What's new

shows that have been destroyed (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Adam_S said:
Considering ABC is in the process of liquidating a million physical master tape assets (many are the only physical master copies of a lot of shows) we'll probably have a lot more lost shows in the future. Don't worry though, it's all been migrated to servers, so I'm sure it's all very safe.
As long as the data on those servers can be retrieved.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
MatthewA said:
As long as the data on those servers can be retrieved.
Migration to servers is becoming the preferred method of storage. As long as comprehensive backup strategies are in place, the content should be as safe as physical media.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Jack P said:
Only the first two from Season 1. All the off-air recordings from 1985 repeats on WLIG are from Seasons 2 to 5. All 11 Season 2 shows are the snowy quality ones, while the Season 3-5 shows in circulation are good quality recordings. The total number of episodes in circulation counting the two master copies of the first two episodes is 28.
What I want to know is if someone somewhere has the Bernadette Peters episode(s) of Pyramid. And on the topic, the Dusty Springfield ep. of You Don't Say.

And what about the Universal fire question? Was any series lost from that?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
No, there are no Peters episodes in circultion. She did a week of daytime Pyramid in December 1975 which is two and a half years before the intact part of the run begins and her two nighttime Pyramid episodes were in the first season for which we only have the two archival episodes of the first two shows (but its a high probability they exist).

You Don't Say was wiped out of existence. There are only four episodes of the entire six year run that exist in collectors circles plus one 1964 nighttime show (though the entire night run from 64 likely exists as kinescopes; GSN never owned the rights to YDS or any shows of the Ralph Andrews library).

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
JMFabianoRPL said:
What I want to know is if someone somewhere has the Bernadette Peters episode(s) of Pyramid. And on the topic, the Dusty Springfield ep. of You Don't Say.

And what about the Universal fire question? Was any series 'lost from that?
You could look for the thread titled "The Universal Fire" in TV on DVD/Blu-Ray.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Jack P said:
No, there are no Peters episodes in circultion. She did a week of daytime Pyramid in December 1975 which is two and a half years before the intact part of the run begins and her two nighttime Pyramid episodes were in the first season for which we only have the two archival episodes of the first two shows (but its a high probability they exist).

You Don't Say was wiped out of existence. There are only four episodes of the entire six year run that exist in collectors circles plus one 1964 nighttime show (though the entire night run from 64 likely exists as kinescopes; GSN never owned the rights to YDS or any shows of the Ralph Andrews library).
I wonder if anyone from Bernadette's camp (or her herself) would have any tapes of these episodes?

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
JMFabianoRPL said:
I wonder if anyone from Bernadette's camp (or her herself) would have any tapes of these episodes?
As it is, does anyone have any memories of her appearances on any Pyramid? Or of Dusty's on YDS?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:
Is that 100% accurate? Because I heard that all of the You Don't Say tapes existed due to syndication. Believe I was told that they were at MGM but it was quite a while ago so I'm not sure.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
YDS was never syndicated in repeats. There were two separate revivals of YDS in the 70s with a modfied format, one on ABC in 1975 with Tom Kennedy again hosting that lasted four months and for which two episodes archival quality are in circulation. Then there was a syndicated version with the same modified format hosted by Jim Peck that ran from 1978-79 of which several episodes are in circulation. It's possible that maybe one of *these* two versions is still extant but the state of the Ralph Andrews library is a total unknown factor. We can't even be sure that "Liars Club" which had reruns of its first season on USA in the 80s is still extant (Andrews sometime in the 90s got into some serious legal trouble as I recall)

But as for the classic NBC original, forget it. Maybe all of the 1964 nighttime shows are intact (there's one episode at the Paley Center not in the collectors market which features some totally inept playing by Gary Lockwood)

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Jack P said:
YDS was never syndicated in repeats. There were two separate revivals of YDS in the 70s with a modfied format, one on ABC in 1975 with Tom Kennedy again hosting that lasted four months and for which two episodes archival quality are in circulation. Then there was a syndicated version with the same modified format hosted by Jim Peck that ran from 1978-79 of which several episodes are in circulation. It's possible that maybe one of *these* two versions is still extant but the state of the Ralph Andrews library is a total unknown factor. We can't even be sure that "Liars Club" which had reruns of its first season on USA in the 80s is still extant (Andrews sometime in the 90s got into some serious legal trouble as I recall)

But as for the classic NBC original, forget it. Maybe all of the 1964 nighttime shows are intact (there's one episode at the Paley Center not in the collectors market which features some totally inept playing by Gary Lockwood)
So LC and YDS all went back to Ralph Andrews, despite the syndicators? (Liars' Club, what was seen on USA, was distributed by Four Star, making you wonder if Fox has those eps. for instance)

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
JMFabianoRPL said:
So LC and YDS all went back to Ralph Andrews, despite the syndicators? (Liars' Club, what was seen on USA, was distributed by Four Star, making you wonder if Fox has those eps. for instance)
And Viacom for the Peck YDS (which had an ORANGE background version of the V of Doom logo). Same thing with the Cullen Pyramids.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
A few things...

There's a new Doctor Who rumor online that more found episodes are on their way- supposedly they are being restored/remastered before an official announcement is made by the BBC. Supposedly the entire "Marco Polo" story with Hartnell has been found, but then again, it's just a rumor.

Someone asked about the 1965 Robert Horton western Shenandoah. I have a theory as to the fate of the missing episodes. The show was on ABC for the '65-66 season and was not renewed. As far as I know, it was never seen in reruns until it was shown on TNT decades later. Since it was never syndicated into reruns, the masters lay in its studio valut. The studio in question was MGM, which produced the show. Maybe the missing negatives were casualties of the 1967 vault fire: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_MGM_Vault_fire

Considering the upcoming 50th anniversary of the JFK assasination, don't be surprised if we see more of the archived video footage of the event. Both CBS and NBC saved the videotapes of the coverage of the story as the news broke. I think for either the 25th or 30th Anniversary the History Channel ran the entire B/W tape of the first few hours of NBC's coverage with Chet Huntley and Frank McGee as the events played out, and it is stunning to see the newsmen getting the details from correspondents via phone, especially the first report that JFK had died (from a priest who gave last rites). I had seen the special when it first aired, and it's on YouTube (it's several hours long, but there's only audio for the first 6 1/2 minutes until the video image shows up- remember, this was a cut-in and the NBC News cameras had to be switched on)

Amazingly, I understand that the Kennedy Inauguration had been broadcast in color over NBC in 1961 and the videotape was later erased!!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And once again it is the earlier pre-1978 era of $20,000 Pyramid that has yielded more off-air recordings by contestants than ANY other "lost" game show of the 70s. This even includes a home recording of the second ever win in program history during the first week of the CBS $10,000 Pyramid from 1973.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
I bet there would have been even more "lost" recordings resurfacing if VHS and Beta had been introduced earlier, and if they weren't too expensive when they were actually introduced (1975 and 1976 respectively).

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Charles Ellis said:
Someone asked about the 1965 Robert Horton western Shenandoah. I have a theory as to the fate of the missing episodes. The show was on ABC for the '65-66 season and was not renewed. As far as I know, it was never seen in reruns until it was shown on TNT decades later. Since it was never syndicated into reruns, the masters lay in its studio valut. The studio in question was MGM, which produced the show. Maybe the missing negatives were casualties of the 1967 vault fire: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_MGM_Vault_fire
Amazing how this misinformation is constantly being repeated. Here is the story and why somebody is spreading this false information. When TNT ran the show, they didn't run every episode. That's it. That's the whole reason why people keep saying episodes are missing. Nothing is missing. They didn't run the whole series, just as they didn't do with many of the old shows they ran. They didn't run every Mr. Novak or Cain's Hundred or a lot of shows. They ran only one Lieutenant. Obviously not missing as the complete series is on DVD. MGM has a complete run of the show. Period. End of story. There is a complete set on 3/4 at Library of Congress as well, which MGM donated along with complete runs of their other series. Can we finally put this falsehood to rest, please.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
IntoIt said:
I bet there would have been even more "lost" recordings resurfacing if VHS and Beta had been introduced earlier, and if they weren't too expensive when they were actually introduced (1975 and 1976 respectively).
I have friends who started recording on 3/4 and reel-to-reel around 1974. Of course, tape costs limited what could be kept.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
In the small world category, the clip of the second past win at the beginning of that first episode posted with Loretta Swit is one of the few other extant episodes for 1976! And at the beginning of the second episode is the March 1, 1976 win by Sue Dolleris who also recorded her appearance making it the earliest extant home recording of an ABC Pyramid.

The record-setting run by Billy Crystal in 1977 is a case where the episode was destroyed but the record run survives only because it was replayed in full at the beginning of a 1979 episode that still survived.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Jack P said:
And once again it is the earlier pre-1978 era of $20,000 Pyramid that has yielded more off-air recordings by contestants than ANY other "lost" game show of the 70s. This even includes a home recording of the second ever win in program history during the first week of the CBS $10,000 Pyramid from 1973.
Really? All I've seen was the WC loss from the first week. Link please?

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain

Speaking of Bob Stewart game shows, only two episodes of Winning Streak survive today. The 8/9/74 episode (because of the Nixon resignation), and the first few minutes of the 12/26/74 episode.

Regardless of what you may think of Winning Streak, it had an awesome theme song. It was by band Meatball on their Atomic Butterfly album, and the track was called "Saturday About Town". It was also stock news music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks