What's new

show boat ?? (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
A long time ago there was some discussion of a release for this title....which gossip said would include the b/w James Whale version of the movie. Where might the release of this title on Blu or even DVD be at the present time? Thanks for the info.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Seems like someone asked this on Facebook and Warners answered that they were still working on them and nothing was in the offing.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
A SHOWBOAT Box Set has been discussed, rumored, announced, and pretty much everything except released for quite a few years now. The general consensus is that it should contain all three film versions, plus the Lena Horne as Julie segment from TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY. Other possible additions include the Papermill Playhouse version that was broadcast once on PBS, and the documentary THE SHOWBOAT STORY which was shown after. Chances are slim-to- none on the Papermill version ... PBS generally gets the rights for one showing only. Keep your fingers crossed ... this whole fershluggerin' thing should show up any, um, decade now ...

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I wonder if there's any filmed record of past revivals...I saw it live in the 90s with Ned Beatty and Cloris Leachman. That was a great production, and should have been taped for prosperity. Not sure if it was, but it should have been, certainly. Would love to see it again.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I would like a DVD (or *love* a Blu-ray) of the James Whale version.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
My favorite musical and my favorite James Whale film. Inspired partly by Life On the Mississippi by Mark Twain.
Showboat1929-Universal-one.jpg
Showboat1929-Univeral-oneB.jpg
Showboat36-Universal-oneB.jpg
Showboat36-Universal-oneA.jpg
I wonder what the hold-up is. Maybe they are just not very interested in SHOWBOAT.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Dear Ethan, You asked about whether any stage productions of SHOWBOAT were taped. Apart from the Paper Mill Playhouse version, which I mentioned, and which played ONCE on PBS, I can only think of two others. Starting sometime in the mid 70s, I believe it was, Lincoln Center started taping pretty much every Broadway show for reference. These are very bare-bones recordings ... usually one camera shooting the entire stage from the rear of the theater. Also, they can only be watched AT Lincoln Center. So they would have the Hal Prince/Susan Strohman version from about fifteen years ago, and another version starring (as I recall) Donald O'Connor as Capn Andy from sometime in the 80s. I'm pulling these dates out of my often faulty memory, so you might want to Google SHOWBOAT BROADWAY for specifics. Anyway, check out Lincoln Center the next time you're in NYC ...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by PODER

Dear Ethan,
You asked about whether any stage productions of SHOWBOAT were taped. Apart from the Paper Mill Playhouse version, which I mentioned, and
which played ONCE on PBS, I can only think of two others. Starting sometime in the mid 70s, I believe it was, Lincoln Center started taping pretty much
every Broadway show for reference. These are very bare-bones recordings ... usually one camera shooting the entire stage from the rear of the theater.
Also, they can only be watched AT Lincoln Center. So they would have the Hal Prince/Susan Strohman version from about fifteen years ago, and
another version starring (as I recall) Donald O'Connor as Capn Andy from sometime in the 80s. I'm pulling these dates out of my often faulty memory,
so you might want to Google SHOWBOAT BROADWAY for specifics. Anyway, check out Lincoln Center the next time you're in NYC ...

It's my understanding that not just anyone can go watch those recorded shows at the Lincoln Center library. One must have the proper credentials as a theater professional doing research for a specific project and have that authorization in hand before any viewing of a show will be scheduled.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks