What's new

Shout Factory to Put Out Roger Corman / New World Titles (1 Viewer)

Martin Welch

Agent
Real Name
Martin Welch
I just found this great news over at DVD Drive-In :

[COLOR= #000000]In April, Shout! Factory will commence a new series of DVD releases under the banner, “Roger Corman’s Cult Classics”, presenting classic titles from the New World Pictures film library. The first of these releases will be Barbara Peters' HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP (April 13), a two-disc special edition of Joe Dante’s PIRANHA (April 6) and a double feature of UP FROM THE DEPTHS/DEMON OF PARADISE (April 13). All titles will be presented with new anamorphic transfers, and PIRANHA will also be available on Blu-ray disc. We’ll post more details as they come in, but 2010 looks to be a great year for Shout! Factory.

Niceee! Now if Shout Factory could only get a hold of the remaining American International Pictures titles from the prison of MGM/Fox.[/COLOR]

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure if I have any Shout! Factory DVDs, but looks like that'll be changing now!

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Here's hoping for a remaster of "Battle Beyond the Stars".

I've read elsewhere that Shout has gotten the rights to the Gamera films.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Originally Posted by SilverWook

I've read elsewhere that Shout has gotten the rights to the Gamera films.
I hope that is true, because it would mean the likelihood of the release of the Gamera MST3K episodes just shot up.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
Corman also made a number of war movies one of them is Saigon Commandos.

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
Does this mean we might finally see 'It Conquered the World' and 'Not of This Earth' on DVD??? I hope I hope I hope...

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Holer

Does this mean we might finally see 'It Conquered the World' and 'Not of This Earth' on DVD??? I hope I hope I hope...

No, it doesn't as those are not owned by Corman.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Actually I believe Corman does own NOT OF THIS EARTH (and it's remakes) while IT CONQUERED THE WORLD is owned by Susan Hart (widow of James Nicholson).

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I would like to see a box set of the women in prison flix since the New concorde box set is now impossible to find.

Remastered editions of Women In Cages, The Big Doll House, The Arena and The Big Bird Cage.

Also, does anyone know anything about these R2 AIP releases from a while back: http://www.inthebalcony.com/page3.html

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
Well someone tell Susan Hart to get on the stick! 'It Conquered the World' is one of the great schlock sci-fi films! Who is this lady? Does she just have a closet full of movies somewhere that she is just letting go to rot? Does she own 'Head' too?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Holer /forum/thread/296140/shout-factory-to-put-out-roger-corman-new-world-titles#post_3643016

Actress Susan Hart was James H.Nicholson's second wife - in fact he had to sell a chunk of his shares in AIP due to his divorce to his first wife.

Nicholson along with AIP's other co-founder Sam Arkhoff kept ownership to several of the earlier AIP films - and when Filmways bought AIP, these films were not part of the package.

Sam's Son controls his share and Susan Hart contols James's half. But one can't do anything with the films without the other. This includes Remake rights.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Are any of these movies any good? Most of these movies are considered schlocky, hokey and campy and not really taken seriously as films with actual plotlines. Many of them are parodies of 50's monster movies with titles like "It came From...", "Chainsaw Hookers vs..." not really my cup of tea. I'm more interested in the post Corman New World titles previously handled by Anchor Bay. I would kill to see Dead End Drive-In on Blu.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Lionsgate released four AIP double features in early 06. Still available from Amazon, they are:

DAY THE WORLD ENDED/THE SHE CREATURE
EARTH VS. THE SPIDER/WAR OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST
HOW TO MAKE A MONSTER/BLOOD OF DRACULA
VIKING WOMEN AND THE SEA SERPENT/TEENAGE CAVEMAN

They are fun movies and I like having them, if for nothing else than the poster cover art--but be aware that they're not in the best of shape, mostly cropped with bad pan/scanning, like we saw them on TV.

Shout Factory has done a good job with most of its catalog product. I'd love to see a proper release of ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS.

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
Crab Monster is available in one of those cheapie DVD editions similar to Alpha video, but the print is suprisingly decent, considering. It's OOP but I think it occasionally pops up used on Amazon.

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
Originally Posted by Luisito34

Are any of these movies any good? Most of these movies are considered schlocky, hokey and campy and not really taken seriously as films with actual plotlines. Many of them are parodies of 50's monster movies with titles like "It came From...", "Chainsaw Hookers vs..." not really my cup of tea. I'm more interested in the post Corman New World titles previously handled by Anchor Bay. I would kill to see Dead End Drive-In on Blu.

Corman's movies aren't parodies of 50's monster movies, they ARE 50's monster movies in their own right, and the bottom of the barrel when it comes to effects, acting and actual monsters on screen, but they have a very unique charm about them also. The dialog is often hilariously earnest and is usually being bandied back and forth by an odd assortment of archetypes. There is also just a spirited energy of unbridled imagination to these films that makes them special for me. I know Corman made films in nearly every genre, but the early monster films he made with his brother Gene remain my favorite.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I hope this Corman deal doesn't take up all of Shout's time and resources...they have emerged as the new Anchor Bay for cult titles and they've done a fantastic job with The Stepfather and now Kingdom of the Spiders - let's keep more of them coming. The Corman library is made up of cult titles, I know, but I want to see more slasher-type stuff and horror films that don't border on camp, which is what I think of whenever I think of Roger Corman.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks