What's new

shows that have been destroyed (1 Viewer)

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
IntoIt said:
What about The Ed Sullivan Show (Formerly known as Toast of the Town)? Which episodes exist, other than, of course, all the Beatles' appearances.
Virtually the entire run of Ed Sullivan exists and has been well preserved. CBS considered the Sullivan show to be their "jewel in the crown", and were very diligent about archiving the kinescopes and 2" masters. The premiere episode is unfortunately gone.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
That's another thing I'd like to mention:

On The Beatles Anthology, there's a clip from a 1967 episode, with Sullivan introducing the group's Hello, Goodbye video. It was from a B&W kinescope. But at the same time, there is also another copy of this episode floating around among collectors, from its original color videotape form.

What's up with that?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
IntoIt said:
That's another thing I'd like to mention:

On The Beatles Anthology, there's a clip from a 1967 episode, with Sullivan introducing the group's Hello, Goodbye video. It was from a B&W kinescope. But at the same time, there is also another copy of this episode floating around among collectors, from its original color videotape form.

What's up with that?
Nothing more than a guess but I'd say that the show was recorded in color but it was broadcast in black and white.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
Very likely that a b/w kinescope were elements that were on hand and significantly easier (and less costly to license) than having Sullivan's production company transfer and supply the clip from their master archives. It's a little like Timeless Media's releases of Universal properties, where Timeless licenses the content, but has to round up their own elements.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Seanhtf said:
Actually, only two seasons of The Beulah Show were produced, each consisting of 39 episodes. Season one aired on ABC from October 3, 1950 through June 26, 1951. These episodes were repeated from July 3, 1951 through March 25, 1952. Season two aired from April 1, 1952 through December 23, 1952, and was repeated from December 30, 1952 through September 22, 1953. The Beulah Show starred Ethel Waters in its first season and was filmed in New York. Production shifted to California for season two, and the role of Beulah was recast with Hattie McDaniel. Illness forced her to withdraw after completing only six episodes and Louise Beavers took over the part. The move to California is also why the entire supporting cast changed with season two. Louise Beavers episodes ran from April 1, 1952 through July 15. The Hattie McDaniel episodes were aired from July 22 through August 26. The remaining Louise Beavers episodes ran from September 2 through December 23. The Beavers episodes were repeated from December 30, 1952 through August 11, 1953, with repeats of the Hattie McDaniel episodes finishing up the show's prime time run from August 18 through September 22. All of which is probably much more than anybody ever wanted to know about The Beulah Show. I can't help but think that nine long months of reruns can't have helped the show's ratings, especially in an era when people weren't that accustomed to them. Sean
You can't always rely on Wikipedia for accurate information.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
oldtvshowbuff said:
You can't always rely on Wikipedia for accurate information.
As far as "Beulah" goes: if you check various television and industry reference books, there are endless conflicts about true history of the show's broadcast history.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
LouA said:
Do any episodes of Truth Or Consequencs still exist? I've never seen any on home video.
As far as I know, all of the syndicated shows Ralph Edwards made exist. Its just that GSN could never come to terms with his estate (and even then, music clearances pretty much make any rerun of Name That Tune impossible).

I think only a smattering of NBC shows exist though.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
oldtvshowbuff said:
Now, who can release a complete series dvd collection of Beulah? Timeless?
You want the good news or the bad first? Okay, the good is that UCLA has a full run of the show. The bad is that 1) Timeless isn't really into comedies. I think they may have released one comedy. 2) UCLA charges a lot for access. More than anyone could ever recoup in sales for such a project. Cost prohibitive.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Neil Brock said:
You want the good news or the bad first? Okay, the good is that UCLA has a full run of the show. The bad is that 1) Timeless isn't really into comedies. I think they may have released one comedy. 2) UCLA charges a lot for access. More than anyone could ever recoup in sales for such a project. Cost prohibitive.
I think a lot of the Jack Benny release may have come from UCLA. Perhaps the involvement of Benny's estate made a difference?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
JoeDoakes said:
I think a lot of the Jack Benny release may have come from UCLA. Perhaps the involvement of Benny's estate made a difference?
Plus the fact that they were the donors of the material so it would be pretty hard for UCLA to hit them up for massive costs to access their own donated material.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Mark-P said:
Well of course the most famous, is that more that 100 Doctor Who episodes are lost forever because the BBC was in the practice of erasing videotapes for reuse. It never occurred to them that the shows had any historical value.
The video tapes may be lost, but at least we have audio recordings for all of the episodes and telesnaps for a great deal of them. While not a perfect solution, at least we have SOME record of all the early Doctor Whos.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Tony J Case said:
The video tapes may be lost, but at least we have audio recordings for all of the episodes and telesnaps for a great deal of them. While not a perfect solution, at least we have SOME record of all the early Doctor Whos.
Yes, there are many more TV shows in far worse state of affairs than Doctor Who. One of the show's contemporaries, Dixon of Dock Green, for example, has only 32 complete episodes existing out of 432 produced, which leaves more than 85% of them still missing.

There are 106 out of 701 Doctor Whos still missing, so about 85% of those episodes still exist, so it's pretty much exactly the opposite saved/destroyed ratio. However, there are many more rabid Doctor Who fans than Dixon ones.

Before anyone misunderstands, I like Doctor Who as much as anyone, it just burns my toast when a certain segment of Doctor Who fandom seems to think that only the recovery of Doctor Who episodes is important, and that anything else is useless/irrelevant.

A handful of black-and-white episodes of Till Death Us Do Part were recovered in recent years, but we're unlikely to ever see them on TV or DVD, while any recovered Doctor Who will be pretty much guaranteed of at least a DVD release.

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
I do agree Andy, nothing against Dr.Who but there was masses of other material destroyed of great interest.ITV also junked a huge amount of material, including hundreds of variety shows such as 'Sunday Night at the London Palladium' which featured top acts of the time from both the UK & US.There were also many dramas, one off plays ,comedies & series lost. Things such as 'Shadow Squad' 'Knight Errant' 'No Hiding Place' are almost non-existant. A whole era of TV lost.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Since the discussion has turned to British shows, what is the know fate of Top of the Pops from the 60s, early 70s? Also, what about Ready Steady Go?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Neil Brock said:
Since the discussion has turned to British shows, what is the know fate of Top of the Pops from the 60s, early 70s? Also, what about Ready Steady Go?
The 60s Pops are all gone save for a small smattering of episodes, the earliest being from 1967. The archives are fairly intact from about 1974 but there are some missing eps as late as 1977. Really if you're a long running British show and not titled Coronation Street, odds are you're missing episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks