What's new

Shout! Factory's April Fool's Day Joke and Guiding Light (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by Regulus

Nobody cares about network tv anymore. Everybody's watching cable fare like Dexter. Those are the shows that are doing well nowadays. Everything on the big networks is just because cheaper and more throwaway. I believe your comment, and I think if they don't shape things up, that within five years they'll be showing nothing but cheap reality (bites) shows and news programs in primetime, while Showtime, HBO and the like get all the really good scripted shows.

I think it goes a little deeper--I think it's just consumer dissatisfaction with commercial television in general. If they're watching television at all, they're opting for the meatier fare they get from those pay channels. People have been exposed to quality if they've been following things like the Sopranos, and such shows make their network counterparts seem weak in comparison. The main networks can't come up with anything good except for the same crime drama sequels of shows that weren't even that great to begin with. Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior, anyone? I didn't think so. And soon people will stop watching even those, because there's better crime programs on cable (apparently, "Southland" was just too damn good for NBC, but it's thriving on TNT). Ditto that to "Friday Night Lights." These shows were too compelling and involved for the regular networks but proved themselves elsewhere. In fact, I guarantee you that any show from now on that's too interesting is going to end up on cable lol. All the trite ones will continue on CBS or wherever, but all the good ones will be found on cable. It's a weird process, but I see it happening more and more each year.

Back to topic--I wouldn't be surprised if someday the cable networks try their hand at daytime-type soaps. Well, DirecTV had NBC's cast-off "Passions" and it didn't do too well, (but they also didn't give it much of a chance if you ask me). Anyway I think if someone comes up with a nice limited run kind of show for daytime, it might do okay. Maybe a show that's only intended to last for one year, rather than 50. But who knows--I know that someone, somewhere still would like to follow a soap opera on a daily basis. It's time to try something new to serve that audience.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
People I talk to AREN'T very happy about Cable or the "Pay/Premium" Channels either. On that end Prices keep going UP and the Quality of the Product continues to decline as well. It's only a matter of time before it all caves in!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Many years ago programmes shown on UK terrestrial TV would get up to 20 million viewers regularly (maybe even more than that back in the 70's and 80's (don't know about before the 70's). But now, for a scripted drama to get more than 8-9 million, is pretty good. Of the shows I record in a week the majority of them are on satellite (terrestrial channels are available on satellite as well), and a lot of those are I think some of the best TV I have seen in recent years. But I also like to watch TV where you don't have to think too much (however I hardly watch any reality TV).

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by Regulus

People I talk to are very happy about Cable or the "Pay/Premium" Channels either. On that end Prices keep going UP and the Quality of the Product continues to decline as well. It's only a matter of time before it all caves in!

Eh, come on! I don't agree with you that the cable shows are declining in quality. They may be declining in taste, but not quality! Do yourself a favor--go seek out dvds of "United States of Tara." I think you'd like that one.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by WaveCrest

Many years ago programmes shown on UK terrestrial TV would get up to 20 million viewers regularly (maybe even more than that back in the 70's and 80's (don't know about before the 70's). But now, for a scripted drama to get more than 8-9 million, is pretty good. Of the shows I record in a week the majority of them are on satellite (terrestrial channels are available on satellite as well), and a lot of those are I think some of the best TV I have seen in recent years. But I also like to watch TV where you don't have to think too much (however I hardly watch any reality TV).

If I recall my Doctor Who history correctly, ratings of 7.0 were near the bottom of the top 100, and bad enough to get the show put on hiatus and almost canceled in 1985. Well, that and a BBC controller with a hard-on against the show.

Now, ratings in the 7s give the Doctor the highest rated show on Saturdays, and a comfortable spot in the top 25 overall.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Interesting discussion guys- Would be interested to see what a soap on cable would be like... It doesn't make a lot of sense to broadcast old soaps- The styles and look would really date them for people- Still think there is a niche in the DVD market- Not a complete series set, but some kind of release would be a boon to those of us who miss shows from "the good old days".

I can continue to dream!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by Jack Cleveland

Interesting discussion guys- Would be interested to see what a soap on cable would be like... It doesn't make a lot of sense to broadcast old soaps- The styles and look would really date them for people- Still think there is a niche in the DVD market- Not a complete series set, but some kind of release would be a boon to those of us who miss shows from "the good old days".

I can continue to dream!

I never understood why SoapNet didn't air reruns of General Hospital circa the Luke & Laura days. I know plenty of people who'd love to see them again, and SN could have put them on late at night or something--cheap programming and much more fun than simply rerunning the last week's worth of shows over and over. But of course, they probably didn't want people to notice how much better the old shows were than the current shows--

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

I never understood why SoapNet didn't air reruns of General Hospital circa the Luke & Laura days. I know plenty of people who'd love to see them again, and SN could have put them on late at night or something--cheap programming and much more fun than simply rerunning the last week's worth of shows over and over. But of course, they probably didn't want people to notice how much better the old shows were than the current shows--

Ah, GSN syndrome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks