What's new

Shout Factory to Release Fridays (1 Viewer)

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Just watched the (6/27/1980) episode last night and noticed something weird. When they went to the cast "goodnights", they were still dressed as the characters from the "tooth fairy" sketch which was earlier in the show (right before Friday Edition). It makes me wonder if the sketch was edited to earlier in the show from when it originally aired. As for the episode itself, Roarke's Reagan impression wasn't nearly as great as I'd remembered. He had the look and the mannerisms down, but the voice was a little off. Maybe it got better as the series went along, but I think Rich Little had the voice down much better. Another thing I've noticed is that whenever there is ANY mention of drugs, the audience goes wild...they even hooted when Michael Richards mentioned about something "going to pot"!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^I've seen the same in other episodes. It's possible segments were taped and just dropped in (especially the "Friday Edition" segments). This was late night and you were supposed to be somewhat wiped out (i.e. stoned) and not notice such errors in continuity.

The drug reactions are a sign of the times. Recreational use of marijuana had become somewhat "mainstream" for the 18-30 age group at this point. Such reactions were typical, and somewhat expected, for programs aimed at that group.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Oh yeah, I get the audience hooting at the drug references. It just seems a little over the top, even for the times.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm sure the audience was encouraged to amp it up for the broadcasts. After all, the producers *wanted* Fridays to be edgy and over-the-top. What better way to make it seem so to home audiences than to pump up the studio audience as much as possible.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
In the actor's roundtable extra they talk about the fact they wanted to be more open about being a drug-hip show even to the point where announcer Jack Burns would appear with 'white powder' around his nose (which was actually baking soda). This, of course, was a couple years before John Belushi would die of cocaine, but while SNL was already notorious for the performers use of cocaine (read the uncensored account "Live from New York" by Tom Shales). Not naming names but I was at a Hollywood party two weeks after Belushi died and a SNL castmate of his was still snorting huge clumps of the stuff off his thumb. At the time, performers thought it enhanced their performance, but they all later realized it just made you delusional about how funny (or not) you actually were.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
BobO'Link said:
I watched the first 2 disks worth last night and this morning. In spite of religiously watching the program every Friday night during the original airings I don't remember most of the sketches I've seen so far. While I'm really enjoying rediscovering the show and *most* of the sketches I'm sad to report several episodes appear to be edited with sketches removed.

Here are the run times of those first 8 episodes.

44:46 (Appears intact)
When the show started, the timeslot was 70 minutes. So I wonder...

On the plus side I've seen quite a few very funny sketches with the political ones being among the best. I vividly recall the Carter/Regan election as it truly felt as if there was no good choice. The sketch about the 2 faced collectible coin you would use in the voting booth echoed the feelings of many people... Heads you lose, or Heads you lose. They had the absolutely *best* impersonators for Carter and Regan (as well as Woody Allen). The Marx Brothers sketch was simply wonderful and had all the spirit of the original films with spot on impersonations of the Brothers. Stuff like that was simply amazing for a late night sketch comedy program.
It's weird for me, I remember a lot of the political references but at 12 years old, I really didn't pay much attention. But watching these again now, that stuff REALLY wears thin for me REAL fast.

Overall, I'm glad to have this set in spite of the missing material BUT I'm leaning against the purchase of another volume (should one be released) unless there are no cuts of skits or music. Part of me is hoping this release is not a "test the waters" release which will be followed by full seasons should it sell well. If so I'll feel somewhat ripped off as product from Shout! is typically a bit higher priced. This is one of those shows where they really should have released full seasons *or* a full series set.
I'd say the odds are against it, but it would be cool if that happened. There were what, 58 episodes? I'd be in for the whole thing if it were to get released.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I watched the 9/19/80 show last night. "A Night In Tehran" was pretty entertaining. Mark Blankfield's druggist was just as fun as I'd remembered as was Bruce Mahler's surreal "chicken man" skit. The Cars performing "Touch And Go" was pretty good too. All-in-all my favorite episode so far.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just watched the July 1980 episode featuring Roarke playing Reagan at the Republican convention and naming Bonzo as his running mate. A couple things: To be fair, Roarke's Reagan grew exponentially better from this rough and very early offering, and he's the first to admit it. By the time he was doing Reagan on Arsenio Hall or Ross Thomas and in appearances a few years later and brought the energy down, it was downright eerie (like he was channeling the guy) and easily better than Rich Little's or Phil Hartman's. Check YouTube. He also played George Bush (comically) in "Naked Gun 2 1/2" and (seriously) in "Courage Under Fire" (with Denzel Washington). Secondly, as someone who's wife grew up with a chimpanzee as an eighth sibling, the chimp used in that shot was an older chimp and Melanie Chartoff is very lucky it didn't freak out and rip her face off, as older chimps are extremely unpredictable, cranky, and hard to keep in line, especially in a crazy setting like that with a wild audience. Third, I really enjoyed Graham Parker, though he sounded pretty much like Elvis Costello of he same period.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
A later shot of Roarke playing Reagan on The Late Show. If that expression doesn't perfectly capture Reagan, I don't know what does.
Roarke as Reagan.jpg

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I just watched the 12/12/80 episode last night. "The Ronny Horror Show" was outstanding! They really nailed the look and feel of the movie. I'm also happy to report that Roarke's Reagan impression is now spot-on (just as I'd remembered). I also enjoyed the final "prison" sketch as it showed flashes of Larry David's "character" that he'd later play to perfection on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Anyone recall a Star Wars sketch where Reagan was revealed to be the Emperor? (And Vader had a wife in similar sinister garb.) I'd just like to know I didn't hallucinate that one. ;)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I met John Roarke while writing a Star Trek parody for a record called "The Wrath of Ron," where Roarke played Ronald Reagan as the villain emperor trying to destroy the universe. Though performed frequently live around L.A. and at the Ice House in Pasadena, the record ultimately never got released, but if you ever saw the bit, you would remember it. It was our attempt to do a full LP sketch comedy piece like David Frye's bestselling record about Nixon; "A Watergate Fantasy." It was a funny piece, I wish I still had a copy. Roarke's Star Trek impressions spot on.
SilverWook said:
Anyone recall a Star Wars sketch where Reagan was revealed to be the Emperor? (And Vader had a wife in similar sinister garb.) I'd just like to know I didn't hallucinate that one. ;)

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I just watched the Andy Kaufman episode (2/20/81) last night. All through the show he was "breaking character" which culminated in the infamous final sketch. IMO, the most interesting part of the episode was Bob Zmuda as the masked magician.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
I'm working my way through this set and am enjoying it. I'm watching one episode each Friday at pacific time to get into the west coast vibe of the show. :lol: Has anybody heard any rumblings of how this is selling? I'd like to see a second volume release next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks