What's new

Shout! Factory TV Shows Thread (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Jack P said:
Season 2 remember was only available as a Select titile.
Yeah, having season 2 as a select title didn't help sales any either. I do feel that having season 2 as a select title was a direct result of the poor response to season 1. Word about the poor quality of season 1 got out in plenty of time for people to cancel their pre-orders in droves. Again, if Shout had simply stated from the get go the truth about the picture quality, then perhaps more folks would have given the set a chance and maybe, just maybe, the second season wouldn't have been demoted to a select title. Thus, leaving the third season as a select title. I'd be much more happy if the series had at least passed the halfway point before stalling.
At this point the only way we'll ever get the rest of this series is if it is released as a complete series set via Fox or someone else. Shout has given up on it.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Updated post #216 of this thread with a new December title, the ninth season of Law & Order: Criminal Intent, which has a release date of Tuesday 11th December (source: Amazon.com and the TVShowsOnDVD news article not long posted on TVShowsOnDVD's website).

Executive

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Margulis
Where is KOJAK Season 5 ?? It was supposed to be in stores here in San Diego 12 days ago. Fry's Electronics told me their
distributor is missing that and a number of other titles. Best Buy doesn't have it either,
Shout Factory is up in Los Angeles. It would be an under 2 hour drive to get it here. :rolleyes:
Maybe I could order KOJAK from Amazon.com or eBay , but I haven't tried yet. Has anyone gotten the 5th Season disc set yet?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I got it from Amazon. It arrived last Saturday without any delivery problems. If the stores don't have it, you shouldn't have a problem ordering it.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I really hope Shout! will rerelease Season One of Here Come the Brides, or a complete series set. I held off on S1 because I didn't think S2 would ever be released, but when it finally is, S1 goes out of print & price skyrockets. The people @ Shout! had to be irritated about that one.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hasslein said:
I really hope Shout! will rerelease Season One of Here Come the Brides, or a complete series set. I held off on S1 because I didn't think S2 would ever be released, but when it finally is, S1 goes out of print & price skyrockets. The people @ Shout! had to be irritated about that one.
http://www.amazon.com/Kojak-Season-Five-Telly-Savalas/dp/B0089BSNQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348385218&sr=8-1&keywords=kojack+season+5
Amazon.com has the set and you may be better off buying from them . e-Retailers seem to be direction to getting dvd as many brick and mortar retailers have scaled back their dvd releases.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Updated post #216 of this thread with a new Shout title for October, Simon & Simon: Season Seven, which has a release date of Tuesday 16th October. Note, that this is not the first season of Simon & Simon to be released as a Shout! Select title, but the third season (the fifth and sixth seasons were Shout! Select titles also).

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
So glad for all the fun titles that have come from Shout! this year. Kojak, Simon & Simon, Hazel, and now Quincy. All things being equal they've been a great source for classic TV and I hope they are able to keep it up in 2013.

Executive

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Margulis
Ordered KOJAK - Season 5 a few days ago from eBay. That will complete my collection of the Telly Savalas versions
of both of the first 2 series ( the second series being the 5 ABC Mystery Movie two hour episodes).
The Ving Rhames version in 2005 was an unfunny joke that never should have seen the light of day....

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Some Shout! Factory TV titles (not including the Shout! Factory/Timeless Media titles) being released in February and March next year (source: Amazon.com):

February 2013:

The Hardy Boys: Season Three - Tuesday 12th February

March 2013:

Law & Order: Criminal Intent: The Final Year (the 2010 season) - Tuesday 12th March
Mystery Science Theater 3000: XXVI - Tuesday 26th March
Quincy, M.E.: Season Five - Tuesday 19th March.

gordoncolt

Agent
Real Name
gordon
I want to thank Shout for finishing S.W.A.T, Hardy Boys,Kojak. Also,for continuing Police Woman and Quincy M.E. and Grizzly Adams.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I wish they would license the complete second season of Amazing Stories from Universal so that series could finally be completed on DVD.
Darby

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Brian Himes said:
I wonder if there might be any hope that Shout would pick up the LONG stalled Baretta. I'd love to get the last three seasons.
Second that. Surprised that neither Timeless, with all of their Universal series released nor Shout has shown any interest in it. Has the show become toxic since Robert Blake's legal troubles? The man was acquited you know.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Brian Himes said:
Yeah, having season 2 as a select title didn't help sales any either. I do feel that having season 2 as a select title was a direct result of the poor response to season 1. Word about the poor quality of season 1 got out in plenty of time for people to cancel their pre-orders in droves. Again, if Shout had simply stated from the get go the truth about the picture quality, then perhaps more folks would have given the set a chance and maybe, just maybe, the second season wouldn't have been demoted to a select title. Thus, leaving the third season as a select title. I'd be much more happy if the series had at least passed the halfway point before stalling.
At this point the only way we'll ever get the rest of this series is if it is released as a complete series set via Fox or someone else. Shout has given up on it.
Well, for anyone who ever watched TV in the 70s and 80s, that's the way almost every show looked on the air in syndication. 16mm prints, whose color faded over time. It was only starting around the mid-80s that syndicators began going back to the original elements and remastering and color correcting shows. That is, syndicators that cared about their back catalogue. Fox was really the only company that didn't do it. Which shows that they sucked even back then. But it had to be shows that the syndicators deemed to have some kind of sale value and unfortunately, not too many Fox shows besides Batman fall into that category.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
By the way, the word that I've heard on the Shout/Sony situation is that now that Sony has their burn on demand program up and running, they have lost interest in licensing shows out and feel that it may be better for them to put their shows out themselves. How long before they realize that they suck at it, we'll have to wait and find out.

Real Name
Gerald
Neil Brock said:
By the way, the word that I've heard on the Shout/Sony situation is that now that Sony has their burn on demand program up and running, they have lost interest in licensing shows out and feel that it may be better for them to put their shows out themselves. How long before they realize that they suck at it, we'll have to wait and find out.
Source? I really hope you're wrong because there's still left 4 seasons of Fantasy Island.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Neil Brock /t/308539/shout-factory-tv-shows-thread/240#post_4013771
I hope that's not true either or it could become more difficult for them to produce sets like the Steve Martin TV Years and The Incredible Mel Brooks. Those two sets alone should have Shout nominated for greatest company ever.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Originally Posted by Neil Brock /t/308539/shout-factory-tv-shows-thread/240#post_4013771

Looks like WB's success with their Archive program has caught Sony's attention and they want a piece of the action as well. If they do indeed move to MOD then Shout! has a problem as many of the TV series they have released have come from Sony. I would think that current releases (Diff'rent Strokes & Fantasy Island) won't be affected by the shift to MOD, it would be dumb if Sony all of sudden decided to stop sub-licensing these to Shout! especially if they are selling well.

How many shows have they released thus far under this format, Benson (S2), Bridget loves Bernie & Charlies Angels S5 are the only ones I am aware of?! I wonder if they will release the final season of My Two Dads & Parker Lewis Can't Lose or the final two seasons of Mad About You- three shows Shout! Factory abandoned?!

Perhaps some of the following stalled shows might see MOD releases: Archie Bunker's Place, Facts of Life, Hart to Hart, The Jeffersons, Just Shoot Me!, The Nanny, The Flying Nun, Maude, One Day at a Time, Party of Five, Sliver Spoons, TJ Hooker and Who's the Boss?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Neil Brock said:
Well, for anyone who ever watched TV in the 70s and 80s, that's the way almost every show looked on the air in syndication. 16mm prints, whose color faded over time. It was only starting around the mid-80s that syndicators began going back to the original elements and remastering and color correcting shows. That is, syndicators that cared about their back catalogue. Fox was really the only company that didn't do it. Which shows that they sucked even back then. But it had to be shows that the syndicators deemed to have some kind of sale value and unfortunately, not too many Fox shows besides Batman fall into that category.
But let's not forget it was the same time they started EDITING the shows for more commercials. So we got nice looking shows, but now edited to 22:30 and 45:00 minutes from 25:00 and 49:00-51:00.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks