What's new

Shout! Factory's 2011 DVD Line-Up (Tentative) (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Jeffrey:K said:

Are you at liberty to tell us which song is the problem?

Cliff likely cannot discuss the matter since it would be impolitical, and he is likely trying to solve it quietly behind the scenes. That being said, I spent a ridiculous amount of time tracing the songs and songwriters behind the soundtrack - because music licensing is not just about who performs the song but who wrote it as well - and managed to narrow down the possibilities.The song in question could be"A Friend" - since Jerry Reed shares songwriting credit with Don Williams;"I Washed My Hands in Muddy Water" - written by Stonewall Jackson;"Blues Stay Away from Me" - written by the Delmore Brothers;"My Bucket's Got a Hole in It" - written by Clarence Williams (not the "MOD SQUAD" star, so you know)"The Losing End" - I cannot for the life of me find a songwriter credit for this one, but it's performed by Mel Tillis and Jerry in the film, so perhaps that's a factor.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
classicmovieguy said:
Does Shout Factory have the rights to Vincente Minnelli's "A Matter of Time", starring Liza Minnelli and Ingrid Bergman?
No, that is owned by MGM through the Orion buyout. Maybe it will appear MOD.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck /t/305588/shout-factory-s-2011-dvd-line-up-tentative/720#post_3845048
Cliff likely cannot discuss the matter since it would be impolitical, and he is likely trying to solve it quietly behind the scenes.
That being said, I spent a ridiculous amount of time tracing the songs and songwriters behind the soundtrack - because music licensing is not just about who performs the song but who wrote it as well - and managed to narrow down the possibilities.
The song in question could be
"A Friend" - since Jerry Reed shares songwriting credit with Don Williams;
"I Washed My Hands in Muddy Water" - written by Stonewall Jackson;
"Blues Stay Away from Me" - written by the Delmore Brothers;
"My Bucket's Got a Hole in It" - written by Clarence Williams (not the "MOD SQUAD" star, so you know)
"The Losing End" - I cannot for the life of me find a songwriter credit for this one, but it's performed by Mel Tillis and Jerry in the film, so perhaps that's a factor.
Great post, Marc. I had googled the soundtrack info and realized it was not going to be an easy task to get this.

Given Cliff's comment about the artist being notorious for not allowing their music to be used seems to rule out Jerry Reed since (a) he's deceased and Cliff refers to said artist in present tense and (b) Jerry's music is intact on the Smokey/Bandit DVDs.

Don Williams and Mel Tillis both have numerous country hits but both have appeared sporadically on various soundtracks. Don was on Smokey #2 and didn't Mel sing Coca Cola Cowboy in one of Clint's movies? The Delmores are deceased as is Clarence Williams. Stonewall jackson is a classic country performer and I'm not aware of many movies using his songs.

the mystery deepens....

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Special features only has Radio Spot, TV Spots and Photo Gallery
there's 4 TV spots using the hospital windows turning into the skull. It's such a great ad campaign

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thanks for clearing that up Joe.

Can't wait to see these TV spots for Visiting Hours.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by WaveCrest /t/305588/shout-factory-s-2011-dvd-line-up-tentative/720#post_3846734
DVD Talk review of Airwolf: The Movie:

Airwolf: The Movie - DVD Talk review
Our review will be up in the next few days. Just a heads up that they are having a free shipping sale this weekend:

NEWS FLASH… NEWS FLASH… NEWS FLASH
Attention Loyal Fans, Pop Culture Enthusiasts and Collectors…
LABOR DAY WEEKEND DEALS!

FREE SHIPPING ON THOUSANDS OF ITEMS
ALL LABOR DAY WEEKEND
AT SHOUT! FACTORY’S OFFICIAL ONLINE STORE SHOUTFACTORYSTORE.COM

The fine print: To be eligible for free shipping, your cart must contain $20.00 or greater (before tax) for orders shipping within the United States or $50.00 or greater (before tax) for orders shipping to Canada. Cart cannot include any releases available as preorders for offer to apply. This offer applies to standard shipping only. Offer only valid at ShoutFactory.com and ShoutFactoryStore.com Friday 9/2/11 12:00pm PST through Tuesday 9/6/1112:00pm PST. Normal return policy applies.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
LETHAL LADIES, Vol 1 pre-order link added. STREETS/ANGEL IN RED (Doutble Feature) will be a Shout Factory Exclusive.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by SWFF /t/305588/shout-factory-s-2011-dvd-line-up-tentative/720#post_3846771
STREETS/ANGEL IN RED (Doutble Feature) will be a Shout Factory Exclusive.
First posted about in this thread by Cliff in post #715 on page 24 of this thread.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Ah, that's where I heard it? I'm on so many message boards, and talk to Cliff on facebook, sometimes I forget where I hear a piece of information.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Mark Edward Heuck said:
"The Losing End" - I cannot for the life of me find a songwriter credit for this one, but it's performed by Mel Tillis and Jerry in the film, so perhaps that's a factor.
Ken Bloom's book Hollywood Song credits The Losin' End (note the apostrophe - that might be why you had difficulty) to Ken McDuffie, both words and music.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by SWFF /t/305588/shout-factory-s-2011-dvd-line-up-tentative/720#post_3846807
Ah, that's where I heard it? I'm on so many message boards, and talk to Cliff on facebook, sometimes I forget where I hear a piece of information.
It may be where you heard it, it may not be where you heard it.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Pre-order link added to opening post for STREETS/ANGEL IN RED (DOUBLE FEATURE).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Cliff, will Streets and Angel in Red be on two separate discs in the DVD case, like with Bad Dreams and Visiting Hours?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
99 and 44/100% Dead / The Nickel Ride has been pushed back three weeks to Tuesday December 13th (source: Amazon.com).

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
And with that Shout! says good-bye to another year of incredible releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks