JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I had an unpleasant reminder of why I stopped Photography as a profession, not to mention why I regretted it as a profession in the first place. Stupid, stupid, stupid. It sank in this time. I think.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I had an unpleasant reminder of why I stopped Photography as a profession, not to mention why I regretted it as a profession in the first place. Stupid, stupid, stupid. It sank in this time. I think.
Maybe elaborate more?
Are you going to get back into it in some way?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Yes, at the time TMAX was considered amazing quality for 3200 ISO (can't remember if I pushed it to 6400 or not). I started playing with Lightroom's de-noising, but decided against it, mostly on principle. I didn't see it making that much of a difference and the grain definitely has its charms.

Here's the article that got me started. http://petapixel.com/2012/05/18/how-to-scan-film-negatives-with-a-dslr/

For the negative holder, I just used a 6" x 32" piece of foamcore, scored it at the halfway point to hinge it, and then cut a 1.5 x 1.5 inch opening for the negative. The sheet is just held upright by a large bulldog clip. And turned off the lights when making the exposure.

The only new piece of gear was a 4-way macro rail, to facilitate focusing and left-right positioning.

tpbQImClSoa01Sm5Tb6TMINuQCpsVoJMBUM_sHnsZkitBeWtzmb1Y6DLXC6Rh_BS1Z3EuEvcOYKdLNne-N-wP-e4Eu2gc994-Uqlx9-xZIVHs0S5mJbcGukwu2mE0u6DxndVO_m1Rp8RZ25a4J8xmhqG9ucDAFaPU9N_8_AZfGTexn0OmVALwTjAuEJ3pZhdvigdxrPvB3__jWXDkpSwHre3Vw2NIlsLNWnHQ7ptHYzxItW1XZkIL9MCAQg1VBB_l6K-B6AwqisKfYB_ijNcJmBCzuWQgQfbQmR7cwGz0go8icfLdJ5WrkXFTdf02QY3JxYc6Hm4VrH_D_syGVZYhYqMGr5Hg2OG_GJH1YOydtcDln_tb1FeugACTTF_tKkWVmYUvqlS6kzZAtBX8-wOen-nsBL_c7ItTXqZoSFoaqM8S7TFwhzQVjDRWgVPQIhYfc7G4U49X_NAYbZ6zkb5lxWJjsdq69ZNU-E4lGSzRbgAjCgxYTJzi3xf8ScPbMkwr4LfVkww-0Zn2LMco8wi7r7QkKzdsnuvx7QR5RFT4pQLx0zIiwktbSh7vpTfj7TKjQ3vjeeShqYzc4EVW60eKwL7UxylO5k=w1280-h960-no
Amazing link, I don't have an external flash for my 70d, any suggestions for one that would work for this scanning setup and would be good for snapshots?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
There aren't many third party flash manufacturers, so you're pretty much looking at a Canon Speedlite. The 430 EX would probably suit your purposes.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Amazing link, I don't have an external flash for my 70d, any suggestions for one that would work for this scanning setup and would be good for snapshots?

Yongnuo makes some inexpensive external flashes for Canon, but I believe they only work with manual flash exposure. I've never tried them, but they get decent reviews for the price. If you want something that supports ETTL automatic flash exposure, then Canon is probably your best option, as Cameron suggested.

I have a Canon Speedlite 430EX II, which works well as a general purpose flash, and a Canon Speedlite 270 EX II, which is smaller and works well for travel. Canon makes a couple more expensive models -- the 580EX and 600, but I would suggest starting with something less expensive like the 430. It has a swivel head so you can bounce the flash, which you will want to do at times.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a couple Yongnuo flashes and they seem to be quite good. I'm pretty sure they have both manual and TTL ones, but you really don't want TTL for this. What you want to do is basically copy work, which is a controlled environment. There's no reason not to get a flash that has TTL, but for this use, you want one that is also capable of full manual level settings.

Let's say you have two perfectly exposed negatives, but one has a lot of white while the other had a lot of black. The correct exposure for those two negatives will be exactly the same, but TTL will try to interpret the need for a different exposure, because the negatives are so different. You'll want to adjust the exposure a bit from shot to shot based on how the film was exposed, but the camera won't do a good job of figuring that out for you. I've done a lot of this type of photography, and suggest you just bypass the camera & flash metering and go manual. It's so easy to double check the exposure with the histogram.

I think the big Yongnuo TTL flashes for Canon are around $120. You'll pay $600 for the same thing from Canon. I tested the maximum output of the two Yongnuo 560s I have vs my ($550) Nikon SB-910 and they were within 1/3 stop at maximum output. The 560 is strictly manual, but only $70.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
HERE's the E-TTL Yongnuo flash, that can also do full manual. At $100 is probably worth a look. The reviews are good.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I have a couple Yongnuo flashes and they seem to be quite good. I'm pretty sure they have both manual and TTL ones, but you really don't want TTL for this. What you want to do is basically copy work, which is a controlled environment. There's no reason not to get a flash that has TTL, but for this use, you want one that is also capable of full manual level settings.

Let's say you have two perfectly exposed negatives, but one has a lot of white while the other had a lot of black. The correct exposure for those two negatives will be exactly the same, but TTL will try to interpret the need for a different exposure, because the negatives are so different. You'll want to adjust the exposure a bit from shot to shot based on how the film was exposed, but the camera won't do a good job of figuring that out for you. I've done a lot of this type of photography, and suggest you just bypass the camera & flash metering and go manual. It's so easy to double check the exposure with the histogram.

I think the big Yongnuo TTL flashes for Canon are around $120. You'll pay $600 for the same thing from Canon. I tested the maximum output of the two Yongnuo 560s I have vs my ($550) Nikon SB-910 and they were within 1/3 stop at maximum output. The 560 is strictly manual, but only $70.
Thanks! I was looking at the youngnuo manuals yesterday as I had figured manual would be better for negative "scanning" (really this reminds me of making color slides from books in the old university art library rather than scanning) but wasn't sure how a manual flash would work in snapshot and family photo scenarios. A youngnuo ttl is even better, I imagine. I've got a Lynda course on flash fundamentals rolling as well as it seems like a good refresher as the university photo courses was quite a long time ago now.

The hardest part about going from my manual focus film slr to a dslr a few years ago was no longer having a split prism screen to manually focus with.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The hardest part about going from my manual focus film slr to a dslr a few years ago was no longer having a split prism screen to manually focus with.

The Live View feature of your 70D will work very well for manually focusing macro work -- even better than that split prism screen from your film SLR.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yongnuo makes some inexpensive external flashes for Canon, but I believe they only work with manual flash exposure. I've never tried them, but they get decent reviews for the price. If you want something that supports ETTL automatic flash exposure, then Canon is probably your best option, as Cameron suggested.

I have a Canon Speedlite 430EX II, which works well as a general purpose flash, and a Canon Speedlite 270 EX II, which is smaller and works well for travel. Canon makes a couple more expensive models -- the 580EX and 600, but I would suggest starting with something less expensive like the 430. It has a swivel head so you can bounce the flash, which you will want to do at times.
Thanks for the reminder about Yongnuo. I was aware of their manual strobes, but didn't know they had ETTL models, which he would definitely want if he also wants to do snapshots.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks