What's new

Shout! Factory TV Shows Thread (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
How many shows have they released thus far under this format, Benson (S2), Bridget loves Bernie & Charlies Angels S5 are the only ones I am aware of?! 
"Ghost Story/Circle Of Fear" and "Born Free" were also released by Sony in this format.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
It's looking very unlikely now that Shout will continue Police Story and Police Woman as normal Shout titles, unless they release them as Shout! Select titles. Just hoping Sony might release these two titles as MOD releases, if Shout have no plans to release any more seasons.

And keeping fingers crossed that Shout will finish Simon & Simon next year, with the eighth season released as a Shout! Select title (the reunion TV film "In Trouble Again" was included as a bonus feature in the Shout! Select release of the fifth season). Although what is left to be released after that, is a 90-minute Making Of docmentary and some "lost" episodes.

Wvdvdguy

Agent
Real Name
Jon
I really really love "Police Story" so I hope more gets released. It was a show that i'd never seen before but really got into. "Police Woman" is great too!

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
One way or the other, I hope the Sony catalog gets a move on with DVD releases. So many great classic TV titles still to do or continue with, at this point I'll take them as MODs too if that is indeed what is coming. If Warner can do it successfully so can they, some Sony titles are already being distributed via Warner's site.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I recently received my Bridget Loves Bernie set (as a blind-buy) and while the series itself isn't the greatest, the restoration is perfect for such an obsure show. I hope Sony brings out some more 60s-80s shows this way, because otherwise we won't see them. I still have doubts about the ones with music issues like Maude, One Day, Facts and The Nanny--too bad, because those are the ones I want the most. Perhaps they will release some more Mary Hartman though.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I have a feeling that the reason BLB was remastered was that Sony had prepped it for an announced release years ago, at the same time as Family came out. For whatever reason they withdrew it but I'm sure all of the remastering had already been done. That doesn't mean that they would be willing to put in all of that work on shows which have never been mastered to tape previously.

gordoncolt

Agent
Real Name
gordon
I remember at one time on the forum there was a Shout Rep posting who had insight on future releases.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Some Shout! Factory TV titles being released between January and April (source: Amazon.com and for the titles listed below being released between February and April, titles and release dates subject to change):

January 2013:
Simon & Simon: The Final Season (aka Season Eight) - released last Tuesday (15th January) *Shout! Select title*
February 2013:

The Hardy Boys: Season Three - Tuesday 12th February

March 2013:

Law & Order: Criminal Intent: The Final Year (the 2010 season) - Tuesday 12th March
Mystery Science Theater 3000: XXVI - Tuesday 26th March
Quincy, M.E.: Season Five - Tuesday 19th March
April 2013:
Route 66: The Complete Fourth Season - Tuesday 2nd April
and some of the forthcoming Timeless Media Group/Shout! Factory titles (source: Amazon.com. Studio listed as "Shout! Factory/Timeless Media" on each title's Amazon.com listing page, and titles and their release dates are subject to change):
February 2013:
The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams: Season Two - Tuesday 19th February
The Virginian: The Complete Season Seven (Collectable Embossed Tin) - Tuesday 5th February
West Point: The Television Series - Tuesday 26th February
March 2013:
Lee Marvin Presents Lawbreaker: The Complete Television Series - Tuesday 26th March
Peter Gunn: Season One - Tuesday 5th March
Wagon Train: The Complete Season Six (Embossed Collectable Tin) - Tuesday 5th March
April 2013:
A Haunting: Season 5 - Tuesday 23rd April
The Restless Gun: The Complete Series - Tuesday 23rd April
Stoney Burke: The Complete Series - Tuesday 16th April
Tombstone Territory: Season One - Tuesday 2nd April.
Some of the discussion threads in the TV on DVD and Blu-ray folder about Timeless Media's titles:
Timeless Media Group - New Releases
Timeless New Acquisitions!
and the Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? thread.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I'm already planning on Season Two of Grizzly Adams. I thought perhaps it could have been restored and/or better sources used, but it's still better than not having it at all!!!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Like Charles Ellis on another thread I lobby for a complete series release of Peyton Place. Give it to us bare bones with no bonus features and at a rate that the average fan can buy. Why should those who sell boot episodes from the Romance Channel get the money. I should think that Fox might be willing to release the show as they have others.

I just ask that the those who secure the rights to Fox series for Shout take another look at Peyton Place. 50th anniversary limited edition sold from the Shout Select Program might be the route to go.

http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews/shows/peyton-place

I also wonder on how Shout is doing on their stalled series list?

Such as R222 Paper Chase etc

Here is the Shout thread for PP if anyone from Shout is interested

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/278325-my-dream-came-true-peyton-place-on-dvd-this-may-from-shout-entertainment/page-31#entry3885573

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
Looks like WB's success with their Archive program has caught Sony's attention and they want a piece of the action as well. If they do indeed move to MOD then Shout! has a problem as many of the TV series they have released have come from Sony. I would think that current releases (Diff'rent Strokes & Fantasy Island) won't be affected by the shift to MOD, it would be dumb if Sony all of sudden decided to stop sub-licensing these to Shout! especially if they are selling well. How many shows have they released thus far under this format, Benson (S2), Bridget loves Bernie & Charlies Angels S5 are the only ones I am aware of?! I wonder if they will release the final season of My Two Dads & Parker Lewis Can't Lose or the final two seasons of Mad About You- three shows Shout! Factory abandoned?! Perhaps some of the following stalled shows might see MOD releases: Archie Bunker's Place, Facts of Life, Hart to Hart, The Jeffersons, Just Shoot Me!, The Nanny, The Flying Nun, Maude, One Day at a Time, Party of Five, Sliver Spoons, TJ Hooker and Who's the Boss?
Thanks to the Sony/Mill Creek Entertainment partnership deal, all these shows WILL be out of Sony's valut coffins and released to DVD, mark my words. Either this or Sony's Choice On Demand collection.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
How many series did Shout screw up the season 1 release of by including subpar copies of edited episodes, only to correct their "mistake" with a season 2 release featuring uncut shows with better picture quality? It seems to be a pattern for them. From my count, I include

Route 66
Rhoda
Mr. Ed
Father Knows Best

It would be nice if Shout went back and re-did these Season 1 sets, if even as MOD.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
jdee28 said:
How many series did Shout screw up the season 1 release of by including subpar copies of edited episodes, only to correct their "mistake" with a season 2 release featuring uncut shows with better picture quality? It seems to be a pattern for them. From my count, I include

Route 66
Rhoda
Mr. Ed
Father Knows Best

It would be nice if Shout went back and re-did these Season 1 sets, if even as MOD.
Don't know about Rhoda or Mister Ed, but Route 66 was basically the same source as used in the previous release. They were what they were and nothing was going to change that, and for FKB wasn't that a situation where Sony made available the later seasons after season 1 was released and not before. If so, for those two series at least, it wasn't an issue of Shout! making a mistake but just using what they had.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
IntoIt said:
Several of the S1 episodes of Mister Ed that were cut on the DVD are uncut on Hulu.
That still doesn't explain the dynamics behind the scenes. To say they mistakenly or purposely used cut episodes in season 1 would seem to imply they had access to more than one set and used the wrong one's. Who was the source for the Shout! prints? Is it different than the source for the Hulu prints? Could the mistake have happen on the source end and not by Shout!? Could things have changed related to what the source is providing between the time Shout! had access and what Hulu is presenting?

Too much is not disclosed about what happens behind the scene's to make a clear determination of who is at fault. I have no problem blaming Shout! if they indeed made the mistake. However, I choose not to throw blame unless I can back it up with facts. And in many of these cases there just aren't enough facts available.

D

dora.slate

smithbrad said:
That still doesn't explain the dynamics behind the scenes. To say they mistakenly or purposely used cut episodes in season 1 would seem to imply they had access to more than one set and used the wrong one's. Who was the source for the Shout! prints? Is it different than the source for the Hulu prints? Could the mistake have happen on the source end and not by Shout!? Could things have changed related to what the source is providing between the time Shout! had access and what Hulu is presenting?

Too much is not disclosed about what happens behind the scene's to make a clear determination of who is at fault. I have no problem blaming Shout! if they indeed made the mistake. However, I choose not to throw blame unless I can back it up with facts. And in many of these cases there just aren't enough facts available.
they were too cheap to get the correct masters, there cheapness is same reason we had to suffer with 30 year old masters for Dennis The Menace + SHOUT REALLY CHEAPED OUT when they used VIDEO TAPE MASTERS FOR HAZEL SEASON 2 3 4 5 instead of the readily available film elements

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
dora.slate said:
they were too cheap to get the correct masters, there cheapness is same reason we had to suffer with 30 year old masters for Dennis The Menace + SHOUT REALLY CHEAPED OUT when they used VIDEO TAPE MASTERS FOR HAZEL SEASON 2 3 4 5 instead of the readily available film elements
Same old...same old stuff under another new alias. Nothing new. Your rants would be much more effective if you actually provided some facts to back up your claims (not on what they used but why they used them). So exactly what deals did they have in place? what prints were made available under those deals? What was the cost to get the film elements? What was the ROI to use better elements?

You constantly makes claim of being cheap, but offer no information about what the costs were and how these would be offset by sales, which is necessary to be able to call someone cheap. My guess is that if you were in this business you would either be cheap as well, or out of business. Just watched Dennis with the kids, they don't look bad to me. Take care. :)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
5 years is a very long time.

Shout Factory release Peyton Place on it's 50th anniversary. Please do not give up on the last two volumes you put out. Complete the series for all fans. Give us that limited 50th anniversary edition of the complete series.

Here is what Brian stated about the status of the series 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, there is some less than positive news about the future of this series on DVD, although it is nothing definitive. Shout! Factory has exhausted the episodes that they had licensed from 20th Century Fox, and have to work on getting the rights for more episodes. According to Brian Ward, who posted on the Shout! Factory message boards, Shout! Factory is eager and willing to put out more episodes as the series did very well by their standards, but 20th Century Fox is reluctant to release more episodes due to sales that don't meet the standards of Fox (keep in mind, this is a company that uses series such as Family Guy as a benchmark). Hopefully, though, this situation will work out for the best and we'll see more of the "continuing story of Peyton Place."

http://blog.sitcomso...l#ixzz2wF2PzjvR

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks