Shout Factory Press Release: Clive Barker's Nightbreed The Director's Cut Limited Edition

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I broke down and ordered the Limited Edition. I saw Night Breed in the theaters twice upon its release and have always felt it was a damaged classic. I never thought I'd see the day when the longer cut would surface. When it did, on multi-generational VHS, I was pleased but still sad that the original film elements were, apparently, gone for good. The announcement that they had found the original negatives for the cuts was a total surprise. Yes, the price is high. I never once felt it was because Shout Factory were trying to gouge the fans. It had to have cost them a pretty penny to do the work on the Director's Cut and WB are notoriously stingy when it comes to sub-licensing their catalog. I'm buying that version to support a label that is genuinely seeking out and releasing films for genre fans and doing a great job of doing so. There aren't many labels like Shout Factory out there and, sad to say, I don't know how much longer physical media will be around.

(PS The poster is available for all pre-orders of the LE from the Shout Factory site. The "1,000 copies" thing was just to entice those collectors for whom a low-numbered copy is important.)

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Not to knock anyone's collecting habits but even as a guy who has a large collection of all kinds of junk, I couldn't care less about a lower number. I guess it'd be neat to have #1 but it's not like copy #74 plays better than copy #3,978.

3. McCrutchy

McCrutchy Second Unit

Sean
    I have never understood this, either. With any desirable release, copies 1, 5,000, and other "important" numbers usually go to people involved with the release. I guess with any horror release, there is always the coveted #666, but since every copy is identical to the next, there is literally no benefit to one number over another.

4. Jari K

Jari K Producer

5. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I'd be surprised if this one doesn't sell out sooner than later. A lot of horror fans have been waiting for this one. I don't see the Limited Edition of 5000 being around for "years and years" as someone else posted.

Having no idea how or if this is going to ship from traditional retailers, I pre-ordered through shout. Being in Canada, I most likely would have to of paid the shipping/duty fees anyway, and I don;t mind Shout/Scream getting a few extra bucks since they went to original elements. Just hope they don't muck it up by over processing it.

6. Jari K

Jari K Producer

"Having no idea how or if this is going to ship from traditional retailers.."I guess people assume that it'll be available, but then again Demons 1&2 are not available through Amazon etc (at least not after the Steelbook sets are sold out).This LE business is getting confusing.

7. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    I have an Alien Director's Cut poster hanging in my office numbered 4232 of 5000. Doesn't make it any less special to me.

8. McCrutchy

McCrutchy Second Unit

Sean
    Clearly, the branding has paid off, because Shout! will now allocate 2,500 copies (half the run) to their store, not 2,000.

9. Corey II

Corey II Agent

Corey
    So it is finally being released. I remember when Scream (Shout) Factory first made the announcement about the Director's Cut of Nightbreed at the San Diego Comic-Con two years ago. It is also coming out not too far after the release of the Halloween Blu-Ray collection. September and October should be a great time for horror fans.

Speaking of Halloween, Scream Factory was at the Halloween: 35 Years of Terror convention (in Pasadena, CA) talking about the Nightbreed release. If I remember correctly, the staff said the missing footage that was found, was not in the best condition, so the director's cut blu-ray will not be as pristine as other films that Scream Factory has done in the past. Of course, this annoucement was back in November of 2013, hopefully much has changed since then.

10. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

Exactly how was their release model for the two DEMONS films a "mistake", if I may ask? You earlier referred to it as a "fiasco", but now it's a "mistake". Would you care to explain the difference between a "mistake" and "fiasco", and exactly how you came to the conclusion that the Synapse Films releases of DEMONS and DEMONS 2 qualify as either?

Vincent

11. McCrutchy

McCrutchy Second Unit

Sean
    Vincent, if my choice of words causes you anxiety or distress, then for that, I apologize. It was not my intention to draw your ire.Otherwise, I don't see the point in discussing what was merely an example in an earlier post any further.

12. Jari K

Jari K Producer

"Exactly how was their release model for the two DEMONS films a "mistake", if I may ask?"At first it probably seemed that these releases doesn't sell well enough, but I guess they've been selling (slowly, but steadily):"150 DEMONS and less than 500 DEMONS 2 Steelbooks left"

13. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I don't think an apology is warranted frankly. It was a pedantic post in the first place and I'm sure many of us agree with you that their pricing and sales model was goofy.

14. Jari K

Jari K Producer

15. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Do they post to the UK or just USA and Canada, if the latter then how do i actually make the purchase. ?

16. Worth

Worth Screenwriter

Nick Dobbs
    Only the US and Canada.

17. Jari K

Jari K Producer

They only ship to the US, and perhaps Canada (not sure). Not in Europe. In the podcast Cliff MacMillan says that the set will be available on Amazon.com "in a couple of weeks". So it's coming!

18. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Okay well that's good, is Demons available to buy from a retailer too. ?

19. Jari K

Jari K Producer

Not yet, but Demons 1&2 are from Synapse. They said that they don't know yet what'll happen after the steelbook editions are sold out.

FoxyMulder likes this.
  20. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    Diabolik is taking pre-orders for both NIGHTBREED releases, though they've been having server issues from tons of people bombarding them.