Shout Factory Press Release: The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis: The Complete Series

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 15, 2013.

1. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Amazon takes things down when they get returns. It could be something trivial or something serious. Maybe they shipped the set in a box where it slides around and the corner got bashed up resulting in returns. It could be that discs come loose during shipping and paranoid types returned it thinking that the discs will stop working one day. Or something serious like that there's a string of discs that don't play. With Amazon, you can never tell.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Then you're never going to get an answer because Amazon isn't going to highlight a problem with the products that they're selling.

3. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Cinematographer

Howie
    I'd bet it has something to do with the description. Amazon's is all over the place and indicates WS at least twice while also saying FS. My copy is currently showing "Shipping Now" so if it were something physical I'd think it would be on hold.

Gary OS likes this.
  4. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

well, i dont appreciate your tone.

people were being very helpful explaining various reasons why amazon does what they do. it helps with insight, when one does not know the exact reason.

Gary OS likes this.
  5. Jobla

Jobla Supporting Actor

If I find out, I'll offer some more theories.

6. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

you are a brand new poster, and thought it was acceptable to demonstrate that sort of demanding attitude ?

OUCH !!!

Jeff Willis and Gary OS like this.
  7. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    What makes you think this is the place to get the facts, m'am? This is a place for theories, not facts.

8. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    Jimmy's right. You asked for help and then complain when people are doing the best they can to assist and can't give you iron clad answers. No-one was required to help you. They were being nice. A mistake I'm guessing won't happen again

Jeff Willis, Ron1973 and Gary OS like this.
  9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

At this point, I think he's just trying to aggravate people so it's best to ignore him and not give him what he wants.

Jeff Willis and Ron1973 like this.
  10. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    Impolite - adjective: Not having or showing good manners; see Rude
    - Synonyms - rude, discourteous, uncivil, ill-mannered, boorish

Jeff Willis, Ron1973 and Gary OS like this.
  11. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Well, Joey, I do know what happened. The Skipper wasn't happy that it portrayed his "little buddy" as a Beatnik. He placed a call to Milburn Drysdale at the Commerce Bank in Beverly Hills since he was the one who bankrolled the whole thing secretly with Jed Clampett's money. Granny was so unhappy with the set she shot the television. So with Granny and The Skipper mad (I understand MaryAnn and Ginger weren't well pleased either), they had to pull the set. Hope that helps!

BobO'Link, Jeff Willis and Gary OS like this.
  12. Jobla

Jobla Supporting Actor

Thanks Ron. We now have the definitive answer, and can move on.

Jeff Willis, Gary OS and Ron1973 like this.
  13. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    On a lighter note , Bill O'Rielly had a fairly lengty segment about The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis on his Factor show last night. There was a clip from the show , they showed the DVD box art, and O'Reilly said it was one of his favorite show, was now on DVDand he already had a copy of the set in his "library". I would't be surprised if it helped Shout Factory sell some sets.

Ron1973, Gary OS and Jeff Willis like this.
  14. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

I saw that as well. [​IMG] I was wondering what else is on his shelf in the collection.

Hopefully, whatever the issue is, Amazon and the other e-tailer's will update their primary product pages soon about the issues with the set.

- Jeff "Gary, you can read my mind about what may happen here" W. :lol:

BobO'Link and Gary OS like this.
  15. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    If the no-spin man is for it, who could be against it? :)

Jeff Willis likes this.
  16. Cheetah

Cheetah Stunt Coordinator

My set was shipped in a box without protection for the set inside which resulted in it sliding around which in turn caused dents to some of the corners. It seems however that packing items for shipment without sufficient protection now appears to be the new norm for Amazon anyhow. At least that is the case in my recent experience.

I suspect that the issue may be with how the set is listed. Robert already pointed out the incorrect aspect ratio. That possibly combined with the number of discs stated. In the product details section it says 21 discs, then lower down on the page in the product description section it says 20 discs. If you look at the image of the box set at the top of the spine with an expanded view it says "20-DVD set". However in that same spot on the set I received it says "21-DVD set".

17. BobO'Link

Howie
    Mine came in a box with *lots* of other stuff (they packed it with my monthly "subscribe and save" shipment). At least the person doing the packing put in enough pillow packs to cushion everything sufficiently and the set arrived undamaged. I've received packages lately where a DVD set is put in a box far too large with little or no cushioning added. One set came in a plain paper mailer that had been crushed! I do enough ordering from Amazon that I *know* they have box sizes that accommodate almost anything but it seems that it's either up to the whim of the packer or they have a automated process that tells the packer which size box/package to use and the packer chooses the amount of additional padding. In any case I always fill out the "shipping feedback" form to let them know of possible issues.

I agree with the "Item under Review" issue reason. Their listing is/(was) all over the place and judging on many of the "reviews" on the site many people lack the capacity to read and/or comprehend such discrepencies much less do actual research to determine what's correct.

As far as DeepDiscount I'm thinking they simply sold out their available stock. I've seen them do this in the past when they couldn't quickly replenish inventory. As several sites are now showing the set with "in stock in 5-10 days" type messages it makes me wonder if Shout underestimated the demand.

That said, here's the link to the set at DeepDiscount:

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis Complete Series which shows "Usually ships in 5-10 days." I was able to add it to my cart without the "OOS warning" you get when it's really gone.

It's not available by doing a search on their site but *can* be easily found via Google.

18. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I've been watching this show and really enjoying it . I think Shout Factory did a great job with it . But I've been wondering - does anyone know why the closing credits couldn't be remastered ?

19. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    My guess would be that it saved them money since the original credits contained sponsor logos that they would have needed to cover.

20. BobO'Link

Howie
    The state of the credits slightly bothers me too. I'd also say the reason was to "save money" but considering the MSRP it seems a bit of a money grab if that's the case as the credits are pretty bare-boned and shouldn't take much to "restore". A few episodes I've seen *do* have restored credits but I've not payed enough attention to see if those were more "generic" in nature (no guest star or cast change). If they could see fit to do a few then why not all? I seriously doubt it was because of sponsor logos because those would not be on the 35mm master or negative but only on prints sent to the network for airing.

I'm 2 seasons into the set and, other than some continuity issues (which can be attributed to poor production/management/scripting and/or lack of a production bible), that's been my only real gripe.

If the state of the credits is any indication of what they were given to work with for restoration I'm amazed there's not more damage evident in the episodes themselves.