

i am more concerned with how i am gonna store it all !!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi brad,

if i recall, the rules for this list were stated as shows that had no releases yet.

so i am not sure i can add some of your shows if they have had partial releases.

but go ahead and start a thread if you want to, about shows that wont have an un-edited release.

i am willing to put my foot in my mouth on quite a few shows.

there have already been quite a few now that were released when people kept saying what you are saying.

the trouble with most people's thought patterns is that they dont see the big picture.

so they are continually surprised.

while i just sit back and watch it all happen, enjoying life as it unfolds, and never waiting for the kettle to boil. approaching life like that, one hears the whistle all the time !!

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I, too, would love to see a complete series release of The Defenders and the two-part drama The Defender from the Studio One anthology show would make an excellent bonus feature.

Darby

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
This thread and list is perfectly fine, no reason to start anything new.

Actually, at best I might know of 20% of the shows on this list. While I don't know which might or might not have issues being completed, I think it would be great accomplishment if only 50% of these every came out in any form.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
smithbrad said:
I've seen one episode of The Defenders on an old bootleg print with William Shatner playing a war vet accused of murder. I know there are many opinions good and bad about the quality of the show and the politics involved. I would at least be interested myself to see a release. I to am curious as to what it would take for a release to happen.
I've never watched The Defenders so I don't know what the politics involved are. On the other hand in watching Quincy, M.E., Quincy is always on some sort of political kick to get this law passed or to change something. I just don't see the difference.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Let's just that like all shows that have the name Herbert Brodkin attached to them, the politics all follow the same one-way street. If that's your cup of tea, you'll like it, but for myself, I'll be quite content to never own it.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Jack P said:
Let's just that like all shows that have the name Herbert Brodkin attached to them, the politics all follow the same one-way street. If that's your cup of tea, you'll like it, but for myself, I'll be quite content to never own it.
So based on this I would assume you wouldn't like "Brenner"? I enjoyed watching the mini-set released by Timeless but did not know until now it was associated with Herbert Brodkin.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Brodkin lost me when I sampled "For The People" and "Coronet Blue". After those experiences I'm immunized from wanting to see anything with his name on it.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
smithbrad said:
This thread and list is perfectly fine, no reason to start anything new.

Actually, at best I might know of 20% of the shows on this list. While I don't know which might or might not have issues being completed, I think it would be great accomplishment if only 50% of these every came out in any form.
okay. the main way that i find out if a show has been edited is not until it goes on sale, and i look to purchase it.

then i make sure it has completed its original run, and look to see if it has been edited.

so i am probably not aware of most of the problems with editing on various shows - only the ones that i had contemplated purchasing.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
jimmyjet said:
updated list. shows in red are being released.

01 - batman

02 - wonder years

03 - new york undercover

04 - cold case

05 - amos and andy

06 - custer

07 - defenders

08 - carter country

09 - bj

10 - lobo

11 - our miss brooks

12 - december bride

13 - wkrp in cincinnati

14 - sheena, queen of the jungle

15 - accidental family

16 - 0.K. crackerby!

17 - mr. novak

18 - strike force

19 - today's f.b.i.

20 - mclain's law

21 - jennifer slept here

22 - open all night

23 - cliff hangers

24 - hardcore tv

25 - steambath

26 - 9 to 5

27 - it's a living

28 - at ease

29 - condo

30 - reggie

31 - star of the family

32 - oh madeline

33 - mama malone

34 - amanda's

35 - townies

36 - cupid

37 - the class

38 - house of buggin'

39 - coupling

40 - that '80s show

41 - garrison's gorillas

42 - twelve o'clock high

43 - get christie love

44 - hot l baltimore

45 - Betty White Show

46 - Phyliss

47 - Makin' It

48 - cher

49 - Jacksons

50 - Lou Grant

51 - Amazing Spider Man

52 - Bob, Carol, Ted & Alice

53 - Fantastic Journey

54 - James At 15

55 - Lucan

56 - Paper Moon

57 - Paul Lynde Show

58 - Salvage 1

59 - Shields & Yarnell

60 - Sonny Comedy Revue

61 - Starland Vocal Band Show

62 - Swiss Family Robinson

63 - Angie

64 - Movin’ On

65 - Nanny & The Professor

66 - Operation Petticoat

67 - Ropers

68 - Temperatures Rising

69 - Tony Randall Show

70 - 240 Robert

71 - Goodnight, Beantown

72 - She's The Sheriff

73 - Holmes & YoYo

74 - malcolm in the middle

75 - Lineup, AKA San Francisco Beat

76 - Cover Up

77 - Karen

78 - Harris Against the World

79 - Tom, Dick and Mary

80 - No Time For Sergeants

81 - Wendy and Me

82 - Tycoon

83 - Jean Arthur Show

84 - Run Buddy Run

85 - Rango

86 - Pruitts of Southhampton

87 - Five Fingers

88 - Bus Stop

89 - Mr. Broadway

90 - Greatest Show on Earth

91 - Reporter

92 - Good Life

93 - Paul Lynde

94 - Second Hundred Years

95 - Love on a Rooftop

96 - Nancy

97 - Occasional

98 -Blue Light

99 - Man Who Never Was

100 - Baileys of Balboa

101 - Cara Williams Show

102 - Many Happy Returns

103 - Hank

104 - Camp Runamuck

105 - Pistols 'n Petticoats

106 - Saints and Sinners

107 - Great Adventure

108 - Ichabod and Me

109 - Bing Crosby Show

110 - Mickey

111 - Valentine's Day

112 - Man Called Shenandoah

113 - Double Life of Henry Phyfe

114 - Don Rickles Show

115 - My Friend Tony

116 - Coronet Blue

117 - Immortal

118 - Young Lawyers

119 - Longstreet

120 - Mr. Roberts

121 - Loner

122 - Trials Of O'Brien

123 - Hey Landlord

124 - It's About Time

125 - Hero

126 - T.H.E. Cat

127 - He and She

128 - Blondie

129 - Outsider

130 - Debbie Reynolds Show

131 - For the People

132 - Make Room For Granddaddy

133 - Dan August

134 - Manhunter

135 - Most Wanted

136 - Assignment: Vienna

137 - Funny Face

138 - Here We Go Again

139 - A Touch of Grace

140 - donny and marie

141 - relativity

142 - new leave it to beaver

143 - Noah's Ark (Webb series)

144 - The Millionaire

145 - Aldrich Family

146 - Climax

147 - Danger

148 - Death Valley Days

149 - Love that Bob

150 - Omnibus

151 - Pete & Gladys

152 - Tugboat Annie

153 - Valentine's Day
I can think of a few more!!!
Bachelor Father

Rescue 8

Shotgun Slade

Jefferson Drum

Burns and Allen

The Farmer's Daughter

Two Faces West

Tightrope

And many, many more!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:
Brodkin lost me when I sampled "For The People" and "Coronet Blue". After those experiences I'm immunized from wanting to see anything with his name on it.
Way to keep an open mind. You watched 2 episodes of 2 short-run half season series and on the basis of that, rule out the entire body of work of one of the most important producers in the history of the medium. Okay, that's your prerogative. Similar producers, such as David Susskind and Rod Serling should also be on your no viewing list.

To answer the question as to why it hasn't come out, The Defenders hasn't been seen in syndication since the late 60s. Its in black and white and CBS probably doesn't see enough of a market for it. Adding to the problems is that it has a split ownership, between CBS (by way of Paramount buying Brodkin's company) and the estate of Reginald Rose. So, were CBS to put it out, they are looking at shared profits which no doubt makes it less appealing for them to release.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I actually watched a half dozen episodes of "For The People" (which is nearly half the run) and a like number of episodes of "Coronet Blue" (likewise nearly half the run). In the case of both, that was enough to make me detect a rather obvious trend, which is merely reinforced when I read the articles put out by those who have praised the other shows he's responsible for. They're the ones who thought it was a virtue for him to be putting agenda stories of one end of the spectrum in that era. I merely choose to take them at their word and decide that's enough reason for me to not waste my time any further (his comments insulting TV audiences of the late 1950s and early 1960s also didn't help his case with me). That's showing a lot more of an "open mind" I think than I've seen from certain other people in this world in regards to other people in other mediums.

I'm well aware of Serling's proclivities as well, but Serling at least put out work that I see foremost as good entertainment first where the agenda isn't in-your-face. When Serling forgot that axiom, the end result were truly bad episodes of TZ like "I Am The Night, Color Me Black" which never ends up on anyone's favorite episode list (okay, maybe a few exceptions, but it's 95% plus the other way).

I choose not to make any comment about Susskind.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i guess i liked rod serling for the statements he made about stuff.

while some have regarded some of his episodes as being preachy, i say thank you.

i dont know why tv show writers are thought of negatively for this.

song writers are generally praised for doing the same thing.

gosh, dylan is an icon above all others in that regard.

it seems to me that serling was always bringing out something important.

not like he was talking about democrats and republicans or just some dumb politics.

we could use a lot more of that, imo.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Ethan Riley said:
I always maintain that our "nevers" eventually show up on dvd anyway. Here are some notorious "nevers" from the past:

Saturday Night Live
China Beach
Ally McBeal
The Carol Burnett Show

All of these were in the "never" category because of music rights. While it's true certain scenes were trimmed from Carol Burnett because of music rights, we still got a lot of episodes uncut, and doubtless more to come. Ally was one that people were really worried about...the show used a Barry White song repeatedly (he loved it so much he did a cameo on the show), they had Vonda Shepard perform weekly (she did loads of cover songs). The dancing babies performed "Hooked on a Feeling." Ally even sang "Dulcinea" from "Man of La Mancha" more than once. All of this and lots more wound up on the dvds. And the members of this forum said it couldn't be done. Well it was done, and I didn't exactly see the naysayers eating crow after "Ally" was released.

Any show can be released after music rights nightmares are solved. It takes a lot of time and a lot of sensitivity and care on the part of the dvd producers. When Sony or whoever slaps "WKRP" on dvd, they are not sensitive to the music rights issues. They're trying to turn a quick buck from catalog inventory. That's not what makes a good dvd in most cases.

Getting back to the message topic, I do see a market for pretty much every scripted show (that survives). That would include all comedies and dramas from the dawn of television to the present day. Will we have them all? No. It takes a lot of interest and money to make these things happen. But you just never know when the right people get their hands on these shows and try to make a go of it.

I don't expect ever to see "season" sets of soap operas, news programs, talk shows and most variety shows (there will be some exceptions to that last category). The daily soaps, news, talk and game shows simply have too many episodes to put out, but there are always "best of" collections.

We just take what we get. The fact that a certain older program isn't on dvd now doesn't mean it never will be. They are still releasing quality shows from the 50s and 60s. Not as quickly as they used to, but things are still coming out.
my consensus, pretty much to a tee.

i have already heard "never" quite a few times.

then when it comes out, silence. dr. kildare was one of them.

and when ben casey follows, there will be more silence.

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
Dear Warner Home Video,When are we gonna see an official DVD release of Suddenly Susan, Veronica's Closet, 2 of a Kind, and Step By Step? I'm really pissed the hell off those shows are NOT on DVD!! Is it music clearance issues that's holding back the releases of these shows?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
What's the chances of The Life of Riley? For popular but mostly forgotten 50's shows, that one has to at least get close to top contender for getting an unlikely DVD release.

Any crippling problems other than the march of time that would all but guarantee it not leaving the vaults?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks