Shout Factory Press Release: It's Garry Shandling's Show: The Complete Series DVD

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]
    [SIZE= 11pt]GARRY SHANDLING’S GROUNDBREAKING FIRST TELEVISION SERIES
    TO DEBUT ON DVD OCTOBER 20
    [/SIZE][SIZE= 14pt][/SIZE][SIZE= 14pt]Production Underway for the Long-awaited[/SIZE][SIZE= 14pt] [/SIZE][SIZE= 14pt]
    [/SIZE][SIZE= 14pt]It’s Garry Shandling’s Show: The Complete Series [/SIZE][SIZE= 14pt]DVD Box Set[/SIZE][SIZE= 14pt][/SIZE][SIZE= 14pt]from Shout! Factory for Worldwide Home Entertainment Release[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 14pt][/SIZE][SIZE= 12pt] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 11pt]Los Angeles[/SIZE][SIZE= 11pt], California[/SIZE][SIZE= 11pt] – Shout! Factory, in collaboration with Garry Shandling, has announced the start of DVD production on a spectacular new complete series collector’s set of Shandling’s groundbreaking first TV series It’s Garry Shandling’s Show. For years, fans and critics alike have been anxiously waiting for the DVD release of the show, which has never been available on home video. It’s Garry Shandling’s Show: The Complete Series DVD box set is set to debut for the first time on DVD and digital distribution this October 20, 2009.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 11pt] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 11pt]The DVD box set will be comprised of 16-DVDs, featuring the complete 72 episodes from the entire four seasons, a payload of bonus content and much more – all collected in a lavish package. Garry Shandling and Shout! Factory are currently developing a wide range of in-depth bonus content, including extensive featurettes, commentaries, outtakes and much more![/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 11pt] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 11pt]Before the Internet and reality TV, no one saw the true potential of television more humorously and with more vision than award-winning actor/writer/producer/director Garry Shandling. In 1986 Shandling was poised to become a permanent guest host on Johnny Carson’s The Tonight Show. Instead, he took a chance on an offer from fledgling cable network to create his own television series.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 11pt] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 11pt]Shandling teamed with Saturday Night Live’s Alan Zweibel, and a crew of talented young writers including Tom Gammill & Max Pross, Al Jean & Michael Reiss, David Mirkin (Seinfeld and The Simpsons) and Ed Solomon (Men in Black). With the September 1986 premiere, television history was made. TV Guide immediately recognized the show as “audacious, satirical, hip, sophisticated and wonderfully silly, and often miraculously all of the above at the same time.” It’s Garry Shandling’s Show went on to garner numerous honors and accolades. In 1988, the show was the first cable comedy series to receive multiple Emmy® nominations for Outstanding Writing in a Comedy Series and Outstanding Directing in a Comedy Series. Over the years, guest stars (playing themselves) on It’s Garry Shandling’s Show included Tom Petty, Rob Reiner, Vanna White, Dan Aykroyd, Martin Mull, Gilda Radner (in her last TV performance), Carl Reiner, Chevy Chase, Red Buttons, Jeff Goldblum, The Turtles, Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley and more.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 11pt] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 11pt]A surreal look at the daily life of a young single man who is a comedian, It’s Garry Shandling’s Show was not a typical sitcom. In an incredibly bold show of respect for his viewers, Shandling broke the “fourth wall” and included the studio audience and the viewers at home in on the actual making of the show, while performing in the show. Experimenting with the sitcom form meant inviting the audience onto the set, playing with the passage of time (“It’s now two weeks later”), and generally exploding the genre and making art of the debris.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 11pt] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 11pt]From its unforgettable theme song to its closing credits, It’s Garry Shandling’s Show epitomized award-winning, mind-bending television for four seasons, and its influence is clearly seen in the best TV comedies through the decades to follow.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 11pt] [/SIZE]

2. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    After the disappointing sales of Larry Sanders, I never though we'd see this series at all. It's a great idea putting out the entire series since this is a bit of a cult series and the devoted fans who remember it will be thrilled to have it all at once. This beats having it come out with a first season release and then disappear completely due to low sales.

I'm hoping for extras and commentaries. I'll be holding my breath while I do this.

3. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I'd never even heard of this series but I did enjoy Larry Sanders quite a bit but Shandling himself can get on my nerves...is this worth checking out?

Hopefully Shout! can get a hold of the rest of Larry Sanders and put it out there.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

It's been forever since I've seen this show (though I love The Larry Sanders Show) but I'm giving this a rental since the price tag is pretty big for a blind buy.

5. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    This show was brilliant and funny and holds up. But if you don't want to spring for the complete series, I strongly recommend the Not Just The Best of The Larry Sanders Show best-of set that was released a couple years ago. It's a keeper and a re-watcher in my collection. Besides a great sampling of the episodes, the generous extra content is worth the price alone: Garry hanging out playing basketball with David Ducovny, boxing with Alec Baldwin, cooking with Sharon Stone - each quite a good length piece, and all wickedly witty.

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I remember this show when it originally aired and thought
    it was brilliantly funny. I love any show that breaks down
    the fourth wall and involves the viewer in on the joke.

I would jump in a heartbeat to purchase this show, but alas,
    it is awfully expensive. Think I will wait until it eventually drops
    to a lower price.

7. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    I remember this show when it aired on FOX, back when the network was just getting started. The only episode I can recall is the ping-pong one, where Gary gets shot in the hand by some woman, and he was not able to play after that.

8. MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein Supporting Actor

Misha Lauenstein
    If Garry gets on your nerves, then this might not be the right show for you.

9. texboil

texboil Stunt Coordinator

Jeff Robbins
    This to me is the perfect synergy of a show that I've been waiting a long time for and a label -- Shout! Factory -- that honestly is the only label I go out of my way to support. I feel forever indebted to SF for putting SCTV out on DVD (yes, they didn't finish it but I blame sales, not SF for that), as well as F&G and The Secret Policeman's Balls box set.

Is it overpriced? Sure, but I have little doubt it will be a fantastic set. I'm there.

10. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    I'm working my way through this and will have my review up fairly soon, but fans won't be disappointed. Shout! Factory has done an excellent job on this. The episodes look very good and there are extras, including some commentaries by Gary Shandling and Alan Zweibel.